Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rydawg
    Thanks buddy.

Where do your folks live?

Delray Beach..pretty much on the Boca line. LOTS of high end cars down there for you to work magic on! If you end up in that area, Ill make sure to bring whatever I rent by!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would definitely do some more market research on your move. I had a furniture store in Palm Beach Gardens ask me to give them some quotes for some of their damaged leather. Their previous guy was AWOL for a couple of months. After looking at all the damage and giving him ballpark prices, he said his other guy did the work for roughly half the price or less. He said I would get a lot of work for one day a month though (around $200 to $300). I said you would be better off hiring a P.I. to find your drugged out former repair guy.

On moving to SEFl, you have to decide what you like for a personal lifestyle. I know a lady in Gainesville that moved from Miami, because she thinks it is a horrible place to raise kids. I completely agree and if I was married with kids I wouldn`t even be able to find this place on the map.:lol It gets better as you move up the coast. Conversely, if you want to party then more hot women per capita seem to be in South Beach.

No one has mentioned St Augustine. It is a small town, but JAX is only a short drive away. My uncle lived there till he died and thought it was a really beautiful place to live. Another place way out in left field is St George Utah. I have some cousins who say it is a booming place with one of the fastest growing populations in the U.S. It is only about two hours nortth of Vegas, so the climate is pretty warm.

Honestly, the best advice I can give is to come down to Fl and stay in each place you think you might want to live for about two to three weeks. That should give you an idea of what you might like. Also, don`t forget about seasonal work. You could come down for the season and return home in the Spring to take care of your established clients.

P.S. - I took my shirt off today and I am not sure if I got sunburned or a tan.:lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Ryan - if you`re a hockey fan come see where the 04 Cup winners live - Tampa! Although you may want to wait until the Bruins win it this year!!!

I`m a Randolph, MA transplant and have absolutely loved West Central FL for the past 17 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck with your endeavor Ryan. It has always been a dream of mine to do the exact same thing.

You may want to consider Arizona also as the weather is nice and there are also tons of nice cars there also, and they do not have hurricanes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have looked for qualified detailers in the SE Florida (West Palm Beach, Boca Raton) area and have only found one. I`ve been lurking here for a while and would like to know a few names of people who can detail and answer correctly if the paint on my 2009 is single stage or two stage.

Ryan depending on your age you will need to decide if you want to be on the SE coast were things move a little faster, there are tons of things to spend your money on, and you can see a NFL, NBA, or MLB game after only driving 1 1/2 hours if residing in West Palm Beach. As for women it is just knowing were to look for them as there is definately no shortage down here.

I believe that with word of mouth and a little advertising as others have said you could be so booked up you wouldn`t have much time for anything else.

The cons are it is extremely hot in the summer. Sun index is usually between 14 -18 with it reaching 80 and 90% humidity by about 8 am. It will normally rain almost everyday in the afternoon from late May to late September and be pretty dry from November - early March. The demographics are so diverse with age and nationality that the accident rate is pretty high. All and all I think it is well worth it though.

Where you think of being mobile or working out of the clients or your garage? If in West Palm Beach you could easily travel to Delray Beach, Boca Raton in 25 minutes and hit just about any part of Fort Lauderdale in about an hour.

PM me if I can be of any help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dbusiness
    I have looked for qualified detailers in the SE Florida (West Palm Beach, Boca Raton) area and have only found one. I`ve been lurking here for a while and would like to know a few names of people who can detail and answer correctly if the paint on my 2009 is single stage or two stage.

I sent you an PM.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always wanted to move South. I hate winters and this year has been horrible. But with a ten year old with my ex I would have to wait another eight years. The problem with Florida is the heat during the summer is almost as bad as the cold during the winter up here. But I am the kind of guy that needs it to be 80. I guess maybe San Diego is the place for me.

Best of luck down there. If you have no strings then don`t be tied down. That is the best thing about this wonderful Country we live in. For now, we are free citizens to pick up and move where ever we want. Hard work usually pays off and everyone has the same advantages to succeed. Got to love the good old USA!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to laugh when people say it gets hot down here in the summer. Yes, it does with the humidity. The difference is there is still a limit to how high it will go. While it is hotter than Atlanta during the summer, it is not by much.

fergnation,

Some good family places from what I am seeing are the places I mentioned above and Gainesville Fl.

David,

I gave your info to a guy in Delray. I did a below average job on his Mercedes leather/vinyl seat. If he calls and you do it, then don`t be shocked by the work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Quality Leather
    I have to laugh when people say it gets hot down here in the summer. Yes, it does with the humidity. The difference is there is still a limit to how high it will go. While it is hotter than Atlanta during the summer, it is not by much.

I agree temperature wise, but when working outside all day and the sun index is between 14 - 18 the 90 degrees feels like over 100. The sun index hardly breaks a 12 in Hot lanta.

Post Thanks / Like
    Come on Ryan... Who is going to keep my baby shiny? Have fun down there....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coutzen
    Come on Ryan... Who is going to keep my baby shiny? Have fun down there....

I will still come up here and take care of some cars too for my special customers.. Your on that special list.:2thumbs:

I am doing a spring clean up on Ron`s GT this weekend.:LOLOL

p.s. You like my avatar pic?
    Raising The Gloss Bar One Car At a Time!

UNIQUE POLISHING, MA / NH

Ryan Blanchette

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Quality Leather

fergnation,

Some good family places from what I am seeing are the places I mentioned above and Gainesville Fl.

Gainesville is more college town than anything, I wouldn`t really call it a family city. Furthermore, unless you`re a doctor(or in some sort of health-care) or can be a professor at UF, you will be severely underpaid. And there`s only a handful of decent cars to detail here.

Post Thanks / Like
    <<<I was going to PM this to you, but decided to make it public so people can also chime in on their opinions.>>>

Ryan,

Consider your move to Florida very carefully. I have a lot of friends who were "tired" of the snow and cold weather and did the same. Unfortunately, what is "not so sunny" in Florida is not as well advertised...

#1 You traded snow for hurricanes. I haven`t heard of snow blowing the roof off of anyone`s houses here in or having cars super trashed due to flying debris in MA...

#2 The economy there is much more depressed and slower to recover. People with money who live there for part of the year DO NOT make their money there. The "rich" people live there for half the year. During that half, they use their cars half the time, half the wear = less need to get their cars detailed.

#3 For the type of work that you do, there may be LESS cars to work on per capita in FL. At least here in MA, the weather makes them WANT to get their cars detailed. In sunny FL, there is less "need" to get the cars detailed.

One of the ways for you to "build" your clientele is to work at the higher end dealerships such as "Braman" in Miami and West Palm Beach. Obviously, they need to be hiring and you wouldn`t want to be communicating to them that you are there to solely "build clientele". They will probably ask you sign non-compete agreements. But that`s easy enough to get around by "incorporating" yourself and making yourself an employee of that company you started. Non competes cannot prevent you from earning the right to make a living.

I know you weren`t asking for advice... But I`ve seen the work that you do and you seem to be a good guy that I wouldn`t want to make rash decisions. So just choose carefully....

Post Thanks / Like
    On The Other Hand:

1- we haven`t had a hurricane in 4 years.

• 1919 - Key West

• 1926 - Miami

• 1928 - Okeechobee

• 1935 - The Florida Keys

• 1960 - Hurricane Donna

• 1964 - Hurricane Cleo

• 1965 - Hurricane Betsy

• 1992 - Hurricane Andrew

• 2004 - Hurricane Frances

• 2004 - Hurricane Jeanne

• 2005 - Hurricane Wilma

2/3- If any economy is going to recover 1st, it will be Florida. It`s the vacation capitol of the US and one of the most popular places in the world for people with money to visit. As long as it`s warm 12 months of the year here, people will come. There`s no other state that is. It`s actually alot more affordable to live here too.

If I could pick any place to open a shop, it would be S. Florida. There`s so many expensive vehicles everywhere and people take care of them religiously. I know many snowbirds that still have their vehicles detailed, even when they aren`t here to enjoy them. If you leave a car outside for more than a few hours, a film develops and makes you want to wash it off. Most people here aren`t price shoppers either. They actually want to pay more than the next person.

Brahman doesn`t pay their people crap. Most are inexperienced hacks that don`t know how to correct paint. Ryan is a professional adult and needs to make an professional adult wage. Dealer detailers down here make as much as the people at Taco Bell. Even if you did detail at a dealer, it`s not like you`ll ever get a name for yourself. You probably won`t ever get a chance to meet the owner, you can`t leave a card for them and it`s illegal for you to save their personal contact info.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    Even if you did detail at a dealer, it`s not like you`ll ever get a name for yourself. You probably won`t ever get a chance to meet the owner, you can`t leave a card for them and it`s illegal for you to save their personal contact info.

The only thing I would challenge (not saying you are wrong since I don`t know the laws in FL) is that it`s probably only "policy" for dealers not to have you save contact information. I hardly think it would be a law. HOWEVER, if you go snooping into the glovebox for their information, it`s a different story. If you retain the information in your head, it`s legal.

Leaving a card that says "Thanks for granting us the opportunity to detail your car...etc. etc. etc... Signed, Joe Smith." is perfectly acceptable so long as there`s no contact information for Joe Smith that can be construed vying for work in competition with the dealer. Then again to your point, dealers can have "policies" where you can`t leave anything at all...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information