Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rotary lessons needed

I’ve been thinking about buying a rotary polisher for years. I’m proficient on my Rupes da polishers so now I want to learn the rotary side of the game. I read Mike Phillips review of the new Rupes LHR 19e and he said it was light weight it got my attention. As I get older light weight is what I look for in a polisher.

I saw this one on eBay and I shot them a bid and surprisingly won. It was cheaper than me using my gift certificates, as I previously had planned and it also came with a couple of free pads.

I want to learn how to burnish or jewel my paint. This polisher goes down to 400rpm, which I assume would be a good speed to jewel. Truthfully I don’t know but I’m willing to learn.

I’m hoping you good members of Autopia will point me in the right direction for pads, polishes, and techniques to get the most out of this machine. It came with a 5 inch backing plate for reference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM, Loach liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rotary lessons needed

If you are learning a rotary, you will want to use a side handle. I have using one since 1980, and i would not use one without the grip and control of the side handle.They are not a toy!
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjb89 View Post
    If you are learning a rotary, you will want to use a side handle. I have using one since 1980, and i would not use one without the grip and control of the side handle.They are not a toy!
    This one has what I think is called a D-bar handle. I stayed away from rotaries for a long time because I was never going to use a huge pad and speed buff a car. I hoping the light weight and slow rotation will keep me going longer. I’ve got some learning to do. I’m wondering if the new Rupes polishes and pads for their forced rotation polisher would be good with the rotary? I didn’t want to go with the forced rotation machine. With the new polishes and pads I can cut fast enough, I really want to finish better.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe not so much of help since I have only read up on the information out there. I don`t know if 3M has the Ultra Fina Polishing pad in 125mm/5" and then combo that with the 3M Perfect it 3000 Ultra Fina Polish which is a rotary finish and jeweling polish. Be aware that it`s a high speed rotary buffing and you go easier with the pressure as you finishing. I would think that the Rupes white foam pads for rotary polisher would suit as a jeweling pad. Maybe Rupes white foam pad and Scholl S40. Scholl has a finishing pad SOFTouch Finishing Pad. The problem with that pad is it`s so fine cut that it`s not recommended to use S40 with it but S30. You are not going to get any results with S40 and ST Finishing Pad LOL. And if you want great pads I would test out the Scholl Spiderpads. The white spiderpad combo with S3xxl is their version of Menzerna HC400. And I have used it with a longthrow polisher and was very satisfied with the and finishing ability. Must mention about the new Scholl Shock2cut which have the same finishing ability as S3 Gold XXL but cuts way more. Sorry for the compound derail LOL. If you go with the S40 you could get the Honey Spiderpad which is the finishing pad. Honey Spiderpad combo with S20 Black SS is an awesome one step compound on soft paints.

Man know I want even more to buy the LH19E rotary polisher LOL. Maybe you can help me out when you have tested it out. I have nervedamage in the neck which gives me problems with vibrations and if it`s working you muscles a lot. And with not being able to test out both the Rupes longthrows and rotary. In which of them is easiest on the muscles and vibrations. It would mean a lot to hear your thoughts about it.

Fun to try out new polisher and with a new rotary technique!

/ Tony
    Likes Dr Oldz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

See what works for *you*. Noting that I`ll never touch my rotaries again except maybe to sell `em, I prefer to *not* use a handle, rather resting my hand on the top of the unit`s housing.

Watch that you don`t instill holograms during the burnishing, taking you back to square-one and wasting clearcoat in the process.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Practice Practice Practice is what I would say to you. Go to a junk yard or body shop and get a few hoods & maybe some fenders to work on and get the feel of the machine before you touch someones car. I myself had burn some paint back when I was learning very early 70`s ( monster rotaries ) that look like something from Men in Black, but I got the hang of it and still till this day I use one. With many companies that make great products ( Compounds/Polishes/ Pads / Backing Plates ) you can find the right combo that will work perfectly for you.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Old Pirate- Heh heh, I started out with a Milwaukee back in `78, they *were* a lot different from the little things being sold today! I *did* use the handle on those things.

Maybe I`m just weird (heh heh, I mean about this too..), but I`ve *never* burned paint with a rotary. Never on purpose, never by accident..just one of those things I guess, so I dunno if that`s something others need to watch out for or not.

I just don`t see the "why?" of it, but hey..that`s just me.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was sucker into it by a body shop that was teaching me on how to use it and burn a spot on a Buick. Lucky the car was going to be repainted. I freak out from it and everyone was laughing their butts off. Boy do I remember that shiny heavy Milwaukee machine.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!
    Likes SWETM, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Old Pirate- My experience was similar; I moved from the Body Shop to New Car Prep and that`s where I encountered the Milwaukee. Rotary work was a lot easier back in the day with everything being ss, even I could finish out OK on that stuff.

And yeah..those Milwaukees did make a real impression, at least on our younger selves, huh? A "real machine!" that obviously commanded respect (maybe that`s why I didn`t burn anything, I was kinda treating it like a chainsaw..."this can bite you".. and I sure couldn`t damage new cars).
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    See what works for *you*. Noting that I`ll never touch my rotaries again except maybe to sell `em, I prefer to *not* use a handle, rather resting my hand on the top of the unit`s housing.

Watch that you don`t instill holograms during the burnishing, taking you back to square-one and wasting clearcoat in the process.
    This is my number one worry!

Post Thanks / Like

RUPES LH 19E Rotary Polisher w/ Jason Rose | DETAILS WITH LEVI - YouTube

For those that are interested about the 19e. It’s lighter than the 15 but not feather light. I need to buy some new pads a polishes now. I wonder if the Rupes blue rotary pad is made of the same material as the da pads? The polishes are supposed to have more lubrication. Lots to learn. Looks like an easy way to prime pads, may take some experimenting on vertical panels.
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Thanks SWETM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Some scrap panels from the junkyard would be really good to have. I still have mine in my garage attic.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

rlmccarty2000- I don`t want to keep piling on with my, uhm...perspective...on this, but I sure hope that you perceive benefits that justify the investment (especially your time/effort).

Post Thanks / Like

Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Stokdgs, Wing Commander liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

First of all I love rotary polishing. Most people that shy away from it are afraid to use a rotary or haven’t got a hold of this machine or a Flex PE 14. The machine you got is awesome. Nothing beats the correction speed of a rotary!!

I have one and love it. It is an easy machine to learn on for sure.

I would suggest to start out, using it as you compound/cutting step on the lowest setting(450rpm) with that included backing plate and 5.5 inch pads. Use it in larger panels and get a feel for the machine that way. Follow up compounding with a DA because you will leave holograms from the rotary step. As far as pads use some 5.5 inch ones you have. I like flat pads. Compounds....again most work well. I have been using 110 and CutMax lately with great success. Start there and don’t overthink it too much. Time behind the machine is the best experience. I can go on and on with a list of rotary tips but this should get you started.

Hope that helps for now!!
    Likes VitreousHumor liked this post
    Thanks rlmccarty2000, VitreousHumor thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information