Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally a comprehensive review of the best bulbs out there...

to light your garage. It`s been two months now of searching all sorts of boards, 10 plus trips to home depot and 2 failed attempts at lowes (Sorry guys they blow compared to home depot). Anyway`s Through the months I`ve been experimenting with all sorts of lighting, from heat lamps, halogens ,fluorescents to LEDS. After all this I have come to a couple of conclusions.

1. Natural light is always the best.
    2. Every light serves a purpose, they all do an important job. One is not better then the other. (This is not a debate, these are based on fact)
    3. To have the best setup you need a mix of light.
    4. You CAN make a nice lighting setup for under 500 without Drilling 1058460x holes, + you don`t need huge buzzing T8 fluorescents to mimic daylight.

From all the info I have found they all seem to point to fluorescents, thats fine and all but I didn`t feel like spending the time nor money to hang huge metal fixtures above the cars. Instead I looked into the best place to look for lighting, photography. The results were nothing short of awesome...

Here are the Four bulbs will be comparing + Threw in a stock 65 watt halogen just for fun.

On the far left is the Ecosmart Par 30 5000k rated at 1100 lumens.
    The close left is the Ecosmart Par 38 5000k rated at 1250 lumens.
    The close right is the Alzo 45 watt 5500k rated at 2800 lumens
    The far right is the Alzo 84 watt 5500k rated at 4250 lumens (Yes, you heard right)

Here`s a stock 65W (I`ll say 2700k, but honestly I`m not sure)

Here`s the Par 30 by eco smart - 1100 lumens... Extremely focused as these are actual single DIODE, not multi diode like most of the cheap floods.

Here it is in the bay running.

This is it on the test setup.

Shadow

If you go LED`s they are always focused even the so called wide angle. Led`s serve there purpose, that purpose is blasting swirls and deep defects. I apologize, I`ll try an get a clearer image of how crisp the LED`s really are even positioned 6+ ft away, it`s very impressive.

Next is the Par 38, 1250 lumens and just awesome "cutting" ability as far as light goes. Again one single diode is better then many small one`s. An LED light is mean`t for cutting just as a yellow pad is to polish.

Again lit up in the bay on the over head position, very handy when doing heavy corrective work on hoods. Having your hands free is the most important thing as a detailer. It`s honestly like having someone hold a sungun for you as your going.

Upclose, you can see how large the diode is. +The bulb shape acts as a heat sink. These bulbs give off almost no heat, which most of us dread! Cooler work environment = more productivity. They also use less juice to run.

All fired up.

Shadow

So the LED`s are great at what they do, now it`s time for the actual work light. First up is the Alzo 45 watt rated at 2800. Honestly this was my least favorite of the bunch. The results were ok and correctly placed they are effective.Here it is indoor`s, which is pretty effect as a daily use lamp.

Here it is on the setup.

Shadow

On the plus, they give off alot less heat and consume alot less juice. If you have housings for your bulbs these are just about the biggest you can go as the 85`s are just massive and need to hang.

Here`s the big boy of the bunch the Alzo 85 watt 5500k.

The shadow is just huge. With fluorescence`s size does matter and this definitely shows it.

Here`s all four on in the bay...

Here`s 3 shots of the bay lit.

First is just Led`s on, key for spotting imperfections. Sorry I accidentally took two shots and it merged an extra frame.

Next is the bay full lit, frontal.

Bay lit, Door access.

Hope this helps guys, I know how annoying it can be to find the right lighting setup.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finally a comprehensive review of the best bulbs out there...

Interesting study. Thanks for posting.

I am not sure I fully understand your light set up. In the last two pics, do you have both the CFL and the LED`s in your set up turned on?

I saw four lights around the garage door opening light (CF?) and also see four lights at the corners of the garage door track (2 at end look like LED, 2 near garage door must be CFL?).

When you took the pics, did you lock in the exposure (one aperture/shutter speed) for all shots so lighting is comparative?

I have 8 8 ft T12 lights and would need to swap out ballasts to run anything else but really just want more side illumination since fluorescent run parallel to garage door.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, when I have the cfl`s on I always run them inconjunction. The LEDs don`t really interfere with the cfl`s but the cfl`s do with the LEDs.

Your also correct the two in the back are cfl.

Exposure was locked only for test and shadow shots, everything else I adjusted as best as I could to actual reality. What you see in the shots is what I was seeing.

I would recommend looking into the alzo 85s as they cover everything,when placed right. If you have a garage opener you can fit them with the right bulb socket extensions. I`ll post a video as well.

The 85s are a little pricey but worth it.
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019HVHMS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=AISFWZQJ85MSG"]Amazon.com: Full Spectrum Light Bulb - ALZO 85 watt CFL 5500K - Case of 4 - daylight balanced pure white light - 4250 Lumens: Home Improvement[/ame]

Post Thanks / Like

Great info. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I would also like to see how you mounted them.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Sure not a problem, I`m going to take a video and walk around. I`m revamping the setup to have 6 more 85 watts, I`m removing the 3, 45 watt alzo`s.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to the video and thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

Great info, thanks for taking the time!! Can`t find the Ecosmart Par 38 5000k rated at 1250 lumens at Home Depot. Is that where you picked it up??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    Great info, thanks for taking the time!! Can`t find the Ecosmart Par 38 5000k rated at 1250 lumens at Home Depot. Is that where you picked it up??
    I can`t find it either, these are the two that I`m using on the sides.

EcoSmart 15-Watt (90W) Daylight (5000K) PAR30 LED Flood Light Bulb (E)* ECS 30 CW FL 120 at The Home Depot

Call your local home depot and ask them, use this as a reference and tell them you want the par 38 version of this.

Here`s two videos, One of my first setup, currently ordered an even more powerful 105w cfl. I`m curious to see as they are rated at 5000 and the cri rating is only 82. As a detailer you never want to go below 80 IMO. CRI is the color rating index in relation to the sun. If a rating is 82 that means the remaining 18% is not covered, meaning it won`t show certain colors. This is especially important for dealing with metallic paint. The alzo`s have a staggering 92 which is far beyond even film requirements.

Anyways the first video is the setup and the second is my par38 by ecosmart. God I love that light...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY1c1EDBevM"]Lighting setup - YouTube[/ame]

Ecosmart par 38 test
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=148wyEK12HA]Lighting setup v1 - YouTube[/ame]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting. I was wondering how you attached the lights to the garage rails. Do you leave these up permanently?

My primary issue has been the sides and less on the top plus I like to work with the garage door open when possible but that blocks the lights adjacent to the door entrance.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Thanks for posting. I was wondering how you attached the lights to the garage rails. Do you leave these up permanently?

My primary issue has been the sides and less on the top plus I like to work with the garage door open when possible but that blocks the lights adjacent to the door entrance.
    I can run the LED`s with the garage door open as well. They are fixed up there but can be moved by unscrewing a bolt. For the most part they stay up there, they don`t interfere with the cars because they are high enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting! Love to see more of the setup. Just wondering if you have any issue with the CFL`s going on or off? No issue with those CFL`s being near a vibration heavy garage opener? How much is the power consumption?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woob View Post
    Very interesting! Love to see more of the setup. Just wondering if you have any issue with the CFL`s going on or off? No issue with those CFL`s being near a vibration heavy garage opener? How much is the power consumption?
    Nope, no issue`s at all. So here are the specs for my final lighting setup, that I`m happy with, for now...

Ecosmart 5000k Par 30 15 Watt x2 (Right & Left) (1100 lumens x 2)
    Alzo 5500k 85 Watt CFL x 4 - Main overhead section (4800 lumens x 4)
    Eiko 5000k 105 Watt CFL x 4 - Main overhead section (6900 lumens x 4)
    Alzo 5500k 45 Watt CFL x 2 - Front mounted spotlight (2800 lumens x 2)
    Ecosmart 5000k Par 38 18 Watt x 1 - Free floating, mounted to where ever. (1250 lumens)

Total lumens output - 55,850 (Primary, 49,000 lumens) Projected lumens loss - 10% 49,000 - 4,900 = 44,100 lumens
    Total Wattage - 898 watts (Primary, I only use 790)

The eikos come with a 15 month warranty from 1000 bulbs, IMO definitely worth it.

Cost break down.

Ecosmart 5000k Par 30 15 Watt - 36.97 x 2
    EcoSmart 15-Watt (90W) Daylight (5000K) PAR30 LED Flood Light Bulb (E)* ECS 30 CW FL 120 at The Home Depot

Alzo 5500k 85 Watt CFL - 18.75 x 4
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Full-Spectrum-Light-Bulb-daylight/dp/B0019HVHMS/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1347544460&sr=1-2&keywords=alzo+85w]Amazon.com: Full Spectrum Light Bulb - ALZO 85 watt CFL 5500K - Case of 4 - daylight balanced pure white light - 4250 Lumens: Home Improvement[/ame]

Eiko 5000k 105 Watt CFL - 21.33 x 4 + 8.95 shipping - Make sure to change the seller to 1000 bulbs not the default.
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Eiko-81180-Spiral-Compact-Fluorescent/dp/B000IBS73I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347546048&sr=8-1&keywords=eiko+105w"]Amazon.com: Eiko 81180 - SP105/50/MED - 105 Watt 5000K Spiral Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb, Medium Base: Home Improvement[/ame]

Alzo 5500k 45 Watt CFL - 12.50 x 2
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/ALZO-Digital-Full-Spectrum-Light/dp/B00198U6U6]Amazon.com: ALZO Digital Full Spectrum Light Bulb - ALZO 45W Photo CFL 5500K 91 CRI, Daylight balanced, pure white light, 2800 Lumens, Case of 4: Home Improvement[/ame]

Ecosmart 5000k Par 38 18 Watt - I`m not sure if this is the right bulb listed below, it doesn`t show the kelvin.
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/EcoSmart-PAR38-18-Watt-Flood-Light/dp/B0085CPH6W/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1347546111&sr=1-2&keywords=ecosmart+par+38"]Amazon.com: EcoSmart PAR38 18-Watt (110W) LED Flood Light Bulb: Home Improvement[/ame]
    Have to find locally, Rare but worth it. It`s the best paint correction tool I`ve ever used.

I also used...

Bulb clamp x 5
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Designers-Edge-E-244-Incandescent-6-Foot/dp/B00076Q0FG/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1347546389&sr=1-4&keywords=bulb+clamp"]Amazon.com: Designers Edge E-244 Incandescent Clamp Light, 6-Foot Cord: Home Improvement[/ame]

Bulb socket splitter x 5
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-128-I-660-Watt-Light-Socket-Adapter/dp/B001ATG0JU/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1347545042&sr=1-1&keywords=bulb+socket+splitter]Leviton 128-I 15-Amp 660-Watt Twin Light-Socket Adapter,Ivory - Amazon.com[/ame]

extension cord, multi end x 5
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Axis-45502-Outlet-Indoor-Extension/dp/B0073AADTI/ref=sr_1_20?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1347545793&sr=1-20&keywords=extension+cord"]Axis 45502 3 Outlet White Indoor Extension Cord,6 Feet - Amazon.com[/ame]

3 prong outlet x 1
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-697-I-Triple-Outlet-Adapter/dp/B00002N7I2/ref=sr_1_22?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1347545128&sr=1-22&keywords=1+to+3+prong+outlet"]Amazon.com: Leviton 697-I 15 Amp, 125 Volt, Triple Outlet Adapter, Ivory: Home Improvement[/ame]

Wireless switch x1 = Awesome
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/AmerTac-RFK100LC-Mounted-Switch-Receiver/dp/B000HJBE68/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1347545708&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=wall+mount+switch+westek]Amazon.com: AmerTac RFK100LC Wall Mounted Switch and Plug-in Receiver: Home Improvement[/ame]

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s pictures of the final setup, with a vid.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpe7evAS3pk]Lighting setup V2 - YouTube[/ame]

Main overhead

Just clearing, wireless remote with 3 prong.

switch mounted

Lighting in garage naturally... Car is fully polished btw. This was my most recent detail.

9am

11:30pm at night

Single stage = scary

Post Thanks / Like

Ecosmart 5000k Par 38 18 Watt - Would this be the 1 lightbulb to use over all the others? I`m wondering if I can just throw a new bulb into an old photographer`s light to use. Does it fit a standard socket?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information