Thread: Detailing Dogs?

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing Dogs?

I got to thinking when JoeDetail was talking about his new job, whether anyone here has a small shop or coin op and offers self-serve dog cleaning in the winter.

Our shop is pretty slow (in three average February days I did better than all of January, so maybe things are picking up). I guess it would be for next year, but if I could figure out some kind of table they could set the dog on, and get some shampoo, it might work.

Same problem--community education--they gotta know. But is this totally dumb? A pet wash.

btw, I`m not thinking pet boutique with effeminate men and artsy women and dogs in bows.
    Brenton Dickieson

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing Dogs?

Don`t sound like a bad gig. The only problem would be dealing with the dogs that don`t want to be cleaned. I`ve seen some at the local pet shop try tear the whole place up. There`s the cute pup then there`s the dog from hell! I love dogs and all, but I would just stick to the detailing and put that extra money into advertising.

Post Thanks / Like

You could always have one that looks like old Sam show up for a wash!

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, there is just such a place here. They offer coin op car wash, pet wash and laundry, which makes sense, seeing as how "commercial" water has to be filtered before going into the city water, so you may as well have a few "water based" businesses under one roof.
    That said, a few things arise. 1) The pet part is never busy. I think I`ve seen it being used maybe 2 times in the last year. Not to say that it isn`t busy; just that I haven`t seen much business there. 2) Make sure you have the pet wash and coin op car wash areas WELL labeled and separated, as you wouldn`t want to be peeling Fifi off the wall when someone pulls the trigger on the car wash side thinking it`s where the pets get washed.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BLUELINE 1
    You could always have one that looks like old Sam show up for a wash!

BUWAHAHAHA....I had seen another pic of that dog, and it looked like it had 10 toes....all of about a foot long......FREAKY dog....

If one did show up like that, I would hog tie it in the corner and get out the pressure washer...LMAO
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

There is a place here that you can take your dog or cat for washing yourself.....I`ve not been but do know of people that have and they love it!

They said that they are all setup for it with soap and stuff of that nature.

Converting your detail shop to this well? that`s an idea but I don`t think that it would fly with pet owners...IMO
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

It`s not exactly rocket science and its rather profitable (at least $40 for wash, groom, cut, trim nails, brush teeth, etc) and a two-man team could do 8-16 a day (based on what I`ve heard).

I would look into it a bit more as pets tend to be scared of water, buzzers, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Detail
    I got to thinking when JoeDetail was talking about his new job, whether anyone here has a small shop or coin op and offers self-serve dog cleaning in the winter.

Our shop is pretty slow (in three average February days I did better than all of January, so maybe things are picking up). I guess it would be for next year, but if I could figure out some kind of table they could set the dog on, and get some shampoo, it might work.

Same problem--community education--they gotta know. But is this totally dumb? A pet wash.

btw, I`m not thinking pet boutique with effeminate men and artsy women and dogs in bows.
    Pei i thinks its a good idea, getting itoff and running is another. I had a chocolate cocker spaniel (Mocha)and i also thought about doing the same thing. In the winter months it was a pita trying to keep her in the wash tub for a bath.Dunno if you would need something to keep tons of hair from clogging up the drains,but i like the idea.

Former Gourmet Chef
    Post Thanks / Like

Just so you all know this is NOT a joke..

I live and run my business in Spain, allthough I am Swedish, and here at some selected gasstations, there actually exist automatic dogwashes, big enough to take german shepards.
    They are a cage like construction with glass sides.
    You put your pet in, close the door, put in 3€ (about 3$), then it Starts.
    It spurts out shampoo , all over the dog, with high pressure sprayers, all around the box, then it rinses, and finally dries with hot air..
    Id never ever, put my best friend in one of them, but you always see people using them..I dont think they hurt the animals, but they seem to give em a good fright, and you always know, which dog has been in before, as you can tell how little they wanna go in again..

Maybe that would be something for ya...LOL.

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

^ That`s awful.

So here is my set up.

We have a 1600sq. ft. warehouse, straight concrete floor that slopes to the side where there is a drain (just really a hole where dirt goes). It used to be a body shop, so drainage and chemicals are never an issue, only with Worker`s Compensation. I use biodegradable soap by choice for personal reasons concerning the environment.

The thought was just this: Set up a hose, some soap, a table for people to do the washing themselves. We aren`t busy enough that it would be a problem for space. And since it isn`t a drain to clog--I`ll clean up the drain by hand.

I`m not an expert, so I wouldn`t do it myself, but it is just a thought to take up space in the shop.
    Brenton Dickieson

Post Thanks / Like

If you got the space and time go for it and see if you can bring in some extra cash. You never know what will work until you give it a try.
    Danny J. Whitehead

Post Thanks / Like

You would have to invest in tables though but they have a pole so you hook the dog to it with a very short leash so there mouths dont bother you while your washing. If you give a dog treats they are your freind anyway that part shouldnt be a big deal. The only thing is if this is a seasonal gig then the people arent going to care for that to much.I must also add anything next to a laundry mat is a good thing,people would love to kill two birds with one stone.As long as you are competetive with prices you should do fine. just my oppinion

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just another thought... have you looked at what is covered under your current insurance policy? If you are going to have people in conditions where they could damage your shop/themselves/their pets, this is something to consider.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like

in my area there are several coin-op car washes that also have coin-op pet washes. it is a big tub with a ramp for the dog to walk up into. i subscribe to professional car care magazine nad this is in the email i got from them the other day about htis topic.

http://www.carwash.com/news.asp?mode=4&N_ID=59763

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s another article... I didn``t know there was such a thing... then again I don`t have a dog....

http://www.starbeacon.com/?MC=CURRENTS&NID=5&AID=7865
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Thread Information