Thread: Alpharetta, GA

Post Thanks / Like
    So I am one of those college kids who is eager to jump into a career and work, work, work. I currently am working for a great company here in Michigan but eventually want to move down to Georgia because of the atmosphere and career opportunities.

After this semester in school I`m thinking about heading down to Alpharetta for the summer to maybe do an internship in an IT position and get familiar with the area while taking my online courses during the summer. Then return for my senior year of college in Michigan or find a college down there where I can finish my last semester. My question is does anyone know of someone with an open room they are willing to rent out if I do decide to go this route for the summer? I`d rather ask on here first than look online

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Cant tell you about a place to live but have you been to Alpharetta before? Its a nice area but not much happening there, kinda boring. And Atlanta has less than desireable people from my experience not to mention traffic is hell. If you have any other questions feel free to AIM me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have driven through Alpharetta and loved the area...always has been on my mind for somewhere I would like to live. While you may think Alpharetta is boring...I don`t think anything can compare to where I currently live in terms of boring and horrible job market.

I may take you up on the AIM if I think of any questions

Post Thanks / Like
    I have only been to Atlanta once but the woman all were gorgeous. I have mentioned this to many people and everyone who had been to Atlanta agreed...those Georgia peaches...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    I have only been to Atlanta once but the woman all were gorgeous. I have mentioned this to many people and everyone who had been to Atlanta agreed...those Georgia peaches...
    I dont know if I say that all the women were gorgeous, thats reserved for Cali and TX, but yes the women there are rather nice especially around the colleges.

PaulieWalnuts447 is the AIM if you want to chat. Ive been there about 2 dozen time for week business stints.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Josh, you ever thought about South Florida? There is *tons* of money to be made down here and the lifestyle is great. And you should see the girls .
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Creating Parking Lot Envy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy

Oh yeah baby we have beautiful peaches! :2thumbs:

I live the town over from Alpharetta and they do roll up the sidewalks around 9PM. Now there are some nice bars in the area and you can always take a trip to Atlanta if you need more.

Yes indeed our traffic BITES. Gridlock lasts hours but when it is not the rush hours time frame we do travel fast. Speed limit signs are for tourists! Move right or we will run you over. This in the Atlanta area only...outside of metro area they will arrest you for 10 over the limit just like everywhere else.

If you find a place in Alpharetta the main route to Atlanta is GA400 which is also know as the training track for up and coming NASCAR racers.

Since moving here from Illinois years ago my eyes DO enjoy the exercise everyday I go out and about. Lovely ladies. :shocked

We do have exotic cars all around the area.

Drought is what is killing the entire upper third of Georgia and will continue for the next couple of years. If you do not have ONR you will need it if you like your car clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPolisher
    Oh yeah baby we have beautiful peaches! :2thumbs:

I live the town over from Alpharetta and they do roll up the sidewalks around 9PM. Now there are some nice bars in the area and you can always take a trip to Atlanta if you need more.

Yes indeed our traffic BITES. Gridlock lasts hours but when it is not the rush hours time frame we do travel fast. Speed limit signs are for tourists! Move right or we will run you over. This in the Atlanta area only...outside of metro area they will arrest you for 10 over the limit just like everywhere else.

If you find a place in Alpharetta the main route to Atlanta is GA400 which is also know as the training track for up and coming NASCAR racers.

Since moving here from Illinois years ago my eyes DO enjoy the exercise everyday I go out and about. Lovely ladies. :shocked

We do have exotic cars all around the area.

Drought is what is killing the entire upper third of Georgia and will continue for the next couple of years. If you do not have ONR you will need it if you like your car clean.
    TX still owns GA for womens

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by themightytimmah
    Hey Josh, you ever thought about South Florida? There is *tons* of money to be made down here and the lifestyle is great. And you should see the girls .

I have looked into Florida, frankly anywhere other than Michigan is an option. Any specific counties I should look into? I`m going to be going into the IT field so I will run a few searches on apartments/housing and job outlook. Thanks for the suggestion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Josh,

I`m sending you a PM.
    ~werd to yo mutha~
    Wade

Post Thanks / Like
    Josh,

I tried to put this in a PM, but it was too long, so I put it here. I forgot that PM`s can only be so long....I remembered after I had already typed all this.

I am wanting to go into the IT field..Specifically Computer Support and then working my way into a Network Administrator position. I am currently in a Computer Support position here in Michigan but the market just isn`t going well. My only option will be to move and now the question is to where.

There`s money in that field for sure. Alpharetta is close enough to the city, that A LOT of people commute to Atlanta. Traffic sucks, but atleast you`re not dealing with snow (atleast not like what you`re used to...we usually dont get ANY).

I guess to start I`ll ask a basic question...do you like Alpharetta and the area? I`m not so concerned with living in a big city like people mentioned in the thread as long as there are a few nice places to eat and shopping that is all the entertainment I need.

I like this area a lot. I think as a whole Alpharetta is a pretty cool place to live. The people are pretty friendly for the most part, and the area is really nice. The landscaping is usually kept up nicely (we`re in drought conditions now, so a visit down here real soon may not show that) and there are tons of restaurants. There are two malls that are pretty close. Northpoint Mall is in Alpharetta or you can head down GA400 a little ways to Perimeter Mall and then you have Lenox Mall that isnt not much farther than that. There`s Phipps (near Lenox) if you want to drop a chunk of change.

When I look online it seems like a lot of people are hiring for this..are there a lot of businesses/corporations down there in your area, or even surrounding cities? Also, I will probably be going into an apartment to begin with and the pricing seems reasonable but could you tell me anything about the housing market and what you get in the $125-150k range? Could you get a decent house in that price range or is the cost of living a lot higher?

Well, I`m not really sure about IT. My father works for Dell, but he`s in sales, and he works from the house. There is a pretty fair share of business here in Alpharetta, and like I said before, Atlanta really isnt that far away. Atlanta is an amazing city. It`s got everything you could possibly want really. There are a TON of companies based in Atl you could get on with and make money. UPS (which has an office in Alpharetta would be a great one).

Apartments around here usually run probably around $750-$800+ for a nice one bedroom. I have a friend that was paying $869 in Dunwoody (which is not too far from here) for a one bedroom. You can get cheaper apartments in Alpharetta or Roswell (which is a neighboring city) but the nice ones are probably in that range. $125-$150K isnt going to get you a nice home in this town. I was looking before and for something that needs work but is liveable, you`ll probably have to look in the $170K and up range (at the very least). You could go North to Cumming and get a little more for your money.

I PM`ed you some contact info if you have any more questions. If you fly down for a visit, let me know and we can run around town a little bit on a weekend.

HTH.

Wade
    ~werd to yo mutha~
    Wade

Post Thanks / Like
    Wade, I really appreciate all the information, it helps alot! I will definitely keep your contact information on hand as I may try and make a trip down to GA this spring.

Thanks again!

Thread Information