Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Love my 2005 Spectra SX! 05spectraSX's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Question auto detail profession

how much money does professional auto detailing make? anyone know how much a person is charged to take their car in to be detailed?

I was thinking of going in the auto detailing business myself.
    Take care of your car, for the money you payed for it, the car deserves it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: auto detail profession

First of all you have to be good at what you do
    second it depends on where you live and what your area is willing to pay
    third compotition in your area,is there any?
    the list goes on but as to how much to charge and how busy you can stay really depends on your area and how good you are along with good marketing skills

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 05spectraSX
    how much money does professional auto detailing make? anyone know how much a person is charged to take their car in to be detailed?

I was thinking of going in the auto detailing business myself.
    I would recommend calling some detailing places in your area to see what they charge, just so u get an idea of what ppl are willing to pay. In my area noone will pay more than 150 to get their car detailed. Just for example I charge 100$(cars) 135$ (SUV, trucks, Vans) for wash, clay, aio wax, vacuum, shampoo carpets, windows, etc. It usually takes me anywhere for 3-4 hrs. I would try to shoot for 30-40 $ an hour, so if it takes u 3 hrs, u should charge b/tween 90-120$

good luck

ps.. talk to me at the end of the year and i tell what an auto detailer makes

a step ahead
    Post Thanks / Like

There are no easy answers to your questions, since multiple factors play into the equation.

In reference to your first question, the amount of money you make is a direct correlation to the effort you put into yourself and your business. If you were to poll professional detailers you will hear pay scales for ~$15000 - to over six figures. Part of your business plan should be goal setting and your target income. That income needs to be realistic and the object is to make it so the business is profitable/rewarding. For some that may be $25000 for others it could be $50000. Money is not the sole motivator for some running their own business and are willing to sacrifice income for flexibility in schedule, family or rewards in self employment. You can make what you want as long as you are willing to work for it. This is not an easy business!

Regarding your second question, the amount charged for detailing. Once again there is no single answer. Price reflects what the market will bare, quality and services offered. Definitions of detailing are vague and not used
    with consistensy which only confuses the general public. There are establishments that offer a "detail" that consists of :car wash, vac, windows and a coat of wax while you wait, to be completed in less than an hour for ~$50. On the other hand, a client comes to my store for a detail which requires 4-8hrs of work, appointment and over a hundred steps from a price range of $200 - 600. It is amazing how many people don`t realize there are levels of detailing and that this is not a cookie cutter profession. When determining your price levels you need to look at the competition and see what they are offering in terms of service, price and quality. Then a consideration has to be made on the cost of business- i.e. rent, utilities,supplies,equipment,advertising,insurance etc.. Knowing the costs upfront allows you to come up with a budget. Then you can figure out how many cars will it take to cover the expenses, save a little and pay yourself.

I know the answers provided were not concrete, but there are no simple answers. Each owner is unique in his/her contraints,goals and ambitions. One thing I would suggest is use the resources available to you in developing a business. There are typically local organizations, SBA for one, that offer counseling(usually free) in business development. Go to the Chamber,they might be able to assist you. Research is key, don`t jump in blind. There is very helpful information here at Detail City.

If you decide to take the plunge, my suggestion to you is : DO NOT try to be lowest priced detailer!! I can`t tell you how many guys each year, come to me saying they are going to `take me down` just based on their cut rate pricing. It won`t work no matter how many cars you get if the price can not carry the expenses.

Good luck
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like

If your looking at opening a shop or a mobile rig I would hold off for atleast 6 months, some will say more, but i think thats enough time if you dedicate yourself to trying things out, for example i started detailing 6 months ago almost to the day, in those 6 months i have learned a ton, ive tried new things been on this forum more then a should an can now contrubte a little not much but ya. I think becasue i was doin my familys cars, my freinds, my famil freinds ive learned what i need, i end u doing about 10 cars a month for free just to hone my skills. If you want to open a shop i would say start by trying things out fro free, find a freind with a beat up car and say youll detail it for a beer, or dinner (the beer one is more popular lol) and just ahve fun, learn the skills and check here all the time, read read read and then read somemore there are alot of things that can be debated try both side and make your own descion, be willing to to spend the money to buy usless products just to try them
    and above all have fun with it
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Love my 2005 Spectra SX! 05spectraSX's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

you need a permit to work with the general public, right? like business wise.

what happens when you get old and frail. And you can`t work anymore, what are you suppose to do. your not going to be making any money.
    Take care of your car, for the money you payed for it, the car deserves it.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a lot that you have to think about. Being in Mass you won`t have any income for 4-6 months of the year because of the winter possibly. There is a lot to learn about the business before you should begin considering detailing. As others have said you have to practice practice practice. You need to know the ins and outs of detailing and that will come by working on cars. But search here and learn as much as you can. It`s easy to make a new car look new, but how are you doing to deal with junker cars. Do you have any idea what the customers are going to pay? Or what are you thinking of offereing. Doug is spot on- there is no simple answers to a business.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

it`a hard especially in the summer (in FL anyway) but the money can actually be decent, i used to work for a place located downtown with about 10 other guys, we got a ton of business, actually most of it was upper class nice cars, i got to drive benzes, bmws, jags on a daily basis, not to mention the the bentleys, masseraties and aston martins. it really depends on location if you`re in a rich town like i was the cars can be new and fairly easy to detail plus the tips are good. (not to mention you get to drive some pretty cool cars)

i made about $10 per wash (outer wash, bugs, carpets, vaccuum, windows, rims, tire shine) and about $45 per detail (includes all washing plus compounding when needed, waxing, and conditioning) plus tips. once you`ve been doing it for a while you can get fast and knock out 2-3 washes per hour which could be up to $30 hr plus tips, the details were even better if you got a newer car and could do them in under an hour. anyway the real money is when you own the place, we had to pay commisions to the owner for each car, we charged $15 per wash(gave owner 5) and $55 per detail (gave owner 10) at the end of the day he could collect somewhere around $400-$500 and he wasn`t even there, he just came to pick up commissions.

one thing i do have to say is if you`re the owner make sure you can trust your guys, there was some shady doings around that place as scamming commissions, i wasn`t involved but lets just say the manager couldn`t be trusted.

anyway it`s not a bad business especially if you`re in the right location, you just need to work hard to get it started and get your customer base built, that`s why we kept so busy, we had a ton of regulars.

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

IT IS A BUSINESS.
    Itcan go either way.
    Brenton Dickieson

Post Thanks / Like

yes you do need a buinsess licene to run a detail shop. I know in canada you need a gst number on revenue over 30G/yr. im not sure what the tax laws are in the states check it our.

what happens when you get old and frail. And you can`t work anymore, what are you suppose to do. your not going to be making any money.
    As to the when you get frail tough beans, the choices are to have your kids support you, live on wellfare, (both of witch i hate) or save for retierment,. If you want a plan for that read the richest man in babylon.
    this book states to save 10% of all you income and pay yourself before your bills. Good luck with gettiing old
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

I love silicone !! Hawaiianelement's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

do it part time , and go mobile . Especially if you`re in a state that has all 4 seasons ! well you know what I mean . snow was something I never had to worry about .

You can use your own vehicle , get some business cards and t -shirts , the right products and can make 20 k a year not really trying.
    04 Honda Element-Mobile Detailing
    02 BMW 325Ci Tit. Slvr. Sprt,Prem.
    05 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Red Magma

Post Thanks / Like

I am just starting out with a simple Wash and Wax type deal, at least until I get some experience and feel more comfortable with actual detailing. The thing I worry about most is trying to separate myself from the 10 other yahoo shops that leave swirls all over your car and the ones that do a $150 "detail" on your car that is really just a wash and wax and have no idea what claying a car is.

Post Thanks / Like

detailing is a super tough business to get started in, for one if you try to attract customers and advertise most people shop by price only, no matter what services you offer.... the only way you can really efficiently grow is word to mouth, if a customer asks if i can get a deal or discount, i always say absolutely, give me 5 full detail customers and i will give you a free wash and wax(one hour of work) customer gives me 5, $150 or more customers, then they tell 5 people, then they tell 5 people...... when i started i would give a discount to customers that ask and never see them again, discounts dont attract long term costumers, long term customers attract discounts

Post Thanks / Like

discounts dont attract long term costumers, long term customers attract discounts

Truest words ever spoken

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

You want in? You can have my business.
    Brenton Dickieson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information