Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RUPES Repair

Post Thanks / Like

Re: RUPES Repair

The throw on these is the same as on the name brands. 21mm is roughly .75” Rupes, Griots are the same on their long throw.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes bad penny liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bad penny View Post
    You can buy the 2 year extended warranty for less then $20.
    I was not aware it was mm -vs- inch (how much difference is that?). Regardless, I`ve been curious about this machine since its release. Not being able to have my RUPES repaired makes it easier to justify purchasing the harbor freight.
    Or just buy the Griot`s polisher and enjoy a lifetime warranty.
    Likes Stokdgs, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The way I`m reading it every repair must show proof.
    I know that`s how it READS, I contend that`s not what they MEAN. Why don`t you contact them? At one time they were pretty proactive here on the forum, between Todd and Dylan...unless I`m thinking of AGO.

You can buy the 2 year extended warranty for less then $20.
    I was not aware it was mm -vs- inch (how much difference is that?). Regardless, I`ve been curious about this machine since its release. Not being able to have my RUPES repaired makes it easier to justify purchasing the harbor freight.
    There are 25.4 mm in an inch...so a pretty big difference.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Browsing around on Rupes USA site, I have noticed a Parts Support Page, with their different models, and exploded diagrams of each with all parts numbered.

With a tool that`s out of warrantee, and one who might be handy, or have a friend who`s handy, you then might be able to initiate a self-repair at a savings.

With knowledge of symptoms prior to failure, it might not be that hard to take an educated guess as to what part likely failed.

If it was myself in such a situation, this would be the route I`d be trying to take initially.

Let`s just for say you guess wrong the first time out, buy a part that did not fix the tool. Well, what you have then is a spare part that might be needed down the road at some point is one way to look at it.

I would suspect a unit that doesn`t have that many hours on it would not be likely having a total Motor failure-burnout, more likely a controller board, switch, brushes, something more minor, and also lesser in cost to fix.

Bottom line, a machine-tool that does not work is worth $0.

I`m sure Rupes, and the people who work for them are not so tight lipped, and difficult to work with, that they would be reluctant to assist a customer trying to troubleshoot their out of warrantee tool with the purchase of a part(s).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
    I`m sure Rupes, and the people who work for them are not so tight lipped, and difficult to work with, that they would be reluctant to assist a customer trying to troubleshoot their out of warrantee tool with the purchase of a part(s).
    I`ve been let down a few times by that thought. Hell check out Louis Rossmann`s Youtube channel. More and more you`ve got manufactures purposely hindering the ability to repair their products.

How enraging was your story on the amplifier. I bet that dealer had it on the shelf merely for his customers to gawk at and wish they could one day afford it. I can`t run away from a company fast enough that puts up resistance to money being handed to them.

Like companies that want you to fill out paperwork and wait for approval to purchase something. Nope, I`ll go shop elsewhere. Gladly the Internet shopping has killed off most of that nonsense.

Post Thanks / Like

If not comfortable DIYing it, I`d look for a local power-tool repair shop. I wouldn`t expect a [specific brand of Polisher] to be so, uhm...special...that a guy who fixes such stuff every day can`t work on it.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gorram View Post
    I`ve been let down a few times by that thought. Hell check out Louis Rossmann`s Youtube channel. More and more you`ve got manufactures purposely hindering the ability to repair their products.

How enraging was your story on the amplifier. I bet that dealer had it on the shelf merely for his customers to gawk at and wish they could one day afford it. I can`t run away from a company fast enough that puts up resistance to money being handed to them.

Like companies that want you to fill out paperwork and wait for approval to purchase something. Nope, I`ll go shop elsewhere. Gladly the Internet shopping has killed off most of that nonsense.
    I wasn`t at all enraged about the McIntosh Amplifier, as I was disappointed, it`s not the Dealers but McIntosh themselves who control their Dealer Network.

I understood clearly that I wasn`t asking to buy, then have them ship, this they will not do. I clearly explained that I`d be there in person with money in hand. I gave them my name, number, location.

I was well aware that commonly, McIntosh products do sell at MSRP. I surely could`ve figured out NM State Tax tacked onto $8500 and had the bank cheque made out to the dealership.

The salesman did tell me there`d be a little "wiggle room", but would not say how much? I pretty much explained the rest of the situation in my previous post

The Bryston 7BBSST2 Amps I bought weren`t exactly pocket change either, MSRP for the pair of 600 watt Monoblock Amps was $10,000, but the dealer saved me $2,000 and they were shipped free by Fed-Ex from their USA main distributorship originating first from Alberta, CA. Yes, I bought them sight unseen-sound unheard, but no problems, they arrived in fine shape, and they are quite impressive, clean, dead quiet, and quite powerful Amps.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
    I was so much enraged about the McIntosh Amplifier, as I was disappointed, it`s not the Dealers but McIntosh themselves who control their Dealer Network.

I understood clearly that I wasn`t asking to buy, then have them ship, this they will not do. I clearly explained that I`d be there in person with money in hand. I gave them my name, number, location.

I was well aware that commonly, McIntosh products do sell at MSRP. I surely could`ve figured out NM State Tax tacked onto $8500 and had the bank cheque made out to the dealership.

The salesman did tell me there`d be a little "wiggle room", but would not say how much? I pretty much explained the rest of the situation in my previous post

The Bryston 7BBSST2 Amps I bought weren`t exactly pocket change either, MSRP for the pair of 600 watt Monoblock Amps was $10,000, but the dealer saved me $2,000 and they were shipped free by Fed-Ex from their USA main distributorship originating first from Alberta, CA. Yes, I bought them sight unseen-sound unheard, but no problems, they arrived in fine shape, and they are quite impressive, clean, dead quiet, and quite powerful Amps.
    Thank you for sharing. I was thinking of replacing my 15 year old Rotels with McIntosh, I`ve always loved the looks and performance of their amps, but if their CS sucks it is not worth it.

I had one issue with my Rotels in 15 years of ownership and it was a painless process.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    The throw on these is the same as on the name brands. 21mm is roughly .75” Rupes, Griots are the same on their long throw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I know that`s how it READS, I contend that`s not what they MEAN. Why don`t you contact them? At one time they were pretty proactive here on the forum, between Todd and Dylan...unless I`m thinking of AGO.

There are 25.4 mm in an inch...so a pretty big difference.

Guys. RUPES 21 = 21 mm, not 21 inches. The machines are the same footprint.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys. RUPES 21 = 21 mm, not 21 inches. The machines are the same footprint.
    You do know that’s what we’ve been saying?
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

According to harbor freight they measure in mm just like RUPES. What am I missing besides 1mm (21vs20)?
    Here is a description of the tool from their website:

The Bauer™ 6 in. 7.5 Amp Dual Action Random Orbit Polisher combines a six-speed dial with electronic speed control to deliver constant speed and power, even under load. 3X orbit diameter* produces an ultra-smooth, swirl-free finish. Lightweight, ergonomic design makes this polisher easy to maneuver in all positions. Includes a flexible backing pad with hook and loop backing to hold 6 in. foam polishing pads.

Electronic speed controller provides constant speed control to automatically apply power to the motor when under load
    High-performance 7.5A motor with soft start for smooth start-ups and long gear life
    Six speed dial with trigger lock-on for precise speed control
    Ergonomic rubberized front handle designed for comfort and precise control
    Replaceable brushes for extended tool life
    20mm orbit diameter delivers swirl-free finish
    Trigger grip handle provides better control, reach and leverage
    All-metal gear construction for long life and durability

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think you’re missing anything. It’s just that in one of your previous posts you erroneously mentioned a 21” throw and it was mentioned that it’s really only a 21 mm throw. I wouldn’t be surprised to see HF’s also be a 21 mm throw even if they advertise differently.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Spoke with RUPES today. No receipt is necessary unless the claim/repair is under warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

Spoke with RUPES today. No receipt is necessary unless the claim/repair is under warranty.
    Ah, that`s good to hear! Doesn`t really surprise me, but I`d wondered...if/when I sell my LHR75 that could factor into somebody`s decision to buy/not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Ah, that`s good to hear! Doesn`t really surprise me, but I`d wondered...if/when I sell my LHR75 that could factor into somebody`s decision to buy/not.
    Yep. A typographical error on their part. Hopefully this will answer someone else`s question in the future. Going to box this up and ship out soon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information