Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R-e-s-p-e-c-t

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

R-e-s-p-e-c-t

Customer relations has been heavy on my mind recently because I am training my new partner. So I thought I would share a little of the advice I am giving him. For all of you detailers that are just starting your business, don`t make the same mistake I did. Don`t let people beat you up on price or show little or no respect for what you do.

There are a couple ways to combat this.

One way to avoid this is to not rely totally on your detailing income in the begininng and build up a base of customers that apreciate what you do. Relying on how much new detailing business you can obtain (if your not good at getting new business) will cause you to take on customers who will try to cheapen what you do because they don`t respect what you do.

The best way to combat this is to be pro-active with developing your customer base. Pursue the customer who understands what good detailing is and give them a reason to choose your company.

I`m hoping you pros that are running a successful business will chime in here with your thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: R-e-s-p-e-c-t

The best way to combat this is to be pro-active with developing your customer base. Pursue the customer who understands what good detailing is and give them a reason to choose your company.
    Troy, this will be my second year trying to build a quality customer base. Do you have any on pursuing customers?? I pass out flyer`s, hang door hanger, give out business cards, advertise on Craigslist.... is there any other marketing tips strategies that I can implore? I really want to go full time in detailing, but I am also pashently trying to go about it the right way.
    I do what I do, when I can do it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tmacsad View Post
    Troy, this will be my second year trying to build a quality customer base. Do you have any on pursuing customers?? I pass out flyer`s, hang door hanger, give out business cards, advertise on Craigslist.... is there any other marketing tips strategies that I can implore? I really want to go full time in detailing, but I am also patiently trying to go about it the right way.
    Building a good customer base requires targeting the right customer so these flyers and door hangers need to not only make it into the right hands but they need to send the right message. Are they seperating you from the average detailer? Are they answering the question that a good customer will ask themselves? That question is; Why should I choose this company?

Build a relationship with related businesses that have the same customers targeted. A quality body shop, mechanic, high-end car dealers, expensive Golf Courses etc... These are the places to have your marketing materials. I am far from a marketing expert but I know these are good places to start.

Anything but Boring.... Fishpimp's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing builds business better than word-of-mouth. The key to word of mouth is that your mouth does not formulate the words. Your customers words speak volumes louder than your own words. Flyer or no flyer, business card or no business card.

If someone speaks highly of you and your service, the person they are speaking to believes in there(the customers) words and not your own.

I have explained my processes til I was blue in the face and no business but my customers mention their car and my work and NO EXPLANATION REQUIRED...

Now once you get THE word of mouth then you are going to need to create new words in the mouths of new customers...

Advertising comes in second place to marketing.

I also give back to those who have given.

Post Thanks / Like

Very true. Nothing beats a satisfied customer who likes to spread the word.

Influential "talkers" are the absolute best people to target and make sure are happy. They are the ones who can really help grow your business.

Post Thanks / Like

Here I was thinking that this was about that song by Aretha Franklin Respect

Could not agree more with you Troy, if you conduct yourself in a professional manner you will get the respect from the prospect / customer...appearance goes a long with that as well...if they treat you badly charge them threw the nose upfront or walk
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I hear a lot of detailers talking about finding customers but I wonder if they really are. I just do my vehicles and maybe some relatives.

For example, I live in Raleigh, NC and there are plenty of well paid people driving very nice cars. You know it when see the kids driving the baby Mercedes or new Jeep Cherokee to school.

Yet, I have yet to see any professional detailer trying to sell services in the area. In fact, I have never seen one in recent memory.

I see people getting their car washed at the drive thru places (long lines on weekends) but I have only see one mobile detailer in the last year and this guy was definitely a budget washer at that.

I think there is a gold mine up here but I really think it starts with educating people about what real detailing is and what it can do for you.

The most popular direct marketing things around here are 1) people dropping off services cards on mailboxes or putting in a plastic bag with a rock or 2) direct mail cards/coupons (usually 25 to 30 different services per mailing).

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I hear a lot of detailers talking about finding customers but I wonder if they really are. I just do my vehicles and maybe some relatives.

For example, I live in Raleigh, NC and there are plenty of well paid people driving very nice cars. You know it when see the kids driving the baby Mercedes or new Jeep Cherokee to school.

Yet, I have yet to see any professional detailer trying to sell services in the area. In fact, I have never seen one in recent memory.

I see people getting their car washed at the drive thru places (long lines on weekends) but I have only see one mobile detailer in the last year and this guy was definitely a budget washer at that.

I think there is a gold mine up here but I really think it starts with educating people about what real detailing is and what it can do for you.

The most popular direct marketing things around here are 1) people dropping off services cards on mailboxes or putting in a plastic bag with a rock or 2) direct mail cards/coupons (usually 25 to 30 different services per mailing).
    Your comment about education is 150% true in most all cases...most people feel like they can get their cars cleaned at a local car wash for about $15 or so..Paying upwards of $100 plus for a wax job doesn`t compute with them..That`s where the education part comes in

I have worked for the last several years building up a customer base and find myself pretty busy year around now...as long as its not raining..its taken that long to find the people that want there cars in good shape and want to keep them that way.

I have also worked with a hand full that didn`t think the $200 I charged them was worth it...those didn`t come back and just as well IMO...I don`t need them

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

subscribed
    • JoYRiiDE
    //2007 BMW 335i e90 Sedan // Montego Blue // Black.Aluminum//

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post

Fact! A detailer cannot generate business BUT a salesman can. We need to be salesmen FIRST and Detailers second when TARGETING specific customers.

For instance if you are TARGETING high-end customers then you must become a high end speaker/salesman. You cannot be the neighbor hood wash guy Cold Talking a Bently driving realestate investment tycoon. You have to be just as knowledgeable about what YOU do as he is about what HE does.

When you target this kind of market you have to present yourself in away that you know what you are talking about..

Detailer Example: Hey Mr. Bently would you like your car detailed? No, ok well here is my card and a list of services. Or Mr. Bently finds your card on his window...Or Mr. Bently opens his mailbox and finds your flyer along with the rest of the junk mail.

Salesman Example: Goodmorning\Afternoon\Evening. Thats a very nice Bently you have there. What year is it? 200x...Oh really? Cool. Have you ever thought of having it Professionally detailed? NO? Ok.. Well Let me explain to you what it is that I do. My name is XXXX. shake hand at this point. I detail cars. Explain your process to the captured audience make it sound like something special. Tell the prospect what the difference is between a proper detail and a WACK JOB....

Sale, Sale, Sale, Sale....I`ve heard it once If heard it twice. I`m a better detailer but the guy down the street who is whack makes more cake...

You got to target, market, sale and THEN and only then do you deliver...

R-e-s-p-e-c-t

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with everyone here. Don`t sell yourself short. You have to differentiate yourself apart from a car wash detail. Showing people how you service is different sells the detail service. I always tell people I`m a one man team who is concerned about quality not quantity.Conducting yourself with pride and professionalism goes along way when dealing with people.

When I decided to get back into detailing part time I thought of the best way to get customers. While at my local Mercedes repair shop my technician who happens to be a neighbor commented on my car. My car always is washed up before it goes into the shop because it becomes a conversation piece between the tech/owner and his client. The clients always want to know who`s car it is and who details it. This gives him a chance to talk up my services. He is a very satisfied client of mind and a good friend so I know he always puts in a good word for me. I asked him if I could leave some business cards in his waiting lounge. Of course he said yes. But the point I`m making is word of mouth is definitely a big factor.

Also I leave cards at other places where I know I have a good rap. At my barber shop there are a large amount of guys that come in there with nice cars. I leave cards there and my barber shows people his cards.

When these guys help me get new clients I always hook them up with a good deal to keep them motivated to help sell my service. the only thing you have to remember to tell them is the price I give you for your car is strictly between us. Let me take care of the rates with the new clients.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishpimp View Post
    Salesman Example: Goodmorning\Afternoon\Evening. Thats a very nice Bently you have there. What year is it? 200x...Oh really? Cool. Have you ever thought of having it Professionally detailed? NO? Ok.. Well Let me explain
    to you what it is that I do. My name is XXXX. shake hand at this point. I detail cars. Explain your process to the captured audience make it sound like something special. Tell the prospect what the difference is between a proper detail and a WACK JOB....
    Engaging the prospect in conversation that is about their car is a good opening line...talk about the color, year, make a modification like rims and such...Then when you unveil what your real motivate is (a detail job) that best question is one that will not create a NO answer...mine is something like this and depending on who and where this all changes

Mr. Bentley my name is David I`m a part time auto detailer, with about 30 years of experience. When was the last time that you had your car cleaned or detailed?

If no..How do you get your car cleaned?

The NO ANSWER requires and probing answer in the form of a soft question...This is in order to get his mind set..the fact that he drives high end car mean squat about whether he likes to spend 100 plus bucks to have it cleaned / detailed.

You can then ask would you be interested in having your car detailed?

No:give him your card and your done

Yes: How often do you have that done?

When was the last time you had it done OR when will you be ready again?

You want to keep talking about HIS needs at this point...get the feel for his time frame what he thinks about getting it done, so that you can determine what level of prospect he might be...reason for this is he might only have it done once a year to once a month or at all

The biggest key that I teach in my sales training..

"seek to understand, before you seek to be understood"

Sales people by nature want to tell you all about their services or product before they understand what the prospect is looking for. I could go on about this, its one that is near and dear to me as I have made a living selling and teaching others about the process

Once you have him at the interest point, then tell him about your services...here is where you become the detailer...remember that less is more in this instance the more that you drill down on the process, product. etc the less you have at a chance of the sale IMO..he`s asking you what time it is, not how to build a watch...let him ask you questions and answer those but stay on the top...not the drill down answer that will put him to sleep or drive up his suspections about you...your trying to win his confidence here

Sale, Sale, Sale, Sale....I`ve heard it once If heard it twice. I`m a better detailer but the guy down the street who is whack makes more cake
    Never talk down about your competition you only cheapen yourself and services that you provide..

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    Never talk down about your competition you only cheapen yourself and services that you provide..
    This point is very true, however, there are lead-ins for what makes you different than the competition...

For instance you could say if you choose a competitor make sure they tape your edges. Or ask them if they are using a one step product or are they detailing in multiple stages.

Not to bad mouth anyone but make them feel like they have learned something new from talking to you.

Post Thanks / Like

I meant stages instead of states...

Post Thanks / Like

This point is very true, however, there are lead-ins for what makes you different than the competition...

For instance you could say if you choose a competitor make sure they tape your edges. Or ask them if they are using a one step product or are they detailing in multiple states.

Not to bad mouth anyone but make them feel like they have learned something new from talking to you.
    Most people that I talk to have little to no idea about what a full detail intails....you can only win a sale by building confiendence in the prospect about you...you can educate him on your process and talk about taping as an example and why...that`s the drill down explanation IMO...but I would steer clear of talking about the "if you use someone else" conversation...and what you should be asking them...The reason is why are you telling him the truth and not the other detailer?

Another thing in sales is

"if I tell you its the truth you can doubt it, its when YOU say its the truth it becomes that"

The back side of that is...if you have to talk him into the sell today you will have to every time you work with him again...if at all

By detailing his car and exceeding his expectation of a clean car he will never doubt you again...its what my reputation has been built on here!

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information