Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought a MF towel from Target, one of their Vroom brand products. I got it home and saw on the tag that its 80% polyester. I`ve read SO much on here that polyester threading can cause scratches so i was wondering if it is normal for a MF towel to be almost completely made of polyester. It seems very very soft and worked very well, dried the whole car without ringing it out once, but afterwards is when i saw the tag...any takes on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    as long as it performs with no problems (scratching, etc.), you should be fine. actually, alot of autopians use the vroom yellow drying towel, orange and gray mf towels without any issues...

Post Thanks / Like
    ok cool, just figured id ask. Like i said it worked really well especially for like $7 (i got the big yellow one), even did a pretty good job on all my windows too, only had a couple touch up spots

Post Thanks / Like
    i use the vroom brand...yellow for drying and orange for "dirty" duties (engine, doorjams, exhaust, etc.)

if you have a Sam`s in your area, check out their bulk packs of MF towels. the blue ones are excellent quality (much softer than the orange vroom) and are priced low. it`s a 20 or 25 pack for like $12 or something.
    2007 Lexus IS350 | Tungsten Pearl

2012 Honda Accord LX-S | Polished Metal Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually all microfibers are pretty much polyester, and some part polyamide. These aren`t the rough leisure suit polyseter of yore. and is very safe.

Post Thanks / Like
    So is 80/20 better or worst then 70/30? All of my premium mf`s are 70/30 polyester, polyamide. Is the polyester more absorbent than the polyamide? And which is softer? Ive often wondered so I guess this is a good time to ask the pro`s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Legacy99
    So is 80/20 better or worst then 70/30? .......
    Years ago I thought the 70/30 should be better but eventually discovered it was the quality of the fabric and construction that made the most difference.

Looking at the spreadsheet I have for my MF`s I see a lot of my favorites are 80/20, so I now worry more about the quality and construction of the MF more than the blend.

The following article also explains this:

Misconceptions & Common Questions
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    here`s a quote from someone who knows microfibers well...

IMHO...

It really doesn`t matter if you have a 70/30 or 80/20 blend towel. As long as it performs with no ill effects. I have seen 70/30 blend towels outperform 80/20 blend towels and vice versa. It all really depends on the quality of material (raw materials), weave, and finished goods process that determines how a towel performs. Other factors to consider are the dyes used, stitching, and edging on the towels.

With Aloha,

Ranney

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paradigm
    if you have a Sam`s in your area, check out their bulk packs of MF towels. the blue ones are excellent quality (much softer than the orange vroom) and are priced low. it`s a 20 or 25 pack for like $12 or something.

Costco also has a bulk of mf`s that work really well....there around the same price.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Ranney knows his stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep like others mentioned, the vroom line is safe and probably the best bang for your buck.

I would recommend taking the tags off before you use them.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah i usually take the tags off......i was kinda surprised, i bought wal-marts `bag of rags` and when i first opened it up they were all linty and just looked like hell really, i figured `well these are junk` ...but after going thru the washing machine they actually came out pretty damn nice, especially for so many for $5. i wouldnt use them on the PAINT...but for interior...or for rims...or windows or trim care i think they`re great personally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Ness

Looking at the spreadsheet I have for my MF`s I see a lot of my favorites are 80/20, so I now worry more about the quality and construction of the MF more than the blend.

any interesting points from that spreadsheet that you could share?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskate
    any interesting points from that spreadsheet that you could share?
    Probably just the blend stats of the various MF`s and WW MF`s. These are just the towels from trusted vendors like PakShak, Exceldetail, Autopia, Autogeek, SMP, Poorboy`s, Danase, Detailers Paradise, etc. and as I mentioned the blends vary from 70/30, 75/25, and 80/20. These are all good towels and I can`t find a performance difference based solely on blend ratios.
    John

Thread Information