Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I got my audio done finally. I got a MTX 6500D amp pushing two MTX 8000 12 inchers. They hit solid and hard and sound great until I close the trunk and it sounds like the trunk is going to blow off. Anyway to tighten the trunk down?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know about tightening your lid down. But you can pick up some dynomat, which is a sound deadener/absorber...it will keep the top of your trunk from rattling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Aurorav8

I don`t know about tightening your lid down. But you can pick up some dynomat, which is a sound deadener/absorber...it will keep the top of your trunk from rattling.

How does that keep the trunk from rattling? I have never used it.

Post Thanks / Like
    You want dynamat, not dynomat. Dynamat is a metal vibration dampening pad. You can get a dynamat trunk kit direct from Dynamat, or you can usually get it from a car stereo shop.

edit: you can`t get it direct from them, but you can find a distributor on their site.

Post Thanks / Like
    You might want to check your license plate. It is a huge contribution to rattle or vibration. Dynamat has a kit for plates as well. I know Circuit City carries it and Jackie Cooper Electronics, Best Buy, most of the big name electronics stores.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jake11375

You might want to check your license plate. It is a huge contribution to rattle or vibration. Dynamat has a kit for plates as well. I know Circuit City carries it and Jackie Cooper Electronics, Best Buy, most of the big name electronics stores.

I forgot to mention that the plate is not on the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had 12-12" JLW6`s in my "winter beater" car, powered by 6 Soundstream Reference 500`s... aside from the leaking back window that suddenly developed, I had several layers of Dynamat on all of the interior metal surfaces of the car - it still vibrated (go figure), but the dynamat helped a ton.

Dynamat absorbs sound waves/vibrations. Take the lid from a pan and hit it with a spoon - the lid will ring like a gong. Place your hand on the backside of it and hit it again - it won`t ring, but it will "thud". That`s sort of what dynamat does.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 2 12" speakers in my car, but the only thing that rattles is the liscense plate. Does the Dynamat liscense plate thing work, or are there any other solutions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the dynamat works for license plates. Have you tried just using some rubber grommets behind the plate? That would be a nice $1.50 fix, if it works out.

Post Thanks / Like
    2001civicex,

It`s actually quite a simple process. In addition to the sound deadening materials, you might want to check out the link below.... It`s from a forum that I consider the "Autopia of Civic Mods"

7thGenCivic.com DIY Page

Just scroll down to the "No More Trunk Rattle!" link.

(I never knew clearing my headlights could be so easy)

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Intermezzo

2001civicex,

It`s actually quite a simple process. In addition to the sound deadening materials, you might want to check out the link below.... It`s from a forum that I consider the "Autopia of Civic Mods"

7thGenCivic.com DIY Page

Just scroll down to the "No More Trunk Rattle!" link.

(I never knew clearing my headlights could be so easy)

Hey sweet! I am on 7thgen too! Have been forever. I am not crazy about the new forum so I have been avoiding it cause of the pop ups. But I will agree...that site rocks for us 7th gens! I am bobbyd over there by the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, the thread was awesome! I love their new forums! haha I actually do like the site it is just the pop up ads are getting on my nerves while at work is all. Thanks again man now I have tonights project

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, talk about pop-up hell....LoL Not crazy about the speed either. Other than that, it`s a great site... I love how they`ve got a DIY section and it`s interesting how they always list the most recent searches whenever you try to do one yourself.

EDIT::: hope it works out for you. Fortunately, the trunk rattle article is one of the easiest to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah, the pop ups suck at work especially when it is for a penis enlargemnt or something. haha

Yeah, I also hope it works! I am going to try that tonight. I am sure it will though cause i can fell the trunk has some play and when i push on the trunk the ratlle goes away. Now I just have to hope that when I thow my license plate back on it won`t ratlle either. I got foam padding behind it though. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same problem and to Dynomatt the entire trunk was going to be really expesive. So I went to Home Depot and in the roofing ailse they have a product called Peal-n-seal. It is like $15 a roll. I think I used 2 and may 1/4 of another one. But I pulled out all that was in the trunk and the carpet stuck it to the bare metal and violo no more rattling. Instead now my rear deck rattles

anyways I am going to peal and seal that as well. I also did the back of my license plate.

:xyxthumbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information