Post Thanks / Like

How many details per day

I will keep my post simple. When working in a auto dealership detailing/reconditioning/doll-up department how many details or vehicle does a person need to complete per day?

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

Wherever there is a mullet... I'll be there.
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How many details per day

It depends on the size of the shop. It also depends on what you mean by how many someone needs to complete. If you are being paid hourly then who really cares? If you are making a percentage of the cars you do then you might want to bust through them faster. I think how many cars somebody needs to complete is entirely relative to what sort of shop it is and how they are being paid. At least that is how it works down here in Florida. You yankees have strange methods. lol

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I worked for a used dealer--a beater lot, $5000 and under--and we had two departments: 1) interior/exterior wash, 2) exterior paint and maintenance.
    1) I had to wash every front line car every day it didn`t rain. There were only 20, so it only took 2 hours. The back line was $1000 or less, and got washed weekly. I was expected to do 2-3 interiors a day, plus dust every car every few days, and check the fluids a couple times a week.
    2) When I got bumped to exterior paint, there was two of us working, and we did 3 cars per day, plus things like fluid changes, additives, drop off/pick up, etc.
    Brenton Dickieson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Fuzz
    At least that is how it works down here in Florida. You yankees have strange methods. lol

I find it funny when someone in Florida calls us Yankees. Didn`t you know that Florida is just a section of Long Island that broke off and floated down? We do appreciate you guys offering us a place to send our old people. :biggrin:
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P
    I find it funny when someone in Florida calls us Yankees. Didn`t you know that Florida is just a section of Long Island that broke off and floated down? We do appreciate you guys offering us a place to send our old people. :biggrin:
    Hahaha

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve never detailed at a dealership, but from what I`ve seen its a base hourly rate where they say, for example, you make $12 hour and a civic should take 3 hours to totally prep. If you are fast or its in pretty good shape and you knock it out in 2 hours, you still take in $36. But if it takes 4hrs, you should be looking for a new job cause you still only made $36 :ermm:

Post Thanks / Like

i work at a dealer for an hourly rate. what you produce epends on too many sscenarios to say what is a correct amount. is the the car extremely dirty? fairly clean? is it a new car delivery? used car recon? there is no right or wrong answer as long as your boss is happy with you and your work.

Post Thanks / Like

At our shop 1 man must do 2 complete details a day pluss a couple of washes and maybe a wash n wax

I love silicone !! Hawaiianelement's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry A
    At our shop 1 man must do 2 complete details a day pluss a couple of washes and maybe a wash n wax
    Boy after all that training you can start your own mobile service..And try and snag some of the cool customers..he he
    04 Honda Element-Mobile Detailing
    02 BMW 325Ci Tit. Slvr. Sprt,Prem.
    05 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Red Magma

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry A
    What about a woman? :boxing:
    Brenton Dickieson

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I work at a dealership and get paid hourly. I ususally put out 2 a day, working from 8:30 AM til 6:30 PM. I do total details, from glass to engine. Some days I slack and get one out. Some days none.... But I do a good job. I have a 2 bay shop that I do it in, and am the only person there. Just turn on the radio and go at it. I also do tons of extras. Oil changes, tire plugs, window motors, brakes, fuel pumps, tune ups, and on and on. I guess I shouln`t have told the boss I could do all that stuff, now I do more with the same pay. :censored: I now have a lift in my shop too..........

But eventually, I would like to go my own way and do mobile.......

I love silicone !! Hawaiianelement's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB
    I work at a dealership and get paid hourly. I ususally put out 2 a day, working from 8:30 AM til 6:30 PM. I do total details, from glass to engine. Some days I slack and get one out. Some days none.... But I do a good job. I have a 2 bay shop that I do it in, and am the only person there. Just turn on the radio and go at it. I also do tons of extras. Oil changes, tire plugs, window motors, brakes, fuel pumps, tune ups, and on and on. I guess I shouln`t have told the boss I could do all that stuff, now I do more with the same pay. :censored: I now have a lift in my shop too..........

But eventually, I would like to go my own way and do mobile.......
    i heard of a guy out in Cali that does detailing, oil changes and pool cleaning all in one stop..

You should really think about going mobile and working for your self. Believe me its not that hard to own your own business. Why not start on your weekends and make some side cash at least to get the feel of the market out by you .. :goodluck:
    04 Honda Element-Mobile Detailing
    02 BMW 325Ci Tit. Slvr. Sprt,Prem.
    05 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Red Magma

Thread Information