Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pricing

Post Thanks / Like

pricing

There is another detail shop in my area that is exactley 1 street over from my location. he is offering quick washes cars 5.00 trucks 10.00. he seems to be getting a few customers to stop in for this service. I would normally offer this service but for a bit more money cars $10.00 trucks $15.00. Should I attempt to duplicate his pricing to steal a bit of his thunder and if so do you think people will expect this cheap pricing all the time ? Please give your opinion

Post Thanks / Like

Re: pricing

Quote Originally Posted by tooklean
    There is another detail shop in my area that is exactley 1 street over from my location. he is offering quick washes cars 5.00 trucks 10.00. he seems to be getting a few customers to stop in for this service. I would normally offer this service but for a bit more money cars $10.00 trucks $15.00. Should I attempt to duplicate his pricing to steal a bit of his thunder and if so do you think people will expect this cheap pricing all the time ? Please give your opinion
    Run a special for a month or something. Like $4.95 and $9.95.

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What exactly does your competitor do for a "quick wash?" Is it worth your time to wash these cars for $5? Is the quality of the other detailer`s work better, worse, or the same as yours?

Post Thanks / Like

Sell by price and die by price. This guy is pulling a cheap shot on your pricing. Let him go he will get to the end of his chain soon. Its the old you get what you pay for. If 10 & 15 are fair prices for your area then stay the course, and try to do a better job than the guy around the corner.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Re: pricing

Its just more or less a blast with the pressure washer a quick once over with a wash mitt and rinse. While he`s over there washing I`m sittin around praying for customers.

Post Thanks / Like

In terms of quality I feel that my finished product is better. Because I take my time. I`m just not gettin any work.

Post Thanks / Like

Its just more or less a blast with the pressure washer a quick once over with a wash mitt and rinse. While he`s over there washing I`m sittin around praying for customers.
    Was your business better before your competitor lowered his prices?

Post Thanks / Like

Pricing can be very dificult. most people depending on the area you work in want a fixed price. I myself have tried to negotiate a price by an hourly rate & most of the time i end up losing customer. ( even if its my weekend detail hobby) But i have found that a fixed price is what most people & especially frugal people want. it is tough washing cars for 5$ or even 10$. You must have some type of local supplier to break even. nline2lo

Post Thanks / Like

No not at all.

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

In terms of quality I feel that my finished product is better. Because I take my time. I`m just not gettin any work.
    I know how this feels. You could run a special on a sandwich board, but don`t actually drop your prices forever. When I`m busy, I can`t do a wash & dry for less that $11.99 & $14.99. When I`m slow and would like work, I`d do it for less.
    Brenton Dickieson

Post Thanks / Like

No not at all.
    If your busines wasn`t any better before your competitor lowered his prices then I don`t think that your pricing was the problem. Do you do any marketing? Do you maybe give your business cards out to people or advertise at all? Are you registered with any local business groups? Do you visit car shows to talk with car enthusiasts to push your services? There are lots of threads about marketing your business both here and on Autopia.org.

I`m also curious what area of the country your located in. Some areas (like the south and west) which are more feasible areas for having a detailing business. What are the demographics of your area like? Urban or suburban? Wealthy or poor population? Etc., etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy
    Sell by price and die by price. This guy is pulling a cheap shot on your pricing. Let him go he will get to the end of his chain soon. Its the old you get what you pay for. If 10 & 15 are fair prices for your area then stay the course, and try to do a better job than the guy around the corner.

Couldn`t have said it any better. I totally agree.

Winter Hold in Effect
    Post Thanks / Like

You also have to figure out what it costs you to go to work. Getting more customers at a rate that doesn`t pay the bills is not good business.

Like was said before: Live by a price, Die by a price.

You would be better off with some advertising to "counter" his quickie ways.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: pricing

I live in the east Pittsburgh PA SW pennsylvania It is very much a working class area.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in the east Pittsburgh PA SW pennsylvania It is very much a working class area.
    Well, IMO the Northeast is a tough place to be a detailer. The winter really tends to slow down business. I think there`s two things you have to consider here:

1. What price levels will the customers in your area support?
    2. Can you make a profit/feed your family at these prices?

I think your prices seem extremely reasonable. So, I doubt that`s the problem. In fact, I believe most tunnel washes in my area charge more than you. In the end I think you either have one of two problems:

1. Your marketing techniques are deficient and no one knows about your business or knows that they need your services.
    2. There is no one in your area who is interested in your services.

If the problem is the first it`s a simple fix. If the problem is the second then you either need to find a new business or a new location. Chances are there are car dealerships in your area so I really doubt the second problem is the case here. You likely won`t be able to sell a dealership a wash, but you should be able to sell them some polishing/waxing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information