Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Willing to mentor?

So, I have been seriously contemplating detailing "on the side" for a while now. The summer months are approaching, I`ve been getting my stuff unpacked and organized, and been seriously looking at it. There are still quite a few steps ahead of me but I am getting there.

I`ve been reading articles, and will most likely purchase Renny Doyle`s book, but there is still something missing.

I feel that it would be extremely helpful to have a person, or a couple people, to actually speak to one-on-one about this entire business thing. As I said, I`ve read the articles, and I know that I can make as many threads as I`d like to and I`m sure I`d get an ample amount of replies, but sometimes just having somebody that I could reach out to via text, email, PM, or anything more than a public web forum.

I read an article here, on Autopia Forums, that spoke about business coaching and mentoring (Business Coaching and Mentoring) but couldn`t find a list or anything that says who may be willing. Yes, I could PM members and ask them personally but that just seems too much like cold-calling for my liking. Instead, I chose to create this thread to ask those willing to help to post.

So, if you are willing to help out future business owners (or more properly, possible future business owners), please post the following:

Location: General area okay if you aren`t comfortable with an exact city/town. I just feel this is important since Florida is different than Wisconsin in terms of weather and seasons.)
    Work Location: Are you mobile? Work from home? Shop? Some combination of the above?
    Specialty:
    What do you feel you could really contribute to someone?
    Experience: How long have you been running your business?

I won`t ask anyone to post any personal information on the forum, if you choose to give that to a potential start-up that will be for you to decide via your method of choice.

Thank you to anyone willing to help!

If I did miss a similar thread, please point me in the right direction.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.
    Likes ShakingHorizons, 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Willing to mentor?

Nobody? Maybe this wasn`t as good of an idea as I thought it was.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Thanks qrwteyrutiyoup thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Im no pro... but will offer my weekend warrior 2cents to any local inquirer so here goes

Work location: mobile and garage (home) based

Specialty: nothing special, but willing to help for the good of detailing in any way i can.
    I`ve tried a whole lot of products and made a few mistakes along the way and have learned a lot from autopia members. I ran this full time for two years and started with a $64 purchase, i know first hand how hard it is to get started.

Experience: been getting better since i started my legitimate business in 2012.

Brandt K.
    Likes trashmanssd, RDKC, qrwteyrutiyoup liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think its a great idea.

The only issue might be to get the "best detailers" that are pros and can really help you on the business end; to do this might be hard as their time is valuable.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What part of Florida are you in?

We (Dwayne and I) have both been doing this from both sides for a very long time .

Save your money on books and videos, hands on is the only way to gain experience.. there are plenty of good and bad examples on youtube too ...

We always try to give as much helpful advice as we can as we have all struggled at one time or another.

Feel free to post questions or give us a call in the office. If we are not swamped, we will help anyone that we can

If you are close enough, come on by
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com
    Likes Stokdgs, RDKC, qrwteyrutiyoup liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, RDKC thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post

We (Dwayne and I) have both been doing this from both sides for a very long time .

Save your money on books and videos, hands on is the only way to gain experience.. there are plenty of good and bad examples on youtube too ...

We always try to give as much helpful advice as we can as we have all struggled at one time or another.

Feel free to post questions or give us a call in the office. If we are not swamped, we will help anyone that we can

^^^^^^^ It will never get better than those guys - and they are already in Fla !

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Not in Florida, I`m one of the ones that is hoping to move there sometime in the next couple years. Who knows though, things seem to change drastically and rapidly more often than not.

I have watched both good and bad on YouTube and I agree about experience being gained from hands on. But I was hoping for some pointers from the business side. I would love to get help with the hands on, but due to my work schedule and required income that`s not really a possibility right now with the local shops.

Mostly just looking for advice and, especially after seeing a lot of people post, figured more than me could benefit from a list like this.

If I could make the money appear I would love to take a trip down there for AG`s boot camp and to swing into AG, Autopia, Poorboys, wherever I could.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RDKC View Post
    Not in Florida, I`m one of the ones that is hoping to move there sometime in the next couple years. Who knows though, things seem to change drastically and rapidly more often than not.

I have watched both good and bad on YouTube and I agree about experience being gained from hands on. But I was hoping for some pointers from the business side. I would love to get help with the hands on, but due to my work schedule and required income that`s not really a possibility right now with the local shops.

Mostly just looking for advice and, especially after seeing a lot of people post, figured more than me could benefit from a list like this.

If I could make the money appear I would love to take a trip down there for AG`s boot camp and to swing into AG, Autopia, Poorboys, wherever I could.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    oh, that`s right ... I have helped many start up businesses in the past and between Dwayne and I we`ve experienced most of the things you learn from and grow.
    Let us know if you are looking to become a detailer, a reseller of products (good weekend work at car shows and summer cruise nights), or what you had in mind. If you don`t want to discuss it in the open forum just send me a pm or email .., but many people may have the same questions you have

Likes RDKC liked this post
    Thanks RDKC thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Contact Meguiars customer service and ask for your local business rep. They may know of classes in your area.
    Likes RDKC liked this post
    Thanks RDKC thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

oh, that`s right ... I have helped many start up businesses in the past and between Dwayne and I we`ve experienced most of the things you learn from and grow.
    Let us know if you are looking to become a detailer, a reseller of products (good weekend work at car shows and summer cruise nights), or what you had in mind. If you don`t want to discuss it in the open forum just send me a pm or email .., but many people may have the same questions you have
    Thank you for the offer and I may take you up on it sometime in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Contact Meguiars customer service and ask for your local business rep. They may know of classes in your area.
    Thanks for the tip, I will definitely have to try that soon.

Not trying to resurrect an old thread but I figured I`d post. I don`t want to seem ungrateful for the help. Between work, working on the house, and researching/working on starting my own business I haven`t had a whole lot of time to post around here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RDKC View Post
    Thank you for the offer and I may take you up on it sometime in the future.

Not trying to resurrect an old thread but I figured I`d post. I don`t want to seem ungrateful for the help. Between work, working on the house, and researching/working on starting my own business I haven`t had a whole lot of time to post around here.
    no worries, we`ll be here when you are ready

Post Thanks / Like

no worries, we`ll be here when you are ready
    That is totally cool of you guys. It`s actually had me thinking about things. But, I`ll put in on hold til after my wedding. And my gf didn`t go for my idea of having MF towels instead of napkins, or tubs of paste wax sitting on each table.
    Likes Migue liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    That is totally cool of you guys. It`s actually had me thinking about things. But, I`ll put in on hold til after my wedding. And my gf didn`t go for my idea of having MF towels instead of napkins, or tubs of paste wax sitting on each table.

not even sample sizes jars?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    mini grit-guards on top of coasters
    Gamma Seal lids as plates for appetizers
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
    mini grit-guards on top of coasters
    Gamma Seal lids as plates for appetizers
    and everyone gets a bucket to sit on