Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finally a comprehensive review of the best bulbs out there...

nice comparasion...the garage looks like it has stadium lights..
    Lexus Rx300

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woob View Post
    Ecosmart 5000k Par 38 18 Watt - Would this be the 1 lightbulb to use over all the others? I`m wondering if I can just throw a new bulb into an old photographer`s light to use. Does it fit a standard socket?
    Yes, they all fit standard size bulb sockets, however if the socket is recessed you will probably need a bulb socket extension.

Post Thanks / Like

Went to HD to pick up the Par 38 90W 5000K LED bulb (EcoSmart in the blue box) and they no longer carry it in the stores in my area, however, they had the Par 38 110W LED bulb shown in the link to Amazon in an earlier post. It is in a silver box, 110W, also 5000K and it was on sale for $27. Seems to work as well at defining swirls and rids as the 90W. Tried it using the clamp fixture, but found it to be a PIA to position around the garage so found a photographic light stand and socket that is reasonably priced.

This is at it`s lowest setting.

The opening to the left of the stand is 7"11"

When extended to this full heigth it is a little top heavy so I think I`ll put a couple of sand bags over the base supports when using it. Folds up nicely into a small foot print for storage.

Found them here:::: Best Seller! Juliusstudio.com ::: Top Quality Aluminum Alloy Adjustable Light Stand

::: Best Seller! Juliusstudio.com ::: High Quality AC Swivel Adapter, Light Socket - Accessories - Continuous Lighting

The light socket is very adjustable which will make it easy to aim the light where needed.

Prices include shipping. They also have a light socket that will hold 2 bulbs, but you`d need to get their heavy duty light stand as this one will only support 5 lbs. The LED bulbs are 1.5 lbs plus the weight of the socket and this is already a little tippy.

Thanks to the Driver`s work I now have plenty of light when detailing--clamp a few 500K CFLs around the garage and use this set up for defining swirls and rids without investing in expensive electrical work.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thank you for the information in this thread. I now have a more efficient way to add better light to my garage fairly easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool info. I have the Par30 HD Ecosmart bulb as my main finder, only problem is it shows SO MUCH that it beats the sun. Under certain condition it doesnt show hologramming/micromarring, I just run the car under the sun.

And yes, with the right LED/CFL setup you have no need to rewire a garage for T8s, etc. Bulb + stand will get you great results.

ski2, how is the weight/stability of those stands? Price is great.

Post Thanks / Like

ski2, how is the weight/stability of those stands? Price is great.
    The stand has a maximum capacity of 5 lbs. The bulb weighs 1.5 lbs and the socket weighs under a pound. With the stand extended to it`s maximum it is stable, but top heavy--I feel if I were to bump it while detailing it might fall over ( and I don`t want to shatter a $30 LED) so I plan to put a couple of light weight sand bags over the cross bars of the legs when in use. Julius Studios has other stands that support more weight and Cowboy Studios also has at least one stand that I know of that supports 10 lbs.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you have better luck with the large CFL bulbs then I have.
    Like you I decided that all kinds were best I use 8000 watts total but the CFL light that is the equivalent of 300 watts don`t last more than a week.

I have tried several brands and all were junk, Still looking for a quality high output CFL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by black bart View Post
    I hope you have better luck with the large CFL bulbs then I have.
    Like you I decided that all kinds were best I use 8000 watts total but the CFL light that is the equivalent of 300 watts don`t last more than a week.

I have tried several brands and all were junk, Still looking for a quality high output CFL
    Get the Alzo`s or the Enko`s, the rest are garbage.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Great information. Thanks for the lighting review. Time well spent.

Post Thanks / Like

That is one sweet setup. I can`t wait to have my own garage with room to actually work in there with the car in it.
    Best In Show Mobile Auto Detailing

Don
    Owner/ Operator

Post Thanks / Like

Cool info. I have the Par30 HD Ecosmart bulb as my main finder, only problem is it shows SO MUCH that it beats the sun. Under certain condition it doesnt show hologramming/micromarring, I just run the car under the sun.
    agreed. on certain paints it really does beat the power of the sun. the garage is my best friend and my worst enemy because it shows everything

not too much trouble with see nasty holograms in my experience. light ones may need to pull it outside like you said

whoever mentioned they dont carry those exact LED bulbs at home depot anymore - I found the same recently. However, Lowes carries a different brand that is basically the same bulb. Par38 single diode daylight spectrum. same price roughly also

great thread. I took some ideas from it for my garage. and I linked back to this thread on my garage writeup on autogeek I just did. gotta give the OP credit
    Bryan
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com
    Instagram @MrSparkleDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I really need to add some more overhead lighting in my garage. I have 4 36 inch? florecents above the car but the garage is pretty big and needs some more light directly overhead. May invest in some of these LEDs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gurge View Post
    agreed. on certain paints it really does beat the power of the sun. the garage is my best friend and my worst enemy because it shows everything

not too much trouble with see nasty holograms in my experience. light ones may need to pull it outside like you said

whoever mentioned they dont carry those exact LED bulbs at home depot anymore - I found the same recently. However, Lowes carries a different brand that is basically the same bulb. Par38 single diode daylight spectrum. same price roughly also

great thread. I took some ideas from it for my garage. and I linked back to this thread on my garage writeup on autogeek I just did. gotta give the OP credit
    Bryan,

Its the fine micro for me of course, just need to tweak the setup. The power, lightness, and performance are awesome! I will warn everyone that the Par38/30s are spotlight based lights, so CFLs are a good bet as well.

Btw, what is the brand name of the LED you found?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Get the Alzo`s or the Enko`s, the rest are garbage.
    Thanks for the tip I took delivery on some of the Eiko 5000K 105 watt CFL bulbs wednesday they are more than 400 watts compared to incandesant bulbs.
    I tried the eco smart and other cheap ones sold at the big box stores and they are junk waste of $$$$$$$$$

Since my other hobby is photography I mounted these in the clamp type brooder lights that way I can move them easy and use them for indoor photography at 5000K they are perfect for digital cameras.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by black bart View Post
    Thanks for the tip I took delivery on some of the Eiko 5000K 105 watt CFL bulbs wednesday they are more than 400 watts compared to incandesant bulbs.
    I tried the eco smart and other cheap ones sold at the big box stores and they are junk waste of $$$$$$$$$

Since my other hobby is photography I mounted these in the clamp type brooder lights that way I can move them easy and use them for indoor photography at 5000K they are perfect for digital cameras.

I`ve done the same, they work wonders for indoor photography. They wikis come with a warranty as well, make sure you save the box for atleast 1.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information