Post Thanks / Like

Cement (Yes Cement) on vehicle

Now this one definitely falls into the weird and obscure but at my regular job they were putting in new lights in the parking lot (with the cars in place) and put cement bases in the ground. When they cleaned out the trough that they mixed the cement in, they used a hose which sprayed it all over the back and top of my truck. I saw it when I was leaving and thought it was dirt from the rain we had that morning but last night I went to clean it and realized it was CEMENT!!!

It is now 2 days old and I have spots of cement coating the back and top of the truck. I know I have to get it off quick because of the lyme in the cement and it eating through the paint (Soft ford paint at that) but what would you suggest to remove it trying not to damage the truck?

I thank you all in advance (and yes you may laugh at this...lol). :brick

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cement (Yes Cement) on vehicle

Saturate the spots with vinegar to soften, and use a plastic razor to remove. It will take some time, and you`ll have some marring/light scratches to deal with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mgm2003
    Saturate the spots with vinegar to soften, and use a plastic razor to remove. It will take some time, and you`ll have some marring/light scratches to deal with.
    Do you think the cement may permanantly make the paint a different shade where it spotted?

Post Thanks / Like

I have not seen or heard of that problem, but I`ve only had to deal with cement a hand full of times.

Take your time to soak/saturate and you should be fine. It just takes up a lot of time, which makes it a PITA.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you try power washer?
    The result caused the addiction

Post Thanks / Like

A power washer wouldn`t give the power in the right way to remove cement, if you could remove dried cement with the power washer you`ll go through the paint. You need some sort of chemical cleaner to break it down first.
    Rides
    `95 Ford Taurus- White, freshly detailed, holds lots, smokes coolant like a chimney.
    `89 Honda CRX Si- Primer black, fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Use CLR. This happened to my friend`s `73 Duster w/a custom purple paint job. Neither vinegar or clay touched it.

The hurricanes last year caused the cement from his shop roof to drip down onto everything...

Soaking a sponge in water and patting CLR all over the paint to let it foam up, then buffing off worked. There was a ton of marring left though...

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I will try the vinegar and the CLR tonight with my fingers crossed for luck.

Thanks guys. I will let you know the results.

Skinny Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like

muratic acid. Place it in a shallow pail, soak a towel in it and the apply it to the car where the cement is. The towel will "steam" but that`s normal. Wear gloves and while it won`t harm your paint, as long as you wash it off as soon as it disolves the cement, only apply it to the areas where the cement is. Works much faster than vinegar.

Tilers use muratic acid to remove grout from very expensive tile, wash their hands in it also so it is not that caustic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bell
    muratic acid. Place it in a shallow pail, soak a towel in it and the apply it to the car where the cement is. The towel will "steam" but that`s normal. Wear gloves and while it won`t harm your paint, as long as you wash it off as soon as it disolves the cement, only apply it to the areas where the cement is. Works much faster than vinegar.

Tilers use muratic acid to remove grout from very expensive tile, wash their hands in it also so it is not that caustic.

I agree!
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am reminded of a story my parents tell me sometimes of when then got cement on a car. They had to get it repainted. there insurance company threatened to sue the cement companies insurance so we got a repaint, of course there is a deducatable. So if all the above dont work then you could contact insurance.

Greg

Thread Information