Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

orange peel on new F 250

How can the horrible orange peel on the new f 250 fords be removed ... the truck i went to go do an estimate on looks shiney and swirl free.. its a BLACK extended cab 4x4 .. but it has horrendous orange peel .. anyone seen this and is there an easy solution to this . im not going to colorsand a brand new black factory paint job .. im willing to use my rotary with compound if it will fix it .. need some help here.
    back in buisness baby

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: orange peel on new F 250

that comes standard on fords these days.. I think wetsanding is the only way to minimize it. IMHO.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

im thinking of different things to try . heavy duty clay to level it followed by compound to remove the scuffs left by the clay.i bought a new heavy duty clay majic bar this spring to do a black mercedes with .i didnt realize that heavy duty clay was so abrasive and scuffed up the paint and i had to break out the rotary to clean up the mess .. i almost had a coronary when i saw what that clay did to the paint .. anyone think this might be a way to level the orange peel ?
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Ford Family unless you want to start wet sanding your going to most likely have to live w/ it. I have personally wet sanded some specfic areas that were worse than anything however I didn`t take anything heavier than 3000 grit wet sanding paper. I used the Meguiars Unigrit!

Other than that there is not much you can do! buffing with a wool pad would help level the clear a little but I don`t recomend doing so unless you really know what your doing
    There is only one boss.THE CUSTOMER! And he can fire everybody in the company from the chairman on down,simply by spending his money somewhere else!

Post Thanks / Like

You could use a rotory and some polish. But you will be at it all day long. To remove the peel effectively, you will need to wet sand.

If you don`t want to wet sand, do you have a body shop contact that you could subcontract the job to? You would then perform a detail on the truck once it is wet sanded.

SC~

Post Thanks / Like

Ford orange peel is almost unacceptable. I wetsanded my Rangers tailgate two weeks ago. Be VERY careful if you wetsand. The paint was so thin I went right through in a spot. I`ve wetsanded for years so I`m experienced. I`ve never see paint so thin in my life. I`m repainting it in a couple months when I repaint my lower panels, which are trashed due to rock chips.
    Teflon is for frying pans.

Post Thanks / Like

Clay won`t do anything for this problem . You could try something like diamond cut by Meguiars or something similar. Wool pad on the rotary my make this go faster. If its real bad the only way your going to make it look better is to wetsand it . Then again you could just live with it To me the more cars and trucks I do the more I see this paint problem , its wide spread as far as manufactures go . I see it in Benz`s ,Toyota`s,Kia`s,Fords, on and on.

Adding . Regardless of which way you go , get yourself a paint thickness gauge and check the entire truck before and during the process just to be on the safe side.
    Good things are not cheap, and cheap things are seldom good !

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys for the advice but i have decided to turn down a job for the first time . i dont want to wetsand a brand new black paint job and if i cant make it look perfect without wetsanding id rather pass on it . it was not easy to turn a job down but this one is beyond my skill level and i dont want to be paying for a paint job .. thanks for the help
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like

If the truck is new ..as in just bought..have him take it back to the dealer and say the paint is not acceptable for what I paid for it..ask them to wetsand and maybe a respray of the clear....Reason I am saying this as a friend of mine got a new F-250...and the paint was horrible....they sent it out to thier body shop and wetsanded it and re shot the clear..looks nice now...

Al

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the advice al i will pass this info along to the guy with the truck ...
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like

take the truck back to the dealer, and tell them about the paint job and if it`s a newer truck they will fix the problem wet sand or if they have to repaint the truck they will, yes i can say working for ford motor co the paint they use is very thin, to the guy that sanded down his tail gate ,look at your vin number what letters are in the number that ranger was built in edison or twin city i use to work in edison so i know all about the ranger in and out the stories i could tell you the bullxxxx i seen going up the assembly line :rolling remember quality is job 1 my ass lol

Skinny Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like

I would never take a car back and have them respray the car as it will NEVER look any good. The clear on a OEM car is void of any trim pieces or moldings, nothing to mask off. What is going to happen is you will have masked edges show up and soon begin to chip and peel.

Wetsanding is not something anyone should do to a new car as the clear is only about 2 mils with the UV absorbers living in the top 1/2 mil of clear. Very easy to take off too much.

Post Thanks / Like

if it`s a new truck and still has a thing called warranty take it back !! it`s the dealer`s problem not your`s

Skinny Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like

The dealer won`t do anything about it because if they do something with your truck then they will have to do something with EVERY truck and car out there that complains about orange peel. Learn to live with it. It is a factory issue and not a delaer issue. The factory has alotted the dealer the trucks and cars it sells. You can try to take it back but most dealers, and the factory also, will look at it like this: "Well he signed the papers and took delivery of it and never said anything about orange peel. It`s his car/truck now!"

Post Thanks / Like

many g.m. models have the same problem. i don`t think they will repaint it willingly, you will have to jump through hoops with the district service manager. the dealer won`t do it themselves. good luck to them but they will ahev to live with it probably.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information