Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scissor Lift

Post Thanks / Like

Scissor Lift

I am debating pulling the trigger on a Bendpak MD-6XP (FREE SHIPPING ) in the next couple of weeks. I think it would be a good investment not only for detailing, but also anything mechanical I would like to do. I don`t really have the expertise to work on transmissions so if I can`t, it is no big deal. Just curious if any of you have experience with them and what you like/dislike.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Likes The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scissor Lift

Quote Originally Posted by XxBoostinxX View Post
    I am debating pulling the trigger on a Bendpak MD-6XP (FREE SHIPPING ) in the next couple of weeks. I think it would be a good investment not only for detailing, but also anything mechanical I would like to do. I don`t really have the expertise to work on transmissions so if I can`t, it is no big deal. Just curious if any of you have experience with them and what you like/dislike.
    I like them a lot, for detailing only though. Exhaust an trans work it`s almost impossible. My friend has one an it`s VERY portable as far as moving around the garage. If you detail a ton it`s worth it but for actual mechanic internal work you need at least a 2 post fixed lift. I FIRMLY plan on picking one up when the time comes. If you want a video, I`ll take one next time I`m working with it.
    Likes XxBoostinxX, mnehls86, Ronkh liked this post
    Thanks XxBoostinxX thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    I like them a lot, for detailing only though. Exhaust an trans work it`s almost impossible. My friend has one an it`s VERY portable as far as moving around the garage. If you detail a ton it`s worth it but for actual mechanic internal work you need at least a 2 post fixed lift. I FIRMLY plan on picking one up when the time comes. If you want a video, I`ll take one next time I`m working with it.
    Which one is it that he has? Would love a video if you don`t mind. I rather have a two post, but in my garage it just isn`t possible.

I am detailing a lot more lately and the more I do it the more I hate sitting on the floor. Plus getting up and down when I need something, it is just taking a toll on me.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a benpak lift that breaks down into three pieces. Its their quick jack and love it. Its not one that you can drive on, you park the car and then slide the jacks under the jack points and place blocks to lift. I really like it and the cars I have are all low clearance and works well with the smaller blocks. Lifts it about 18" and is clear in the middle so you can work on exhausts etc. I havent detailed with it yet - but thats the plan soon. Just make sure you go with the larger option. There is one with a 3000 limit and a 5000 limit
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Which one is it that he has? Would love a video if you don`t mind. I rather have a two post, but in my garage it just isn`t possible.

I am detailing a lot more lately and the more I do it the more I hate sitting on the floor. Plus getting up and down when I need something, it is just taking a toll on me.
    I`ll have to double check but I`m pretty sure it`s the exact one you posted. I know it`s a good brand and not some cheapo chinese knock off. I definitely know where your coming from with the lower body work. I hate rockers and low bumpers, I bought race ramps for that exact reason. It`s worth pulling the car up 10 inches then bending over for sure.
    Likes XxBoostinxX liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Buying a lift was by far the best investment I`ve made for my biz.

There are several companies that make a scissor lifts like the Bendpak MD-6XP, all have the same basic from structure but will vary a bit with some fittings, hydraulics, ect. I`d say the Bendpak is probably the nicer of the bunch but it, along with my Direct-Lift and most the others will not be able to lift wide cars like the Tesla Model S. The arms that extend out are too short. However, Titan makes the same style lift and actually has longer arms available for purchase. I spoke to Direct-Lift about it and they have no plans to make longer arms and Jeff McGovern spoke to Bendpak about it and they said structurally, longer arms were not possible, which I`m guessing is more an issue as you creep towards the 6000lbs weight limit. Either way the Titan is what I`d probably go with if I were to buy a unit like this again.

I recently sold my Direct-Lift to my friend who`s garage I currently work out of and purchased a Bendpak SP-7X for my new garage. This will be flush mounted into the floor, has an open center which allows for more mechanical work, and it`s also a full rise lift. Down side with this style is cost and the ramps stick out from the side of the car a little, unlike the MD-6XP style which is full under the car. This could make polishing rockers a little more difficult, but shouldn`t really be an issue. I`d suggest looking at a few styles and determine what`s best for you. I will say driving on the ramps for clearance gets old and would suggest flush mounting regardless of which style you go with.

Direct-Lift

New BendPak wiating
    Thanks XxBoostinxX, Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used a mid rise lift for a few years now and don`t know how I did without it for so long!

i highly recommend a lift to anyone who has the space to put it!
    Its a body saver to say the least!
    I can lift 6000lbs of car or truck with no issues.
    The only car that it won`t lift is a Tesla due to the lift points being so far outward of the car due to the battery pack under the car
    Robert DiTerlizzi
    Impressions fine automotive detailing
    7782 SW Jack James Dr
    Stuart, Fl. 34997
    772-260-6636
    Making Martin County shine - one car at a time

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick note for those who can`t invest in the scissor lifts but want excellent stands that work with Teslas (and many others!) see my post in the Tesla forum and my video of Jackpoint Jackstands.

https://youtu.be/wZiHBSEjWX8

Where to put jack stands on Model S? - Page 6

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | 2015 Toyota Highlander

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    Just a quick note for those who can`t invest in the scissor lifts but want excellent stands that work with Teslas (and many others!) see my post in the Tesla forum and my video of Jackpoint Jackstands.

https://youtu.be/wZiHBSEjWX8

Where to put jack stands on Model S? - Page 6

$300 for a pair of jack stands is pretty steep, but these look pretty awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Expensive yes. But, kind of a mom and pop shop and they are very sturdy.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | 2015 Toyota Highlander

Post Thanks / Like

Love that they found a manufacturer in the u.s. to make them.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it looks like the scissor lift is getting put on hold. My dog tore her ACL and has to have surgery.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it looks like the scissor lift is getting put on hold. My dog tore her ACL and has to have surgery.
    Sorry to hear. I hope it is a dog that will relax and recover. My lab is so obsessed with her ball that she would chase it until she dropped dead if I let her and I think she would still try injured/recovering haha.
    Likes XxBoostinxX liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch. Been there. My golden retriever tore one and then almost exactly a year later tore the other one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mnehls86 View Post
    Sorry to hear. I hope it is a dog that will relax and recover. My lab is so obsessed with her ball that she would chase it until she dropped dead if I let her and I think she would still try injured/recovering haha.
    Thanks! It is what it is. Part of her problem is she gets so excited and goes from 0-100 in a blink of an eye.

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    Ouch. Been there. My golden retriever tore one and then almost exactly a year later tore the other one.
    I have heard of that happening. A friends lab did the same thing. Recovered from one and then tore the other. I hope this doesn`t happen with her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information