Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey I`m from Murfreesboro (Nashville suburb). I went to MTSU and.... ahh who cares!

Again about Orlando, It seems like a great place to live if you choose the right area. If you`re used to traffic, then hey you`re set. The only advice I`ll give is this, buy a condo.

The rental properties here will cost you the same if not more that a condo payment (for the record I`m totally against renting anything simply because you never own it). But a condo, now that is something that you will eventually own and perhaps gain equity in the long run.

The market is perfect for buyers right now. I`m currently renting a condo for the 3 months I`m here and I know they are trying to sell some dirt cheap (like $99K).

Essentially, you`re not resposible for anything while owning a condo. You pay your mortgage and a monthly fee and then enjoy the ammenities. I currenlty live on a lake, have 2 pools and a nice fitness center to take advantage of on a daily basis. They pick-up my trash and they offer 3 car washing stalls with vacuums!

If you`re not really moving to settle so to speak, then by all means rent. If you think you may live here for > 5 yrs, buy something! Just MHO.

JJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to be a jerk but Orlando was one of the lamest cities I have ever been to. I would never live there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Buying something is something that I will consider but not currently worried about at the moment. I mean I am only 24 but if the price, location, re-sale value for that area, and average days/weeks are good for a re-sale then that is something I will consider.

I mean, I know millionaires in Brentwood/Bellevue/Bellemeade that are currently thinking of moving back into the city to "rent" just because of many reasons. Not because they have to but for reasons I`m sure you would already beable to think of yourself. So, renting is not a problem for me at the moment. I`m perfectly ok with that as of right now. In time though I will for sure buy something just not right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamHBonney
    Not to be a jerk but Orlando was one of the lamest cities I have ever been to. I would never live there.

Well, no problem with telling people what you feel about something but a simple explanation of whatever would help. Like I said I am very open to other opinions on cities in Florida. Heck, the other city on my list is Tampa so don`t hold anything back just give it to me straight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdsys_x86
    Well, no problem with telling people what you feel about something but a simple explanation of whatever would help. Like I said I am very open to other opinions on cities in Florida. Heck, the other city on my list is Tampa so don`t hold anything back just give it to me straight.
    The traffic was horrible, but Im not sure where its not these days. There are way way too many tourists there. Way too many blue hairs. It felt cheap and dumpy IMO. Plus the fact that there are mouse ears every way you turn is annoying. They should just name the town Disney. Just not my thing. Although I would take the weather over Minnesota any day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Traffic is a problem for the most part in every big city which I`m totally use to. Traffic isn`t an issue at all. Tourists, I live in Nashville, Music CIty tourists everywhere on the weekends so not a problem either. I enjoy the big crouds! :-) Not sure what you meant by the mouse ears, but assuming it meant that people can hear every word you say when you are hoping it was private. Hmm.. I`ll leave that one alone. It`s not for everyone I know this but I am attracted to Florida for many reasons and will be making the move so if any thoughts come into mind please give them to me. I wont mind a bit buddy. Thanks for the feedback, and take care.

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdsys_x86
    Traffic is a problem for the most part in every big city which I`m totally use to. Traffic isn`t an issue at all. Tourists, I live in Nashville, Music CIty tourists everywhere on the weekends so not a problem either. I enjoy the big crouds! :-) Not sure what you meant by the mouse ears, but assuming it meant that people can hear every word you say when you are hoping it was private. Hmm.. I`ll leave that one alone. It`s not for everyone I know this but I am attracted to Florida for many reasons and will be making the move so if any thoughts come into mind please give them to me. I wont mind a bit buddy. Thanks for the feedback, and take care.

Bryan
    By mouse ears I meant that Mickey is everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamHBonney
    The traffic was horrible, but Im not sure where its not these days. There are way way too many tourists there. Way too many blue hairs. It felt cheap and dumpy IMO. Plus the fact that there are mouse ears every way you turn is annoying. They should just name the town Disney. Just not my thing. Although I would take the weather over Minnesota any day.

You know, you probably were in the wrong part of Orlando. Cheap, maybe, dumpy, no way. Pretty much everything there is brand new, and everything is sparkling clean. It`s so refreshing to go there because a lot of places around here is a dump compared to there.
    Jonathan

Post Thanks / Like
    "looks like Polk County could be the area I`ve mentioned."

Polk County has the lowest literacy rate of anywhere in Florida. My grandmother used to live there. We went to a supermarket and had people asking us to read the bottles for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW335i
    You know, you probably were in the wrong part of Orlando. Cheap, maybe, dumpy, no way. Pretty much everything there is brand new, and everything is sparkling clean. It`s so refreshing to go there because a lot of places around here is a dump compared to there.
    Really? We were all over the place and stayed in a very expensive resort non-disney related. I know that we were in a more touristy area but even the non-touristy areas were dumpy to me.

We did also drive to Jacksonville, that was a nice city.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TH0001
    "looks like Polk County could be the area I`ve mentioned."

Polk County has the lowest literacy rate of anywhere in Florida. My grandmother used to live there. We went to a supermarket and had people asking us to read the bottles for them.
    Thats sad, I am not the smartest person around and I screwed off most of college but man to not even be able to read the bottles. Poor people.

I just looked at my travel schedule and I actually have to be in Orlando October 13-16 of this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you really have to live in Orlando for a while before you can really judge it. The traffic, sure it can be bad but you get to learn what roads to take and when, to get where you need to go. As for tourists, they don`t generally venture too far into Orlando and are concentrated around the parks, mostly SouthWest Orlando. Might be a problem if you spend a lot of time in SouthWest Orlando but again, you learn to live with it. We lived in Orlando most recently for 8 years and I have to say neither issue bothered us. What really drove us out of Orlando and Florida in general was the public school system. The public school system just isn`t keeping up with the explosive growth. Probably not a problem for most of you guys but for me it was a huge issue that eventually forced our move. Our kids are thriving here now and all is good but we do miss Orlando. Once the kids get college age we will likely move back to Orlando.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rjstaaf
    We lived in Orlando most recently for 8 years and I have to say neither issue bothered us. What really drove us out of Orlando and Florida in general was the public school system. The public school system just isn`t keeping up with the explosive growth. Probably not a problem for most of you guys but for me it was a huge issue that eventually forced our move. Our kids are thriving here now and all is good but we do miss Orlando. Once the kids get college age we will likely move back to Orlando.

Sorry to hear that about the school system and making you want to move. I have heard bad things about the Florida School system myself. My kids are in one of the highest rated schools in the state of TN and we absolutely love having them there so when I move they will deffinately stay here.

I will miss them of course but the mother and I aren`t together and don`t plan on getting back together so we will be doing alot of every other weekend driving to meet half way so I can visit. Which is ok with me. I`m close to my kids, heck I`m still a kid and we have an awesome time together. Sometimes I wear them out.. lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was surprised about 6 months ago to hear that Orlando had the "worst people reputation" in the American polls

Every time I`ve been, I`ve never bumped into a horrible Floridian.

bsdsys_x86 : have you considered Ft. Lauderdale ? Now THAT is the place I`m moving to when my lottery numbers come up

Real cheap places, if you got a coupla million dollars to spare :chuckle:

WilliamHBonney : Mickey IS everywhere, if you go looking for him. There are thousands of tourists every time off the year, but you CAN venture away from the Kissimmee area - Florida`s a big place ya know. Just think, if it wasn`t for us damn tourists pouring money into the FL pot, it would be a whole different place.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information