Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone use local?

When I first set up shop, I ordered higher end products online or through a local auto parts store, and got most commercial cleaners through the largest distributer. When I was detailing in another province, we used a number of local products--good quality, relatively cheap. Great prices on clay, QD by the gallon, cut polish and glaze. I wouldn`t use their waxes, but cleaners and preps were good.

As it turns out, my cousin has a chemical company here where I live now, and has a detailing line. No LSP`s or polishes, but deos, cleaners, degreasers, acids, etc. He also has a replacement for wheel acid with a better PH balance, low gloss interior shine, cheap ammonia free window cleaner, and cheaper wheel shine.

I`m a little hesitant to jump right in, but unlike the larger distributer, he gave me all kinds of samples to try. His deo is superb, and 1 litre does the same as 1 gallon of the competition. His glass cleaner is fine, but I`m not sure if it can compete with Stoner`s, but at 60% the price. Haven`t tried anything else.

Does anyone here go local?

I`m curious because I mentioned that I need to order a silicone-free tire shine from someone, and he said he`ll work on some formulas. He`s willing to reconfigure products if I know the problems. It could be good--or I could be stuck using crappy family products.
    Brenton Dickieson

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does anyone use local?

So, your cousin owns the company?
    You mention that you may "be stuck using crappy family products." Are you that unsure of your cousin`s integrity/work ethic that you feel that he would give you inferior products once you are "locked in?" If you feel you can trust your cousin as much as the guys you are dealing with currently, why not "keep the money in the family?" It sounds like he`s willing to make his stuff as good as he can for your particular needs.
    Are you required to order "all or nothing" in order to do business with him? Why not use the ones you like, tell him what you don`t like about the others, and see what he comes up with as a result?
    And finally, have I heard of them? :biggrin:
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a real good local supplier here that I use all the time for different things....Before this site its the only place that I brought product.

I`m not a full time guy with a shop so if I was I would be looking at cost of product, like you are... for me 6 cars or less a month I don`t have those conerns.
    I say use the samples and find what you like about them keep those and contuine to use the online stuff you like better.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

i use a local supplier because of the amount of product we go through, it would cost a small fortune for high end products. if you like some of his products but not all, get what you like from him. because he is family you shouldn`t be obligated to buy everything from him.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, my cousin owns the company: Gulf-star chemicals in Prince Edward Island.

He gave me a great sample pack for only $10 (family price methinks). It had 539 gram foaming aeresol glass cleaner (non-ammonia), 16oz tire shine w. sprayer, 32oz interior dressing, 32oz degreaser (1:5-1:10), 32oz of 1:50 wild cherry biodegrading/biodegradable deoderant, 32oz floor polish for rubber mats and the like, and 16oz slick-sud car wash soap (1oz/gallon).

He knows how to get a guy hooked!

The tire shine and deo are great, and cheaper than what I`m paying. He actually took some MSDS sheets of solvents I`m using but only 90% satisfied to see if he can reconfigure them. Might work out, we`ll see.

Here where I live, family and community are key. I call my high end products "imports", but if people know I`m turning back local products just because of a few dollars, it goes badly--kind of like that whole "buy USA" kick that pops up every few years.

I think it will be okay, and will save me shipping on weighty products like cleaners and solvents.
    Brenton Dickieson

I don't detail mini-vans ShineProDetails's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a local distributor for my degreasers, carpet cleaners, glass cleaner, air freshers, brushes, etc, etc. I have my four reasons

1.They are cheaper
    2. I don`t pay for shipping
    3. They work just as well
    4. I don`t have to wait on them.

Less money spent on chemical and supplies is more money for me to blow. All of my waxes, polishes, sealents, clays, pads, machines I get from internet retailers from this site. Anywho my local distributor is the best. He will change any of his products if I talk with him about it. I was using his high gloss tire shine and I noticed that it was runny and smelled aweful. The next month he changed the color to orange and it smelled like watemellons. Sometimes it pays to keep your money local......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    .:Shine Pro Details:.

Post Thanks / Like

ShinePRoDetails, I was going through Griffin Friday morning on my way to Tybee Island and saw a Helmet Detailing Products truck in front of me and was wondering if they just made a delivery to you. I guess that answers my question.

I don't detail mini-vans ShineProDetails's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gatightlines
    ShinePRoDetails, I was going through Griffin Friday morning on my way to Tybee Island and saw a Helmet Detailing Products truck in front of me and was wondering if they just made a delivery to you. I guess that answers my question.

Gatightlines, I usually pick up most of my supplies from his warehouse. Helmet Products is based in Griffin also and he`s a super cool guy....
    .:Shine Pro Details:.

Post Thanks / Like

So the Tire Shine stuff from Gulf Star has a nice, muted glow--we`ll see about durability. I really like their Magic Mix degreaser for wheels and interior, and have converted. Great soap, but haven`t decided yet--depends on price I guess, but I`m getting the same results as the Meg`s Crystal Wash. I really like their deo, but the durability isn`t fantastic. The glass stuff is fine, but I`ll still use Stoner`s on high end jobs and tint. Their interior dressing is nice, and smells like watermelon, so I may switch to that.

This could be a good move for me.
    Brenton Dickieson

Post Thanks / Like

What are DEO`s?

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

Mod Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edschwab1
    What are DEO`s?

Eric

I`ll vote that "deo`s" might mean deodorizers. Anyone second that vote.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrub
    I`ll vote that "deo`s" might mean deodorizers. Anyone second that vote.
    Deodorizer are probably it. Thanks.
    Have you AIO`d today?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edschwab1
    What are DEO`s?

Eric

Sorry, I get lost in the short cuts here. Deos are deoderizers. :chair:
    Brenton Dickieson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Detail
    Sorry, I get lost in the short cuts here. Deos are deoderizers. :chair:
    Thanks.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?

I love silicone !! Hawaiianelement's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey thats great to have an inside scoop on product developement . Maybe he should be paying you to test his line..?? lol . Wouldn`t that be great !

I`ve heard you mention that the winters are hard on business so you might have to go with tthe best deals.

Stick with your cousin and tell him that you post pictures of cars on this forum and mention his products. Maybe you can get a better deal. Just guessing.
    04 Honda Element-Mobile Detailing
    02 BMW 325Ci Tit. Slvr. Sprt,Prem.
    05 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Red Magma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information