Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rjstaaf

Would you enjoy spending 8 hours (usually much more) driving around in your car in the hot Florida sun without tinted windows?

So does that mean traveling salesmen in Florida should be allowed to have extra dark glass? While I can agree about a lot of stuff that the police should be permitted to do that the average Joe Citizen can`t, tinted windows is not one of them.

I recently relocated from Texas to NC and had to remove all my tint and have my windows retinted due to the laws being different. Personally, I think it sucks. It should be standardized in the US, good or bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    We disagree on this, I don`t see any issue with cops having dark tinted windows.

Unfortunately the climate in the US is not standardized so I seriously doubt you will ever see a standard across the US.

Post Thanks / Like
    actually if you are a travelling salesman, etc and carry a large quantity of valubales or jewelry, etc. on a regular basis there is a provision in LA law that allows for dark tinted windows with a permit....
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually just rec`d my first ticket ever last Friday and it was for window tints up here in NY. I am glad I got the tint ticket rather than the initial reason I was pulled was b/c I was speeding 80 in a 55. $90 and now I am free and clear from this affecting my license pts wise and my insurance will not go up either.

Post Thanks / Like
    The new law is geared for black people in GA. But it wont hold after a class action suit comes behind it. Follow an officer home and check out his/her personal vehicles.

How will that LAW work for people that come to GA for vaction? and have tinted windows

As for me I think I`m going to see a eye doctor. so my tint will be legal

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by newagain

How will that LAW work for people that come to GA for vaction? and have tinted windows

it wont effect them unless their car is registered in GA
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by restaff

By that logic than they shouldn`t be allowed to carry guns, exceed the speed limit, etc..... There are plenty of things the police are permitted to do in the line of their job that we cannot do. Would you enjoy spending 8 hours (usually much more) driving around in your car in the hot Florida sun without tinted windows?

I drive a lot and my side windows are tinted to 28% and I can still get a tan through them.

That has nothing to do with their ability to carry guns or do their jobs. If I chose to carry a gun in my car, I could with the right permit. I am in sales and spend 8 hours a day behind the wheel. If my windows weren`t tinted my left arm and the left side of my face would be fried. I`ve been pulled over several times over the past 15 years and not one officer said anything about my tint.

My suggestion to those who have dark tint is if you`re pulled over, roll down the windows and keep your hands where the officer can see them.
    2004 Steel Gray Metallic Mazda6 S

2005 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200XLC Two Tone Vivid Black/Lava Red Sunglo

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ssarcevic

That has nothing to do with their ability to carry guns or do their jobs. If I chose to carry a gun in my car, I could with the right permit.

Sure it does, you stated that since everyone else was required to have 35% than that is what they should have. By your logic since no one else is allowed to carry a loaded weapon on their belt than neither should police and since it is illegal to exceed the speed limit that the same should go for the police.

That badge is their permit to have dark tint.

I can`t possibly see how it affects you but, it obviously bothers you so my suggestion would be for you to run for office and do something about it

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Tint law is non-sense. Some people can see from the law enforcement`s veiwpoint. But, you can also see from the law abiding (except for the tint law) resident who is minding his/her own business in the privacy tint provides. There are so many nut cases out there (especially in NY metro areas where I live) and I prefer I don`t want anyone looking at me while driving. If the cops are worried about the hidden guns, then, restricting the gun ownership will resolve this problem. But, it is a polical hot potato (gun ownership matters); so, the gov`t took an easy target at the tint restriction which do not anything about the law enforcement`s safety. If the law enforcement is not confortable with a tinted car he/she stopped, he/she can always ask them to roll down the windows (dah). If the occupant did not repospond to the request, you know you got someone you need to catch.

I think the well balanced tint grade is 30% to 35% (enough privacy for tax payer/law abiding resident but at the same time it does not impede the night time driving).
    YS

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by LouisanaJeeper

it wont effect them unless their car is registered in GA
    As a previous poster said, if you are out of state, it does not affect you. I think CA is only exception as it has a very draconian approach for out of state registered vehicle with tint. My cars are tinted all round 30% except for the front window and I used to live in NY and now in NJ. I think Tint law enforcement is based on the local situations. If your local law enforcement is not too busy with crimes, they will start busting you for other minor things as they need to write a ticket for revenue (this is synical way to look at it; but I see it that way). Good example is "click it or ticket." US Federal Govt gives out grants to police authorities money if they do the seat belt check certain days during the campaign. My areas do it; I click it when I see the road block (you can see it by the lights and traffic slow down). Usually right before the lunch time and around 1 to 3 p.m. time (thank god, cops don`t do this stoppage during the rush hours after 3 p.m.).
    YS

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Sir Clean

I think Tint law is non-sense. Some people can see from the law enforcement`s veiwpoint. But, you can also see from the law abiding (except for the tint law) resident who is minding his/her own business in the privacy tint provides. There are so many nut cases out there (especially in NY metro areas where I live) and I prefer I don`t want anyone looking at me while driving. If the cops are worried about the hidden guns, then, restricting the gun ownership will resolve this problem. But, it is a polical hot potato (gun ownership matters); so, the gov`t took an easy target at the tint restriction which do not anything about the law enforcement`s safety. If the law enforcement is not confortable with a tinted car he/she stopped, he/she can always ask them to roll down the windows (dah). If the occupant did not repospond to the request, you know you got someone you need to catch.

I think the well balanced tint grade is 30% to 35% (enough privacy for tax payer/law abiding resident but at the same time it does not impede the night time driving).

So gun ownership laws will prevent people who don`t obey the law in the first place from having guns? That makes a lot of sense :nixweiss Police officers aren`t worried about normal law obiding citizens shooting them but, unfortunately people don`t come with a sign that says they are a normal law obiding citizen.

In your situation above what if only the driver opens just their window? Is the officer to assume there is nobody else in the car since he can`t see through the other windows? What about a minivan where only the front windows open?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rjstaaf

So gun ownership laws will prevent people who don`t obey the law in the first place from having guns? That makes a lot of sense :nixweiss Police officers aren`t worried about normal law obiding citizens shooting them but, unfortunately people don`t come with a sign that says they are a normal law obiding citizen.

In your situation above what if only the driver opens just their window? Is the officer to assume there is nobody else in the car since he can`t see through the other windows? What about a minivan where only the front windows open?

Most of the tint laws allow all the windows except for the front driver/passenger windows and windshield. You can tint the the rest of the vehicle as, for example, most SUVs come as factory equipment. In that case, no one can see bad seat areas of those vehicle anyway if those cars have those tints. I don`t get your point on your 2nd graph.

Also just because a few bad apples in the society may try to shoot at someone from the car, I don`t think the law abiding citizen/resident should be subject to the tint laws (which is not effective for law enforcement`s safety). If you stretch this line of argument, maybe gov`t will tell you not to wear clothing because the law enforcement is worried about the concealed weapon under your cloth.
    YS

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Sir Clean

Most of the tint laws allow all the windows except for the front driver/passenger windows and windshield. You can tint the the rest of the vehicle as, for example, most SUVs come as factory equipment. In that case, no one can see bad seat areas of those vehicle anyway if those cars have those tints. I don`t get your point on your 2nd graph.

Also just because a few bad apples in the society may try to shoot at someone from the car, I don`t think the law abiding citizen/resident should be subject to the tint laws (which is not effective for law enforcement`s safety). If you stretch this line of argument, maybe gov`t will tell you not to wear clothing because the law enforcement is worried about the concealed weapon under your cloth.

Where do you get your information that dark tinted windows are not a safety issue for law enforcement? It is also a safety issue for other drivers on the road. Lets not pretend that this issue has to do with concern about the rights of all the law abiding drivers on the road to have dark tint. Seems more likely a few people that have had to comply with varying tint laws whining about it.

I do agree that $1000 is way out of hand for a tint violation. I would like to see more information on it though before I jump to the conclusion that it is just local government trying to bilk drivers. Could be an effort to quickly curb what they perceive to be a serious problem. So many people seem quick to assume everyone in government is corrupt.

It is obvious no one is going to change anyone else`s mind here. I have said my piece so I am going to bow out of this one. :p

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Setec Astronomy

And how does factory tinted (privacy? as called above) glass not offer a UV reduction? Glass by ITSELF substantially reduces UV transmission (which is why self-darkening sunglasses don`t work in your car), and, um, blocking the light IS what keeps the heat out of the car.

Glass by itself does NOT substantially reduce UV rays. If it does, why does the interior fade? I`ve been tinting windows for over 11 years. I`m not just tossing out random thoughts. By the way, self-darkening glass (photochromatic) IS available for vehicles but it is VERY expensive. Also, UV rays have absolutely nothing to do with photochromatic glass. They sense the amount of light, not UV rays.

Have you ever had curtains on a window at your house? No blinds or anything else, just curtains. Did it still get hot inside? Did anything still fade? Yes on both. Factory privacy glass has the same relative properties as curtains.

Yes, reducing the amount of light that comes through the glass cuts down on the heat, but it reduces vision as well. The amount of heat stopped by privacy glass is neglible. And, um, blocking the HEAT is what keeps the heat out. They make films that are so light you don`t even notice them, but they keep out 2-4 times the heat that privacy glass does.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not going to get into a huge argument here, but some of the points you have made are erroneous.

Originally posted by seracis

Glass by itself does NOT substantially reduce UV rays.
    If you look at the window manufacturer chart here you will see that clear glass only has a UV transmission rate of 58%. You may also notice the Low-E glass (which has a sputtered metal coating which has a very low UV transmission), which may be what you were referring to as "films that are so light you don`t even notice them, but they keep out 2-4 times the heat that privacy glass does". I`m not aware of Low-E coatings being used on automobiles.

Also, UV rays have absolutely nothing to do with photochromatic glass. They sense the amount of light, not UV rays.

This is just wrong. A quote from here "As a general rule, photochromic lenses won`t darken behind the windshield because the glass blocks out the UV rays that cause the lenses to change color."

Have you ever had curtains on a window at your house? No blinds or anything else, just curtains. Did it still get hot inside? Did anything still fade?

It gets hot inside your house because the sun is shining on THE WHOLE HOUSE. Your house has MUCH less relative window area than a vehicle. I don`t know if by "curtains" you refer to the filmy transparent kind, but I tend to open my blinds/curtains/drapes during the day, which lets light/heat in and can cause fading over time. This whole house comparison is bogus because stuff in your house isn`t designed to be fade resistant in the same manner your car is, but I don`t worry about it because I have Low-E windows, and I can see out at night, unlike you guys with your dark tints! :p

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information