Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do I need to start a business

I think the most expensive piece of machine. It gotta be the extractor, I seen from 400.00 all the way to 2000.00 dollar I was consider getting me that small portable Aztec extractor(dont have exact model #). Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Without getting into the thousands of dollars it will take to start a business, let me make this one point. KEEP MONEY IN THE BANK FOR WORKING CAPITAL!!!! If you spend all your money on great supplies and then no customers call for a week, you`re screwed. Buy the barest of essentials that you need for the services you have booked as of right now. If a new customer needs a machine buff in the future, just schedule them for the next day, go buy a PC, do the job. Same goes for pressure washers and generators. I drove around with a pressure washer, 100gal water tank, generator, and extractor for three months before I ever had a job that required them, meanwhile I couldn`t pay for the gas to get to my regular hand wash clients! Don`t do that!

Post Thanks / Like

this is turning into a very usefull thread!

Post Thanks / Like

So realistically - a single person doing it full time - how much do you think you could clear in a year - say with a good 25K startup for a mobile detailing.
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by groebuck View Post
    So realistically - a single person doing it full time - how much do you think you could clear in a year - say with a good 25K startup for a mobile detailing.
    It all ends up being about a few things, one, how ambitious are you? That may determine how much you want to make...then word of mouth and location...so I am not sure there is a number that can be put on this...
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I am just looking for a ballpark here - A single person mobile detailing - working 5 days a week - I live in ohio so going to have off time for winters etc and probably drop off but I would love to do it. I have the capital to start a mobile detailing biz, the skill and knowledge to do the job right and fast enought to have a profitable turnaround time. I can do the business end of research and marketing and such - just want to know what a ballpark income is for a someone doing that...say with a good client base, 5 days a week - 2-3 cars a day - possibly some twice a month industrial park jobs with 10 wash/quick details in there...

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am just looking for a ballpark here - A single person mobile detailing - working 5 days a week - I live in ohio so going to have off time for winters etc and probably drop off but I would love to do it. I have the capital to start a mobile detailing biz, the skill and knowledge to do the job right and fast enought to have a profitable turnaround time. I can do the business end of research and marketing and such - just want to know what a ballpark income is for a someone doing that...say with a good client base, 5 days a week - 2-3 cars a day - possibly some twice a month industrial park jobs with 10 wash/quick details in there...
    first being mobile and starting new, you will not be working 5 days a week. Count in rain days and no booking days, and even a few " I`m too sore or tired" days. You will be lucky to average 2-3 days a week to start. After a while and with some contacts and referrals you can get easily booked everyday if you really wanted to. If you get regular customers, you will need to plan these days for the industrial parks. With some luck, you can make $45K by yourself (before expenses), but I doubt that will be possible for the first year or two
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Anything but Boring.... Fishpimp's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    first being mobile and starting new, you will not be working 5 days a week. Count in rain days and no booking days, and even a few " I`m too sore or tired" days. You will be lucky to average 2-3 days a week to start. After a while and with some contacts and referrals you can get easily booked everyday if you really wanted to. If you get regular customers, you will need to plan these days for the industrial parks. With some luck, you can make $45K by yourself (before expenses), but I doubt that will be possible for the first year or two
    To piggy back on steve you also have to account for cancellations and no show.

How long does it take you to do a full detail on an average size car?

On 2-3 cars a day what will be the average price for each?

On a 5 day work schedule what 2 days will you be unavailable? Especially in a 4 season climate area.

How much do you make now at your current job?

What type of vehicle will you be using if mobile?

How will you market and advertise your business the first year?

Etc....

Post Thanks / Like

well I am pretty good at detailing - I have all the tools needed and depending on the condition of the car - 1-2 hours can turn out a "wowser" to the average consumer. The reason I got curious is I work in an industrial park now, I had the local guy do my trailblazer (the vehicle I would be using) for a "detail" in/out and hand wax - 100 bucks - xxxxty job - residue in my gaps, tire shine on the wheels, smeared windows...and the people here were like "really? we think he is awesome" And he took about an 1 hour and I think he cranked out 7-8 cars that day - 800 bucks for xxxxty work lol.

Anything but Boring.... Fishpimp's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

well I am pretty good at detailing - I have all the tools needed and depending on the condition of the car - 1-2 hours can turn out a "wowser" to the average consumer. The reason I got curious is I work in an industrial park now, I had the local guy do my trailblazer (the vehicle I would be using) for a "detail" in/out and hand wax - 100 bucks - xxxxty job - residue in my gaps, tire shine on the wheels, smeared windows...and the people here were like "really? we think he is awesome" And he took about an 1 hour and I think he cranked out 7-8 cars that day - 800 bucks for xxxxty work lol.
    Getting your car detailed by the competition was the right thing to do.

Now you have some good information to improve upon. My question is how are you going to educate the consumer? Meaning if they think he is awesome how are you going to show them they are missing out on something special?

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishpimp View Post
    Getting your car detailed by the competition was the right thing to do.

Now you have some good information to improve upon. My question is how are you going to educate the consumer? Meaning if they think he is awesome how are you going to show them they are missing out on something special?
    this goes back to Troy`s thread about running a business... obviously he know how to run a business without knowing how to do good work.
    Eventually people will get tired of poor quality and not recommend him anymore, but that may be quite a while if he has limited or no competition. It`s hard to educate the public, but holding free classes and demonstrations would be a good place to start.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, 1 year later!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information