Thread: Detail time?

Post Thanks / Like

Detail time?

I`m kinda knew to the business. My services include hand washing, vaccuming, interior cleaning and dressing, exterior cleaning and dressing, tire cleaning and paint waxing with a buffer. How does it usually take u guys to detail a car? i use my mobile trailer. i`m just wondering if i`m going to slow. Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detail time?

it depends on how specific you are getting. the process you described could take anywhere from 45 mins. to 6 hours depending on your what you are aiming for. there is no real right or wrong time frame, it just depends on what you are trying to achieve. a quick wipe down won`t take long on the insdie but a full interior detail can take several hours depending on the condition. if you give a little more description on what market you are targeting we could get a little closer on a time frame.

Post Thanks / Like

i usually do interior first.
    vaccum all carpet,
    clean vinyl, dash, door panels,etc ,
    dress all plastic and vinyl,
    apply conditioner to leather seats if needed.
    Clean all interior glass, mirrors,etc.

exterior
    clean tires, rims, fend wells
    hand wash all paint, trim
    hand dry
    clean exterior glass, mirrors, etc
    apply wax by hand
    buff clean
    dress all exterior trim
    dress tires
    apply dress to fender wells
    re-clean rims for overspray

hope this will help and helping me out. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

your list looks like it should run around 2-3 hrs. on an average car, a real dirty car, count on adding another hour or so. myself i like to do exteriors first.that way any extra liitle bits of water dry before waxing or buffing.

Post Thanks / Like

im not saying anyones methods are right or wrong but my methods and time frames are as fallows:

1- interior , vac, apc, extractor, dress, windows
    2- motor clean and dress (be carefull)
    3- wheels, tires, wells ,front bumber
    4- wash entire vehicle
    5- dry with chamois- includin jambs
    6- polish/wax/buff all painted areas (your call)
    7- dress exterior trim,tires,wells.
    8- exterior windows
    9- car overview (perfect time to appreciate)
    10- cha-ching! time to get paid

like i said all may not agree but on an average ware an tear car this is 3½ to 4½ hrs work of non stop work. this meand all bugs and tar spots gone . most scratches removed all small spaces brushed or vaccumed all carpets shampood or hand cleaned all leather conditioned and most of all if you step back and look at your work and notice something thats so/so fix it. this way you know its done the way you would do your car and everyone knows people favor thier own sh*t. like i said thats my work pace and quality . ive never had complaints but some people on this board are super serious pros with more then 6 yrs in the biz. this is just my input and time frames.

I don't detail mini-vans ShineProDetails's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was moblie and did the detail by myself it took me 4 hrs. min.
    .:Shine Pro Details:.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys! i`m glad i`m about on the same time frame.

Former Gourmet Chef
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Yes always try to do exterior first, as when youve done interior, and then powerwash the doorjamms, things might go flying back in.
    Anyway heres a full progarm we use.

1.Hand wash clean wheels and wheel holes and dry car
    2.Pollish with flex machine, cutting pads and using mild medium or coarse compound depending on vehicle state.
    if coarse is used, vehicle is then cleaned and redone again w medium.
    3.pollish whole car again, now with doubble headed orbital, and medium to light swirlmark remover, get rid of any swirlmarks, first step left behind
    4.wah car again, using also degreasers to help get any residue from cracks nooks and corners completely away.. ( I hate white compound residue on a detailed car) in this step we now also clean engine, and door jambs, and wheels again if needed. car is the again dried and checked for any faults.

5.Interior detailing, Steps may vary depending on vehicle, but general idea is, vacum good first, then start detailing from top to bottom, as in starting w roof, and going d-wards,
    Lets assume its a dirty car , and that all seats also have to be done, this can make the time vary a lot. dirty leather can take a long time, and so can dirty fabric seats, to get them really good again. If its a smokers car and the roof is bad, calculate at least 1 hour on just the roof.
    A good extractor helps a lot in getting the fabric seats back to life, and in cleaning out soil from fixed carpets, allthough it is the hand scrubbing before that takes most of the time.

6. Now the luggage compartment gets done, all the way down under spare tire, which is also taken out and cleaned

7. engine bay is now after dried, checked and dressed, also the tires and above are dressed and wheels checked for lingering dirt. which may have been missed.

8. Now we add by machine either a paint sealant or a wax to the exterior, and door jambs get a hand glace wax as well as chrome details, and handles. leather seats and details also get a leather guard protection applied.
    And the fabric receives a fabric protectant.

10. windows are now polished and a final vacuum of car is done again, and the last check of all exerior and interior to make sure nothing is forgotten or missed.

This whole process can take anything from 6-12 hours, depending on the vehicle.
    But i would say the average is 8-9hours.

heres a link to some of the cars we have done.

http://rsrtuning.com/mrcaptrabajos.html

Thread Information