Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes LH19e Review

So I had a chance to get to use this tool a few times and would like to give my thoughts on it!

First off, Whats in the box? You get the polisher, a loop handle and a 5 inch backing plate.

Now lets be honest here, the rotary polisher is certainly not a new tool and as far as the action.....it spins......simply put.

When you grab this tool, the first thing you notice is the 30 foot cord.......Ugghhh not my thing. I know some guys like the long cords. I personally do not and wish there was an option for different sizes like some other brand polishers offer. But not a deal breaker by any means.

Now the tool itself is extremely light. I mean like 3/4 of a pound(give or take) lighter than the Flex 14-2.

I prefer a stick handle which unfortunately did not come in the package. Thankfully I have the Rupes one it is on it`s way. So I attached the loop handle to give it a try. This isn`t a crappy loop handle. The handle has an amazing feel and is by far the nicest on the market. You can angle it to your preference and secure it with included bolts.

The ergonomics of this polisher are fantastic. Everything just flows and it is well thought out. If you prefer no stick handle or loop, the head of the polisher has a nice rubber coated area for you to hold on to. The speed control is great and you can feel the positive clicks as you adjust from speed to speed. There are the rubber bumpers that everyone likes from Rupes so you can set the polisher down while not in use.

The trigger on this rotary is simply amazing. It feels great when squeezing it. It has a rubber coated pad that allows you to grip with ease and provide anti slip operation. The progressive feature is awesome. You can feather this polisher down to about 20 RPM`s if you really wanted to. To me that is such a huge benefit. When working is delicate areas or on edges, I like to really take it easy and this trigger allows for that. The trigger also allows you to keep the speed way low when spreading product or if you are just learning how to pick up a bead of product.

The RPM range is listed as 450-1700 with the trigger lock on. To me this is the perfect range for automotive detailing work. I would never go higher than that and the 450 is lower than most other polishers allowing you to jewel at that speed if you so desire.

Even tho this is a small polisher, it has plenty of power. I was using a 7.5 inch pad and had no issues with power or slowing....and I tried to slow it down.

When running at low speeds for extended periods of time, it is still very cool. Rupes nailed the air flow down really well I feel!

It is so compact and agile that it is great for precision work with smaller pads!

Operation is really smooth and unlike other polishers, there is no gear chatter. It is quiet altho I need to direct compare to other polishers like the Flex 14-2.

So as of right now I feel this is a fantastic rotary for detailing that I would recommend to both pros and beginners. It has quickly became my favorite. My only 2 complaint is the longer cord which I will most likely cut and I wish it included the stick handle.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes LH19e Review

As much as I like the feel of the Flex PE-14, your review makes me think this is just a hair better.

Thanks for the review
    Thanks Dr Oldz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m still on the fence about getting one of these as I love my PF14. I agree with you on the long cord too and don`t understand the desire of some to have this. IMO I would much rather have a short cord with a quick connect like the old Milwaukee rotary had so I can easily put the tool in my tool box when I`m done.
    Likes Dr Oldz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I`m still on the fence about getting one of these as I love my PF14. I agree with you on the long cord too and don`t understand the desire of some to have this. IMO I would much rather have a short cord with a quick connect like the old Milwaukee rotary had so I can easily put the tool in my tool box when I`m done.
    I guess I`m in the minority as I like the longer cords. They let you use the polisher without any extension cords in most situations, especially in a home garage, which is convenient.

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the honest review. I’ve been thinking about a rotary for quite some time now and since I’m a big Rupes fan I just may grab this one. You can never have too many quality tools. I hear Rupes is making special pads and polish for the rotary too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I appreciate the honest review. I’ve been thinking about a rotary for quite some time now and since I’m a big Rupes fan I just may grab this one. You can never have too many quality tools. I hear Rupes is making special pads and polish for the rotary too.
    I haven’t got a hold of the pads of polishes yet. This is the one Rupes tool that I feel the system approach is kind of mute. So many pads and polishes out there that work well with a rotary. Perhaps for a beginner they will be useful. I Have my own technique and products that work for me thru years of trial and error. So I will try new things but won’t stray from what works for me.
    Likes JustJesus, RaydiantDetail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I would rather wrap up one quality extension cord at the end of the day compared to wrapping up multiple tools with long cords. As far as this tool is concerned, it is still not a deciding factor. The tool itself is fantastic.
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I haven’t got a hold of the pads of polishes yet. This is the one Rupes tool that I feel the system approach is kind of mute. So many pads and polishes out there that work well with a rotary. Perhaps for a beginner they will be useful. I Have my own technique and products that work for me thru years of trial and error. So I will try new things but won’t stray from what works for me.

And what might that be ?? Sounds like a tried and true Rotary set-up would be very useful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    I guess I`m in the minority as I like the longer cords. They let you use the polisher without any extension cords in most situations, especially in a home garage, which is convenient.
    But you may still need to use 2 outlets at 30` depending on the size of the car and outlet locations...at least that`s what I found with 30` pressure washer hoses.

For me I know my cords get twisted over time and need to be replaced and I would think the same would be true with a long power cord. With a quick release cord like the Milwaukee have you simply buy a new cord and plug it in, no time needed to open up the tool and rewire in a new cord. I just don`t understand my more tools don`t have this feature.

Likes Dr Oldz liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

But you may still need to use 2 outlets at 30` depending on the size of the car and outlet locations...at least that`s what I found with 30` pressure washer hoses.

For me I know my cords get twisted over time and need to be replaced and I would think the same would be true with a long power cord. With a quick release cord like the Milwaukee have you simply buy a new cord and plug it in, no time needed to open up the tool and rewire in a new cord. I just don`t understand my more tools don`t have this feature.

I agree. This is a great idea and everyone should use it. I only have a few tools with this option but on my drill when I ruined the cord, it was a simple fix.
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I remember reading some info about power loss or potential damage to machines when using extension cords, especially longer extension cords. Is that not really a concern? Some things even recommend to not use extension cords with them, although I do most of the time anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B View Post
    And what might that be ?? Sounds like a tried and true Rotary set-up would be very useful.
    If your looking for that magic combination there is none. It’s comes from time and experience. Technique plays a big role and again that comes from experience.
    Sonax Cut Max and Wizards Mystic Compound works great for me. Menzerna polishes are great. You hear of DA users complain about the oily wipe off.... that is a benefit to rotary polishing. Keeps the product on the paint with good working time. Pad choice and test spots are huge. I will say never use a foam pad with an edge that is 90 degrees from the pad face. Use pads with a bevel or curved edge. For finishing, 3M ultrafina is a great final step polish.
    Learning how to angle the polisher so the pad is spinning off an edge rather than into the edge comes with time and thoughtfulness while polishing.
    And most importantly, I have been using a rotary for 30 years. Anyone that says they can finish 100% swirl/hologram with a rotary on EVERY paint system is a liar. There are times where you gotta use a DA to produce a flawless finish. Cutting with a rotary is fast and effective then using a DA to finish is always a winner.

I can teach anyone in one in a day how to polish paint with a DA. The same can’t be said about Rotary polishing.
    Is rotary polishing better than DA polishing????? No answer there as it’s user preference and that we have so many polishing options. The end result is what matters no matter how you chose to get there.

Care to to share any of your thoughts on Rotary polishing, Mary?
    Likes RaydiantDetail, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I remember reading some info about power loss or potential damage to machines when using extension cords, especially longer extension cords. Is that not really a concern? Some things even recommend to not use extension cords with them, although I do most of the time anyway.
    That’s why you spend money once and get a quality extension cord. Cheap cords can cause issues for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    That’s why you spend money once and get a quality extension cord. Cheap cords can cause issues for sure.
    Even with a quality cord, isn`t there power loss for however long the cord is? For example, on my GG BOSS polishers, I use a 50` cord reel at 12ga to compensate for the total length of the cord. 50` at a 14ga or 16ga would be too much of a loss of power to the machine at that length. I know I saw some formula for this somewhere around here.

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno, in my 28+ years I`ve yet to see an issue from the use of an extension cord, but I`m not using cheap cords either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information