Post Thanks / Like

Training schools recommendations please!

Guys I have been trying to get some advice from people that has actually been in one of this 4 detailing Schools in Ca. rightlook, chemical guys, detailing pros and the detailing.com. All this 4 schools when you talk to them they always tells you that they are the best of the best, I am pretty sure the all have their good and bads, The price of the training is similar. Please give me some advise and share with me any experience if you have one with anyone of them. $ 2000 for me is a lot of money for a training but I also know that if I going to get in this business I need to get it. Thanks,

Ramdallas

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Training schools recommendations please!

What background do you have in Detailing? Going to school is great, but like many things its going to be ALOT of info in a compressed amount of time.

I would suggest you ask a few of these questions:
    1) mobile, fixed & size of business you want to run
    2) background in polishes, chemicals, cleaners, & EQUIPMENT
    3) target audience/market

From what I`ve seen Rightlook & CG utilize their own products heavily. Detailing.com is run a few times by Renny Doyle who uses many product lines (way smarter). Everyone has their own bias and resources, its more of what a detailer can get out of the course versus what you think you might learn.

IMO, People really underrate the simple task of interning/working for other detailers. You can learn so much from technique, approach, and skill set. Also, ignore the push to constantly buy products and focus at the core of what makes money.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t have a background in the detailing business but what I have done to my own cars, I will need training pretty much on every area of the business. What I am trying to do is to set a mobile van, I had consider the idea of working for somebody else but is been hard to find someone willing to train specially in the Dallas Area. I heard some good stuff about Mel Craig who is the one that does the training at Detailing Pros, he is suppose to be really good and has a lot of experience in the Detail industry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ramdallas View Post
    I don`t have a background in the detailing business but what I have done to my own cars, I will need training pretty much on every area of the business. What I am trying to do is to set a mobile van, I had consider the idea of working for somebody else but is been hard to find someone willing to train specially in the Dallas Area. I heard some good stuff about Mel Craig who is the one that does the training at Detailing Pros, he is suppose to be really good and has a lot of experience in the Detail industry.
    I`d recommend you read this book first before pulling the trigger on anything:
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Home-based-Detailing-Business-Home-Based-Series/dp/0762778768/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361416677&sr=8-1&keywords=home+based+detailing]How to Start a Home-based Car Detailing Business (Home-Based Business Series): Renny Doyle: 9780762778768: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Mel has posted on here once or twice (marketing wise). Either him or Renny would be good, but I`d emphasize training doesn`t guarantee ANYTHING at all. You have to have a synergy between detailing skills and business skills. Call up either places and see what they can offer.

Network like mad, there are alot of special detailers that are willing to give advice up to a certain point.

Post Thanks / Like

listen up to what liquid said.need to start reading up on how to attract the people to your services.in other words up need toattract those that care about there vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like

Start with the basics first. Don`t expect to go to a training and come out being ready to do major paint corrections on a daily basis. Sure, you`ll learn to do it at the training, but it will probably be more information than you will be able to retain right away. Learning how to handle a polisher is easy. Learning how to deal with the variables takes a lot of experience. Every good detailer here has had moments where they have been scratching their heads at what they thought was going to be easy.

Start with doing good, solid cleaning and waxing/sealing. You will gain experience, begin to build a reputation and client base and you will come across plenty of "WTF" moments that will help you fully understand what you are learning at a more advanced training.

I also highly recommend putting yourself to the test before committing full time. There is a big difference between working on your own and friends` cars on the weekends vs. doing it day in and day out. It is physically demanding and requires an extreme amount of patience and focus.

I had someone help me today who just wanted to learn. He was in awe at exactly how many "details" really were involved in my process. Needless to say, I`ve never had anyone actually stick with it for more than a few days. They all seem to think it is washing and waxing Lambos & Ferraris. Cleaning carpets, headliners, rear windows, dog hair, melted crayons, spilled coffee, etc. from an SUV or minivan just isn`t what they had in mind. You have to truly enjoy it or you`ll start cutting corners and it will show.

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Where at in cali are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Go to work for a dealer. Let them pay for your training (urrrr.. you ruining a few paint jobs) and earn a check too !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmooth View Post
    Where at in cali are you?
    I am in Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Phillip`s Bootcamp Class is a two day, intense instructional program that covers all areas of automotive detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Mike Phillip`s Bootcamp Class is a two day, intense instructional program that covers all areas of automotive detailing.
    When does your class start Todd?

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can actually agree with Trouble for these reasons.
    A. You can decide if this is for you before outplaying money.

B. Dealerships watch profitability closely they will make you keep a profitable pace. Plus (refer back to A)

C. You can take what you learn and refine your skills. Then decide if you want to get proper business training and skill training.

If its what you want..
    Expect 35 hr minimum physical work and another 20 administrative work to run and grow it.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Concours.John View Post
    I
    Expect 35 hr minimum physical work and another 20 administrative
    Was this during a holiday week John? 55 hour week I wouldn`t know what do with all my spare time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    This training looks good! Thanks for the tip

Thread Information