Thread: Driving PCH

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m about to leave on friday for San Francisco, CA. I currently live in Orange County. I was thinking about taking PCH just for once. I was just wondering if anyone else has taken this drive before? About how long am I expecting to drive? I drive a nice handling BMW, and I go with my fellow bmw club driving through twisties some time so im acustom to these types of streets. I`ve heard that this is basically all this drive is, which made me very excited. Anyways, your thoughts would be apreciated.
    - Aaron M

Post Thanks / Like
    I live right where the PCH ends. It`s great for testing out the handling of your vehicle, there might be traffic there, and you have to watch out for cops. At the end of PCH, you`ll have to go through the streets of Oxnard to get to the 101. It`s a beautiful scenic drive; have fun and drive safe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, you don`t have to go thru the streets of Oxnard to get to the 101 N from the PCH. Exit at Las Posas Rd, which cuts across the Oxnard plain and will take you to the 101 N ramp toward Santa Barbara. It`s a nice road to open it up a bit, but be careful as CHP/Sherrif patrol there and "hide" sometimes. Also, the Gaviota Pass is usually pretty heavily patrolled and they use planes in that area sometimes as well. Ask me how I know

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, it’s been a while but I seem to recall that the last time I made the PCH run from Monterey in about ten hours. I guess another two or so to San Francisco.

A lot will depend on what time you go (relative to city traffic) and if you want to hang out anywhere along the way. Every town and region along the way is wonderful and worth checking out. Obviously, if you’re trying to get there on a schedule you’ll have to pick one or two to stop in and visit the rest another time.

Unfortunately, heading north through OC/LA on a weekend is always miserable unless you leave early. As much as I love cruising from OC to Oxnard on PCH, for the last few years we’ve been taking the 5 to Santa Clarita and cutting over to the coast on the 126 if we leave home any time after 11:30AM.

If I can actually get a real early start I like to hit the road, catch breakfast in Malibu, or better yet, Santa Barbara.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by landcruiser
    Also, the Gaviota Pass is usually pretty heavily patrolled and they use planes in that area sometimes as well. Ask me how I know
    Does it have anything to do with this??

Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok well here was what I was thinking would be my plan of action.

- Wake up at 6am. Probably head out by 6:30.

- Take the 405 North through LA and then get on the 101N

- 101N --> 1 into Santa Cruz

- Jump onto the 17 and then onto the 280 which will take me right to where I want to go (SFSU).

Any suggestions for stops (places to eat, etc.)?

Im planning on being there around 4pm, and being there late doesnt really matter.
    - Aaron M

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adept
    Ok well here was what I was thinking would be my plan of action.

- Wake up at 6am. Probably head out by 6:30.

- Take the 405 North through LA and then get on the 101N

- 101N --> 1 into Santa Cruz

- Jump onto the 17 and then onto the 280 which will take me right to where I want to go (SFSU).

Any suggestions for stops (places to eat, etc.)?

Im planning on being there around 4pm, and being there late doesnt really matter.

I think you can make it. The Bay Area is my neck of the woods and I used to live in Orange County. I`d be much more worried about SoCal traffic than NorCal traffic. Overall though, the traffic should be pretty decent. Drive safe! :2thumbs:
    Devil Pad

Professional Automotive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    You could always stop by the "Rincon" and say hello! I`ll be here till Thursday!! And Im literally steps from the water........

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adept
    ...- 101N --> 1 into Santa Cruz...
    If you take the 101 through Salinas and hit Hwy 1 in Santa Cruz you bypass all the "twisties" and the most scenic sections of Hwy 1. Still a nice drive though, and a couple hours shorter.

For the best scenery and maximum "driving" take Hwy 1 from SLO, though Moro Bay and San Simeon (or take the 41 from Atascadero to catch Hwy 1 in Moro Bay). The "real" road starts north of San Simeon.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by a.k.a. Patrick
    Does it have anything to do with this??

Hey, Patrick--you owe me a new monitor! Just spewed coffee on mine :chuckle:

And BTW, if you`re near the Rincon, why not hit the Summerland Beach Cafe?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by the other pc
    If I can actually get a real early start I like to hit the road, catch breakfast in Malibu, or better yet, Santa Barbara.

PC.

I think Summerland Beach Cafe is a great choice, take the Evans off ramp and you`ll run right in to it. It`s an easy re-entry to the 101. Cliff House in Pismo is a great place as well, and Rosa`s Italian food in Pismo on Price St is very good. If you can travel on a Thursday, San Luis has a great street fari/Farmer`s Market every Thursday PM. Plenty of places to stay on Monterey Street and then you can get back on the 101 or head to Moro Bay, Cambria on the 1 as already noted.

HTH

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by landcruiser
    Hey, Patrick--you owe me a new monitor! Just spewed coffee on mine :chuckle:

And BTW, if you`re near the Rincon, why not hit the Summerland Beach Cafe?
    JP, actually Im back in T.O. right now for the kids` school registration/orientation. But back to the Rincon shortly, then tonight, back home for my daughters orientation/registration. Wednesday is the last day of this, then back to the Rincon for two final, full days.

So much for "vacation", lol......

Post Thanks / Like
    been there, done that... but it was about 5 or 6 years ago. Now, I get on the freeway & set the cruise control, trying to miss the L.A. traffic & get into the Bay Area before its traffic gets too bad as well. But when I drove it, I took PCH from Santa Monica all the way up. Spent the night in Morro Bay.

Were I to do it again, I think I`d blow off the southern part of the route- too much traffic &congestion, & some parts aren`t the most scenic. I`d recommend taking PCH from Morro Bay/San Simeon on northward- I thought that was the best part of the drive.

Thread Information