Post Thanks / Like

Gnats in the Garage Ruining yr Detailing?

So, since the weather got a bit nicer, I have noticed gnats all around the windows in my garage. Not only is it annoying - and gross - but, they die and land all over my floor, my detailing products, and my car.

Up until yesterday, I had no idea what a "gnat" was. Like most people - I thought it was a baby fly - it`s not. It`s just an annoying little creature sent here to torture me. Apparently a "gnat" and a fruit fly are similar or the same.

Yesterday morning was the worse. I went out to the garage to dress my tires and there were literally hundreds of alive and hundreds of dead gnats all over my windows. Dead ones all over the floor and the car.

Didn`t know what else to do - so I just vacuumed all the live and dead ones up using the vacuum attachment. A few mins later - more gnats.

So, did some research and found two products specifically made for this problem.

One is from Ortho:

One is from Terro:

The Ortho one are these little stickers you put on your window that contain acetamiprid (an insecticide) and something to attract the gnats. Gnats eats some attractant on the sticker, get the insecticide - and 60 seconds later they are dead. Sticker keeps killing up to 7 mos.

The Terro thing is a little plastic apple that contains vinegar and some soap components. It`s supposed to attract the gnats and kill them as well. Trap lasts 30 days.

Well, I already knew which would one actually work. Vinegar & soap vrs neurotoxin/poison ....Hmmm....

Gnats in the Garage Ruining yr Detailing?Gnats in the Garage Ruining yr Detailing?Gnats in the Garage Ruining yr Detailing?Came out this morning to gnat genocide. Gnats in the Garage Ruining yr Detailing?Gnats in the Garage Ruining yr Detailing?Gnats in the Garage Ruining yr Detailing?

....Not a single living living gnat in the room. Yesterday there were hundreds (maybe thousands). I started to notice tons of gnats dying yesterday within 5 mins of putting the Ortho stickers up.

Dead gnats:

Ortho sticker & dead gnats:

So, if gnats are ruining your garage detailing - I`d check out this product from Ortho. Each sticker is said to do 1000 sq ft - but if the gnats are bad - they recommend using one on each window.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Likes The Driver, mnehls86 liked this post
    Thanks The Driver thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gnats in the Garage Ruining yr Detailing?

Wow what a great product. We get them around the bananas every year, so we stop buying bananas eventually for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

wow thats a ton of them. at least you dont have mosquitoes to worry about

Post Thanks / Like

Fill a bowl full of soapy water. Best gnat/fruit fly trap ever.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Post Thanks / Like

We had a gnat problem in the house a few years back and I used this from the internet. Some water, vinegar and a few drops of dish washing soap. Tin foil with holes poked in it with a rubber band holding it to the pickle jar. The gnats love the vinegar smell go into the jar and can not get back out, go down to feast on the vinegar and get stuck with the dish soap. Same type of recipe for fruit flies only apple cider vinegar is used.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Another product is an ointment for open sores on horses. Flies and mosquitoes don`t like it at all. Just open the jar and let it sit. They`ll get out of Dodge.
    Only thing is. You don`t want to get it on you. If on you and you sweat. It will absorb into your skin. Will lead to something like kidney or liver failure.

Thread Information