Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

What PSI is best for washing?

I`m currently using a cheap, consumer 1600 PSI Simoniz washer (don`t know the American brand name). It is a stop gap solution. As it is, I hardly ever get 1600 PSI, so I`m not sure what it can do in most situations.

So as I look down the road to a commercial grade washer for wheels, washing, and occassionaly engines and truck boxes, what is the best PSI to get? 1600 will peel damaged paint if too concentrated, but other times feels too weak for wheel wells and deep areas.

What do you use/think?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What PSI is best for washing?

I`m sure others will say that the 1600 won`t be enough, I`ve used a 2300 PSI to wash the trucks at work, you just don`t get too close or have a fine stream.

Will you be looking for an electric or a gas model?

"J"

I don't detail mini-vans ShineProDetails's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 2000 psi with a turbo tip ($60 USD) for engines, fender wells, buged windshields, etc. As far as washing goes I use a water hose....
    .:Shine Pro Details:.

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs95
    I`m sure others will say that the 1600 won`t be enough, I`ve used a 2300 PSI to wash the trucks at work, you just don`t get too close or have a fine stream.

Will you be looking for an electric or a gas model?

"J"
    I never use a fine stream, dangerous.
    I would prefer a gas model for power and versatility. But I`ve got electricity included in rent, and with gas at $5-$6/gallon here....
    I`ll decide when I see what more people are using.

Do it right or not at all ShineShop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Detail
    I`m currently using a cheap, consumer 1600 PSI Simoniz washer (don`t know the American brand name). It is a stop gap solution. As it is, I hardly ever get 1600 PSI, so I`m not sure what it can do in most situations.

So as I look down the road to a commercial grade washer for wheels, washing, and occassionaly engines and truck boxes, what is the best PSI to get? 1600 will peel damaged paint if too concentrated, but other times feels too weak for wheel wells and deep areas.

What do you use/think?
    You need to actually understand that psi is not the measure of the actual power of the machine. Most consumer grade pressure washers will have a higher psi rating but the actual cleaning units are pretty low. For example, the pressure washer we use now is rated for 2000 psi, at 5 gallons per minute water flow. The amount of water actualy flowing through the nozzle determines your actual cleaning power. Most consumer machines will have a high psi rating but will pump only a gallon or 2 per minute of water flow. Look at it this way, 2000 psi of water at 2 gallons per minute is almost like strong mist but 2000 psi at 5 gallons per minute will cut your hand if you held it in front of the tip. We actually dial ours down to 1500 psi because 2000 psi is more power than we require and could possibly strip paint if your aren`t careful. Also, we never use anything more than a 40 degree fan tip, anything more agressive is overkill. I hope that helps.
    Scotty`s Shine Shop
    www.shineshop.ca

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShineShop
    You need to actually understand that psi is not the measure of the actual power of the machine. Most consumer grade pressure washers will have a higher psi rating but the actual cleaning units are pretty low. For example, the pressure washer we use now is rated for 2000 psi, at 5 gallons per minute water flow. The amount of water actualy flowing through the nozzle determines your actual cleaning power. Most consumer machines will have a high psi rating but will pump only a gallon or 2 per minute of water flow. Look at it this way, 2000 psi of water at 2 gallons per minute is almost like strong mist but 2000 psi at 5 gallons per minute will cut your hand if you held it in front of the tip. We actually dial ours down to 1500 psi because 2000 psi is more power than we require and could possibly strip paint if your aren`t careful. Also, we never use anything more than a 40 degree fan tip, anything more agressive is overkill. I hope that helps.
    Well said shineshop

Thread Information