Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Rupes Bigfoot Nano iBrid Polisher

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Thank you so much Brandt! Means a lot man!

I`m curious how you like the soft nylon brushes - been eyeing on those for a while now.
    I`m not really sure where I would use it as opposed to The Boar`s hair brush but of course it was available so I had to buy it

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Brandt K.
    Likes Marc08EX liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting review!

I am in the market for a small polisher (I use a Flex 3401 at the moment) so I like that I found your review saying if its that deep, there is really very little reason to polish it. I thought about the long neck being useful for spaces like between spoilers, or some awkward space like scoops and stuff... but I`d like to introduce a slightly different perspective of MAYBE why the short neck can be the better choice...

Torque, not the same way you described it as leverage, but torque required to twist a longer "drive shaft" that is from what I`ve read... plastic...???

So some of the torque, while negligible, is loss with the long neck in a similar fashion as "torque steer" in a front wheel drive car. The longer axle will not generate as much torque as the shorter axle.

This may be even more true if the drive shaft is plastic, which means more prone to twisting, the longer the length. So with this in mind, while I wish I can test this, I feel the short neck generally has a slight advantage in torque but it may be not be perceivable. But I just wonder... does it actually have a slight advantage in corrective powers... Can a Rupes engineer answer this? I can actually just sit down and do the numbers if I have two units taken apart in front of me... but yeah, no such luxury here.

The shorter tool does have that advantage where the actual tool can fit into more small spaces... I might gun for the short neck.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review. I just got mine today. I went with the long neck. I`m debating on selling my PE8. If I were a pro the extra power may come in handy to save some time. But being a hobbyists I`m really never in that big a hurry. Then considering my severe back problems while the PE8 isn`t hard to control by any means the little added force to control it can make a difference.

I`m curious, do you have a PE8 and if so are you going to keep it or get rid of it?? Kind of sucks buying all the backing plates and pads and if I sell it only get pennies on the dollar. I think I have all of 4 hours on the machine lol
    Likes Marc08EX liked this post
    Thanks Marc08EX thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I may be interested in buying your PE8... not immediately but I am considering one for some work is just slightly more than the nano.

I ended up with the long neck too, but kinda felt that I should have stuck with my word and got the short neck, the distance of the trigger to polishing head is very odd, but i friggen love it, and if i want the short neck, ill buy a second one!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Great review. I just got mine today. I went with the long neck. I`m debating on selling my PE8. If I were a pro the extra power may come in handy to save some time. But being a hobbyists I`m really never in that big a hurry. Then considering my severe back problems while the PE8 isn`t hard to control by any means the little added force to control it can make a difference.

I`m curious, do you have a PE8 and if so are you going to keep it or get rid of it?? Kind of sucks buying all the backing plates and pads and if I sell it only get pennies on the dollar. I think I have all of 4 hours on the machine lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymoche View Post
    I may be interested in buying your PE8... not immediately but I am considering one for some work is just slightly more than the nano.

I ended up with the long neck too, but kinda felt that I should have stuck with my word and got the short neck, the distance of the trigger to polishing head is very odd, but i friggen love it, and if i want the short neck, ill buy a second one!
    It`s only money! lol Just let me know if your interested. I`m curious what work the ibird won`t handle, or is just a matter of wanting to get the work done faster? I went back and first on the long or short. One guy told me I should get the short one, but when I asked him why he never responded.

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience i just need some rotary action with 2 and 3 in pad with legit speed control. Even the 1in pad slings on the nano if not careful.

It`s only money! lol Just let me know if your interested. I`m curious what work the ibird won`t handle, or is just a matter of wanting to get the work done faster? I went back and first on the long or short. One guy told me I should get the short one, but when I asked him why he never responded.

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience i just need some rotary action with 2 and 3 in pad with legit speed control. Even the 1in pad slings on the nano if not careful.
    Obviously I`ll have to use the ibird first and see what kind of power it has. The 2" pads are better about sling, but not a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the nano spins too fast for the 2in pad. really. the sling when I do the hood reaches the rear bumper. its the only reason why I am considering the PE8 for some more speed control. the random orbital long throw is great for final polishing after a repair.
    Obviously I`ll have to use the ibird first and see what kind of power it has. The 2" pads are better about sling, but not a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the nano spins too fast for the 2in pad. really. the sling when I do the hood reaches the rear bumper. its the only reason why I am considering the PE8 for some more speed control. the random orbital long throw is great for final polishing after a repair.
    The PE8 is not ideal for speed control. It has no soft start or trigger throttle. The PE-14 is mean`t for precision polishing and the size difference between the two isn`t much.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.
    Thanks Raymoche thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I get sling with the Rupes blue pads all the time. I`ve just about quit using them. I`m waiting for LC`s new 2 inch microfiber pads to be released or CarPro`s new 2 inch pads to be sold by Autopia.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    The PE8 is not ideal for speed control. It has no soft start or trigger throttle. The PE-14 is mean`t for precision polishing and the size difference between the two isn`t much.
    HMM!!!!
    a new contender has arrived, time to look into the PE14 lol

But I thought the PE8, while has a on off button, can start at a very low rpm... was I misunderstanding something? unlike Nano`s 300000000zillion rpm at speed 1... lol

Post Thanks / Like

I agree... but their cutting ability is quite good (but I dont have much to compare it to besides a Flex 3401, which can really cut...)

I used the nano all weekend to spot repair scratches and wet sand marks made while removing silver roof paint all over the car that was baked on....

I get sling with the Rupes blue pads all the time. I`ve just about quit using them. I`m waiting for LC`s new 2 inch microfiber pads to be released or CarPro`s new 2 inch pads to be sold by Autopia.

Post Thanks / Like

HMM!!!!
    a new contender has arrived, time to look into the PE14 lol

But I thought the PE8, while has a on off button, can start at a very low rpm... was I misunderstanding something? unlike Nano`s 300000000zillion rpm at speed 1... lol
    The nano is rough with that, I`m doing a specialized job right now and have this exact problem. The nano spins up too fast and doesn`t have the muscle to cut chrome.

The PE14 has the slowest start besides a Festool, the PE8 is pretty bad with a starting speed of 1k+ where as the 14 starts at 600 and it starts even slower with a pressure trigger. The PE14 is the best precision rotary on the market.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Going to hope to score one on black friday if there are deals to be had applicable to this rotary...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    The nano is rough with that, I`m doing a specialized job right now and have this exact problem. The nano spins up too fast and doesn`t have the muscle to cut chrome.

The PE14 has the slowest start besides a Festool, the PE8 is pretty bad with a starting speed of 1k+ where as the 14 starts at 600 and it starts even slower with a pressure trigger. The PE14 is the best precision rotary on the market.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave! And congrats on your new iBrid!

I have a PE8 myself and I`m not getting rid of it. If I were you, I`d keep it because you might want to use your rotary when the 3" pad is needed. But it`s really up to you with what you need.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar`s Car Crazy Showcase Team
    Likes DaveT435 liked this post

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information