Post Thanks / Like

Bad experience and just starting out....

Well, I have had my mobile detailing business equipment for a few months now and I havent really started useing it much since I cant think of a name so I can go through with getting my business cards and fliers made up. I was working the other day (one of the first few days I got out there and actually did something) and I had two vehicles line up, a King Ranch F-250 and a tahoe. I did the king ranch and then took the vehicle back to the customer and picked up the tahoe (the vehicles were parked at the same place and I had to wash them about 300 feet down the road). While I was washing the king ranch a construction worker from a near by construction site walked up and asked how much for a basic wash on his 96 mustang. I gave him a price and he handed me the keys and the money. I did the mustang after the tahoe, so it would be the third vehicle for the day. I got done with the mustang and the keys to it were sitting on his seat. At about that point I noticed that I had some keys in my pocket. I looked at them and they were keys to a ford. I thought about it for a second and just assumed that the mustang had an extra set of keys in it.

FAST FOWARD. I was eating dinner with my family later that night when I got a call from the owner of the king ranch. He explained that he couldnt find his keys anywhere and asked if I had any ideas. I told him I would check my truck and get back to him in a few. After I got off the phone with im I thought about it and I couldnt remember ever giving the guys keys back to him. After I miniute it dawned on me..... The keys to the king ranch were in the front seat of the mustang! ! ! . I didnt know what I was going to seeing as I didnt know who the guy was and I didnt have any contact information for him. I called the guy with the F-250 back and explained to him what was going on and that I could get his keys back to him in the morning and he was surpriseingly cool about it. The next morning I went back to the construction site and the mustang was no where to be found. After walking around the site for a few miniutes and talking to several people I managed to get someone on the phone who could get in contact with the mustang owner. 15 miniutes later he showed up with the keys. I was so relived to get it all worked out and so relived that the customer in the F-250 was so easy to get along with about it. I told him that his next wash was on me and that I was sorry for the mix up. Live and learn I guess....

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bad experience and just starting out....

It happens, Sounds like you handled it very professionally. Now you have learned that you should take down contact info prior to a detail just in case. Also it would be good to get some kind of a tag to put on the keys of each car, maybe even just a post it note to distinguish the keys of each car.

Greg

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Happens sometimes. I`m at a shop, and it still happens. I recommend customers have an extra set in case of mix-ups, and I have a couple of customers leave me keys permenantly.
    You did well. Offer a free wash and people will think you rock.
    Brenton Dickieson

Post Thanks / Like

You handled that very well. That experience could have ended bad, but you were honest and put time into locating the keys. We all make mistakes, but what seperates the good from the bad is those who admit there is or was a problem and they put the time into solving it.
    Danny J. Whitehead

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GregCavi
    It happens, Sounds like you handled it very professionally. Now you have learned that you should take down contact info prior to a detail just in case...
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Detail
    ...You did well. Offer a free wash and people will think you rock.
    As above. By immediately taking ownership of the problem and being straightforward and forthcoming with your customer just bought you future credibility with him. The free wash, a sign of goodwill didn`t hurt either.

IMO you always want to take down contact info from your customers. You want to be able to contact them to send them "thanks for your business" follow-up, ask for more business, use them (with permission) as a reference.

Post Thanks / Like

good thing everything worked out. Its not a big deal, you live and learn. I think giving him a free wash was a great idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Great ethics and honesty! You handled that professionally and as stated by others, gained credibility in the eyes of the customer. Key tags work!

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve drove off with keys in my pocket a number of times over the past 15 years being mobile. Usually I notice it quickly. Two times though I have been called about them. Fortunately everyone has been very understanding about it. Another thing to watch out for is don`t sit the keys down inside the car. I`ve personally never done this but has a helper that sat the keys to a covertte and they got locked inside. Fortunately it was a weekly customer and he was able to get a set from home. Here are a few other things to look out for.

Keep some rearview mirror adhesive on hand. Don`t get the area where the mirror attaches wet with glass cleaner. This will go along way in keeping them up there. Eventually you will bump a mirror and it will come off. Hopefully it won`t break. Having the adhesive on hand will save you considerable time. I`ve had mirrors fall off on their own when I shut a door.

Never ever ever ever leave an open door unprotected when it is near another vehicle. I keep a hand on it or a foot under the door when I`m cleaning glass. I often can`t move vehicles and can wash them next to each other without getting other vehicle wet. Watch the doors though as the wind can grab it easily. A mobile friend of mine dented a vehicle. Lucky for him someone popped the dent out for $60 and the owner was happy.

Leaning on center console armrests is a bad idea too. Use caution on convertible top plastic windows. If they are old and stitched in they can push in easily. I also like to check power seats to make sure they are clear underneath and before I move it forward make sure it goes backwards too. Busted a drinking glass under a seat one time that way. Had another seat go up but wouldn`t go back at first. Fortunately it moved back after a few times. When opening doors it`s a good idea to look in first. I`ve opened doors and had stuff fall out on to the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Everybody makes mistakes sounds like you handled it well though!!

The king ranch guy sounds like a good guy too.

Post Thanks / Like

Leaning on center console armrests is a bad idea too. Use caution on convertible top plastic windows. If they are old and stitched in they can push in easily. I also like to check power seats to make sure they are clear underneath and before I move it forward make sure it goes backwards too.
    Ive actually had a front seat spring forward on an Opel and crack the windscreen! You gotta read up on all the design faults like this.

Thread Information