Post Thanks / Like

Question Detail life span on 5 yr old detailed car?

I was wondering on the cars that we as detailers do that are more than 5 yrs old and the paint is the standard cared for ie: auto car washes and maybe waxed once a year. If the paint is oxidized and faded and we bring it back to life is it easy for that paint to return to the state it was in prior to the detail? I am wondering for someone didn`t want my services because , Man- "the last time they polished it out and waxed it, it faded and went back to the way it was in a week." My response in my head was ok, they probably didn`t wax ! I was thinking that If I take a yr 2000 car with clear coat, and clay, 2 step polish and throw 2-3 coats of Zaino on it it should stay pretty shiney and new looking based on the results that I get. I would also probably reapply coats every couple of months and QD after each wash if it was my car. Any thoughts or comments, never thought about it, and I may want to get a yr. 2000 car and wondered what was in store for me.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detail life span on 5 yr old detailed car?

For your personal car I wouldn`t worry about it, you`ll be taking way better care of it than oxidation can catch up to. As for customer cars, you`ll want to be upfront about the fact that the paint may revert back to the way it was, albeit with fewer swirls, in a month or two. That`s just the natural degradation of paint and there`s little you can do to stop it for a customer unless you have a paint booth. Honda reds are notorious for this, my `95 Taurus was washed maybe twice when it was my dad`s car, no wax, and I brought it back with two days leisurely work with a PC and some 2.5. All paints are different and you never know what kind you`re going to get.
    Rides
    `95 Ford Taurus- White, freshly detailed, holds lots, smokes coolant like a chimney.
    `89 Honda CRX Si- Primer black, fast.

Thread Information