Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I am making my monthly pilgrimage back down to Miami. I was wondering how many guys are in the South Florida area.

Post Thanks / Like
    S. Florida right here. What`s the purpose of your travels down south?
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Boca here.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    FLL for 30 years.:bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Jupiter up in here.
    2007 Mazda3i - Black Mica

2009 Honda Civic EX-L coupe - Tafetta White

Post Thanks / Like
    Tampa for 6 years now. There`s a meet in Lakeland on the 26th in you can make it. PM John Henry for the info.
    -Justin

Post Thanks / Like
    Justin,

Sorry, I meant southeast FL or the WPB, FTL, and Miami area. I would like to drop by for the meet, but I will still be in Miami.

Dave,

I was living in Miami for a couple of years and still travel down to do leather repair. With gas prices, I am going to probably have to make a decision on one place or the other. I was maybe looking to pick some brains a little on everyones thoughts on working down there and a little networking. I do mostly furniture, as I just couldn`t stomach going to the dealerships anymore. Anyway, I was thinking if some people might want to meet for lunch or something if we could pull it off. You can see my work at my website www.qualityleathrrepair.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Hollywood area here!!!

Elkin

ElkinAD.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    coconut grove!
    Scheer Signature Detailing

Miami, FL

Post Thanks / Like
    I just returned from Miami and unless something changes I think I am going to bid farewell to SFL. Unfortunately, I do love the weather.

Scheer,

Do you have a fixed location or are you mobile?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quality Leather: What are you finding wrong with the S. Florida market?

What I think is amazing is that there are virtually NO fixed shops down here. Everything is mobile. I`d love it if someone put together a nice shop *in the right spot*. It would be a goldmind. If I wasn`t married w/kids (wife`s a stay at home mom), I`d seriously consider opening one up. It would kill.....

There`s so many high end cars and clients that are forced to maintain their vehicles by the mobile hack n washers that have no clue on quality work. I see guys doing wash n waxes with interior clean ups for $30!! They`re the ones killing this market.

What are people`s ideas on fixed shops down here?
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

A quick history of me. I bought a leather repair franchise in 1996 in Raleigh. I continued to learn about the industry above and beyond my franchise`s limited knowledge base. After five years, I went independent until I hooked up with a leather chemical manufacturer. I helped introduce and develop the color computer for this industry. During that time, I met a lot of people across the US (apart from the ones I knew in my old franchise). Wanting to warm up and believing I could do better back on my own, I moved to Miami in 2003. I thought there was a vacuum there for leather repair. Also, I talked to several people across the US about how to maximize making money in this industry. Since I don`t speak Spanish and don`t really like dealerships, I decided to concentrate on the furniture side and retail side. After about two years of doing poorly, a furniture store owner told me that Latins don`t like to fix their furniture. Before anyone says anything, this guy is Cuban and owned this store since the early 1970s. Anyway, the high cost of living and the relative lack of sales helped build up my debt and my need to find a cheaper place to live.

In answer to your question, I think I would need to do some dealerships to actually make it down there. I think everyone here knows the issues with dealerships, so I won`t elaborate. Yes, there may be a way to make it without the dealerships, but I am all ears on how to do it.

As for a fixed location, I haven`t looked at the market. Didn`t that Tim Hardaway shop on 1 close down. There is another decent looking one right there in the Grove, but this isn`t my area of expertise. Are most of these shops hack n whack? I know when I owned a glass business a lot of shops closed down and went strictly mobile as it was more cost effective.

Post Thanks / Like
    Would WPB be a better location for you to set up shop? With the housing market Completely in the toilet (worse then most) you could find a good deal im sure. I have friends who have had their house for sale for about 2 years and knocked about 80k off the price just to get out (moving to NC)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostedMopar
    Would WPB be a better location for you to set up shop? With the housing market Completely in the toilet (worse then most) you could find a good deal im sure. I have friends who have had their house for sale for about 2 years and knocked about 80k off the price just to get out (moving to NC)

No, one of the reasons I moved to Miami was I thought there was a vacuum, but there is really not that much interest. Unless I did the dealerships, I think I am pretty much capped out at around $2-3k a month. WPB and FTL are ultra competitive. That doesn`t mean I can`t compete, but it would take awhile to break in. I think I am going to throw in the towel on SFL. If anyone is interested in adding a interior/leather repair business, then give me a shout. If I don`t end up selling it, then I may return in a couple of years.

Post Thanks / Like
    hello from Aventura FL

Luxury Royal Detailing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information