Post Thanks / Like

Top ten must haves for mobile detailing startup?

Hi everybody,
    Whats on your list of must have or can do with outs in equipment and/or supplies. Any suggestions or tips would help, I would like to keep startup cost down by not getting things i don`t need now, or can get later. I`m having a hard time deciding how to outfit my trailer. Thanks y`all.
    something like this would be cool.

1. power washer(A) because .........
    etc.....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Top ten must haves for mobile detailing startup?

1. power washer
    2. BUSINESS TRAINING
    3. BUSINESS TRAINING
    4. BUSINESS TRAINING
    5. BUSINESS TRAINING
    6. BUSINESS TRAINING
    7. BUSINESS TRAINING
    8. BUSINESS TRAINING
    9. BUSINESS TRAINING
    10. A bucket

Don`t waste allot of time with the equipment, longest lasting wax, etc....

Learn how to run a business, motivate people, marketing, customer service, etc...........
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like

I`d say Superior Shine knows what he is talking about. His work is incredible, and it seems he alwas works on nice cars.

I`m not a mobile detailer, but I will give you my opinion. I would definitely say a Pickup truck, if you want to be serious into it. I loaded up all my stuff including my huge lights that I use for polishing into my Impala SS (like the one in your avatar) and it barely had room (and I didnt even pack my shop vac). I have a tool box type thing that I keep all my stuff in. I`ve gone and helped my buddy who is a mobile detailer, and even his explorer had difficulty fitting all the stuff we brought. Just my .02
    ~werd to yo mutha~
    Wade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Superior Shine
    1. power washer
    2. BUSINESS TRAINING
    3. BUSINESS TRAINING
    4. BUSINESS TRAINING
    5. BUSINESS TRAINING
    6. BUSINESS TRAINING
    7. BUSINESS TRAINING
    8. BUSINESS TRAINING
    9. BUSINESS TRAINING
    10. A bucket

Don`t waste allot of time with the equipment, longest lasting wax, etc....

Learn how to run a business, motivate people, marketing, customer service, etc...........

I`ll ad to this list

11. Insurance (unless your wealthy)

and don`t forget MSDS sheets for all your chemicals. Especially do to the fact your in New Jersey.
    Good things are not cheap, and cheap things are seldom good !

Post Thanks / Like

On call psych. person you`ll need it

Post Thanks / Like

Well ... now that it seems everyone has givin you the obvious answers. I think all of the above include the steps to running just about any successful business.

On another note I beleive that if you need to ask this type of question you have a long way to go before one could call themselves a "Professional Detailer". If you hang around here (Detail City) You will learn very quickly what a `Hack Job` is and what a true professional detail is! I would say a good majority of this forum is made up of guys like myself enjoy detailing as a hobby. 90% of the time we detail our own vehicals with the occasional detail for a friend or a friend of a friend results the same as if not better than 90% of the professionals out there.

Chemicals aside because its not about the chemicals its all about the processes you use.

Polisher(s) Porter cable Dual Action Polisher, Cyclo , or a Rotary. You can use 1 or a combination of the 3

Shop Vac/ Extractor

Buckets

Towels

Brushes

Power washer

Patience

The Love of ALL cars

I think that Just about covers the necessary "Tools" as far as Chemicals well that we could spend months debating and trying different combitations of products!

Id suggest you start at square one ... reading The stickyed threads in the General Detailing forum! That should just about get you started.
    There is only one boss.THE CUSTOMER! And he can fire everybody in the company from the chairman on down,simply by spending his money somewhere else!

Post Thanks / Like

Till this day, I haven`t received a bit of business training but what I do have is the drive and dertermintion to make my business grow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Focusedonsound
    On another note I beleive that if you need to ask this type of question you have a long way to go before one could call themselves a "Professional Detailer". If you hang around here (Detail City) You will learn very quickly what a `Hack Job` is and what a true professional detail is!
    Thanks,
    Maybe I should make my intentions a little clearer. My question was not because i don`t know what is needed, but more as a comparison to what everyone is using and consider their personal "must have" tools. My indecision is more on an equipment brand thing than what equipment. Keeping my startup cost down means - (example) not buying some super expensive generator or powerwasher when I could get something similar if not better for less. Sorry for the confusion, my bad. This is why i like the forum.

Post Thanks / Like

- business license in your county/state
    - insurance
    - the ability to run a business
    - the ability to market yourself effectively

The rest you can buy at the store....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Chimp
    - business license in your county/state
    - insurance
    - the ability to run a business
    - the ability to market yourself effectively

The rest you can buy at the store....
    Thanks everybody, I get the Point.

I do agree. Business, Business, Business is the Main focus.
    I`ve been working on that (all aspects), setting things up, i thought I`d get some info on the other side.

Peace and Happy Posting :cool

Post Thanks / Like

Lot of things depend on what you plan to offer, personal preference, how much you have and how much time you are willing to spend.

this is just my opinion (duh) based on my 15 years in the mobile business.

Pressure washer - Optional, I use a 12v shurflo pump and air hose for water instead. I may add a pressure washer again but for 8 years or so I haven`t used one. I used one at first but some things I did not like about it.

Buffers - I just got a PC this year so for rest of my time I didn`t use one. I think a PC is something very useful to have though and is a great bang for the buck.

Generator - In my book this is a must have. I do know people that use an invertor and a smaller vacuum. I like a larger vacuum so generator works for me.

Carpet Extractor - Unless you had dough to blow, I wouldn`t worry about getting one. Great results can be obtained without one. I`ve used a large carpet extractor many years ago and some smaller ones. I don`t use one know and am not hard pressed to get one as I don`t shampoo much and don`t have the time to do more. My large one broke long ago and my small one I returned as it didn`t work out for me.

Vaccum - I`ve used shop vacs, I like the blue ones from Lowes I think commercial line. Current one has lastest longer than any others I have. Mines 16 gallons but I plan to get a smaller one as feel it`s bulky.

Steamer, Blower, Air Compressor, Fogger - If you have the space and money great. I sometimes carry a small steamer as it comes in handy on the interior crevices. Rest I no longer use but have considered a small air tank that I`d fill and use to blow a few spots on the interior.

Trailer - I have never used one and have no plans to do so. You mention one so it`s already something you have.

Filter - I think a nice filtration of DI or RO would be great, but not sure it`ll ever work out for me. I`m currently trying a small filter which is not doing what I wanted. I`m not convinced yet on the filter idea. Skipping the drying would be great but in cool months or the shade I feel I`d still need to dry it as no way I`ll leave a vehicle wet as I need a final inspection. Spotting isn`t a huge issue. Largest vehicle I do is a black H2 and even on hot sunny days I do just fine. I`m still toying with this though so could change.

Tent Canopy - Before I`d use this I`d get a filter. I`ve never used one but seems like an accident waiting to happen. If you want one for personal comfort then go for it.

In general I believe in keeping things simple, easy and cost effective. If I feel the benefit is worth more money I will spend the money. I use quite a few PB products and even though I can get other stuff cheaper I feel they are worth the extra money. Some stuff like car wash soap, all purpose, glass and tire dressing I just use 5 gallon containers from local distributor (automagic). That is an area I will spend more on. An area I will not is Microfiber. I use the 16 x 16 at sams club and the large 40 x whatever from Walmart. Cheap and work perfect for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no brother, those tires are too shiney!! Otherwise nice work.

Here is how I like them, just a hair shiner than satin.

The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like

The way I run my business is to please the client, not what I like or dislike. I find that customers here love their cars to bling, bling. Personally, I don`t like the dull look as you can tell on my wifes car but if the client likes the tires dull, I`ll do it.

Help, I wanna be a proton
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been in businews for fifteen years, and like to think that I do okay at it. Just some observations of mine.

1. Get a pressure washer. If you get a hot water washer it will open other options of revenue production to you. Some of them are FAR more profitable than being solely a detailer. If you get a fleet of cars to wash every week, you will have a good residual income, and a larger pressure washer will go a long way to making it more tolerable to you. this should cost you around $1200. If you go hot it will cost you around $5000, if you shop.
    2. Get a Good generator. I have a little Honda 2000eu that I use for detailing, and a larger 5000 watt unit. 9 times out of 10, the little Honda gets the call because it is so quiet it makes it a pleasure to work. all the others are okay, but the quiet generator will make your customer happy. I can get them for under $900 local to me.
    3. Get at least two different types of polishers. I have a PC 7424 and a Sioux Rotary. There are some thign sthat the PC just cannot accomplish efficiently, so the rotary will get the call. The PC should be around $110 and the rotary, depending on brand is around $150. My sioux was close to $250 15 years ago, but it still is going strong.
    4. You want a small but powerful vacuum. I like the Ridgid protable. 5 hp and 2 gallons. It works excellent, but I had to put a higher quality hose on it. The Vacuum is around $70
    5. Unless you are doing high volume, a bissell little green machine works great. If there is a stain that you cannot get out with it, get a scrub brush. It will come out. The bissell is around $80
    6. Have one or two extension cords, for obvious reasons. Figure around $40 for both extension cords.
    7. A good step ladder. Not a painters ladder, but a step ladder with largfe stand on type steps. The link is to the ladder that I use. It is expensive, but I have had mine for about 6 years now, and it is still in perfect condition. I would rather spend $180 once then $40 fifteen times. http://www.littlegiantladder.com/lgl..._id=STEP_BAR_4 They are $172 from Little Giant.
    8. A DI or RO water treament system. Even if you are just washing one car, it will make your job so much easier and faster if you demineralize the water. It is also easier onteh wax that might be on the car, and there is, in my opinion, less chance of damaging the paint job. I rent mine for $70 a set.
    9. Two copies of MSDS sheets. One for your truck or trailer and one for your office. If you have a trailer, then get three copies of the MSDS.
    10. An open mind. Try to learn as much as you can about what you are doing and not just about how to detail. Look for oddball stuff that you can do with your equipment to increase revenues.

The total cost for all of this stuff is under $7000 with a hot water washer.

These of course are just my personal opinions. There is no magic bullet for everyone that will make everyone successful. Although it is good to have the best chemicals and MF towels and gee whiz products out there, they are not necessarily the things that will make you money. Watch your peenies and make every expenditure justify itself. If you cannot see a solid return on your investment, no matter what it is, it is not worht buying. There are a lot of things that I buy for my own truck that never sees the light of day on my customers cars, because teh return on the investment just does not make it feasible.

Post Thanks / Like

On the subject of the shiny tires, it`s interesting how things vary from place to place. I used to make em super shiny but customers hated it. On occasion someone will tell me they want em shiny and I`ll do it. Especially my elderly customers they`d look at the high gloss tire and shake their heads "Chris I`m 55 not 15".

Thread Information