1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Paul@Autopia liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trouble with Rupes 4 inch pads

Quote Originally Posted by WaxManRonnie View Post
    I used Menzerna FG400.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    ^ Guz linked the perfect thread about this.

Here`s the quote from Dylan@Rupes on that post specifically about FG400:
    "EDIT - just saw FG400. We have identified a VERY specific pattern of that compound vs. our green foam that they do not play well together. I am unclear as to solvent content (or whatever other content there is in that formula) but I would discourage the use of FG400 specifically with the green or blue. Doesn`t seem to have issues with the others and the green seems to be the least compatible. As our compounds are all water based they foams were setup for that in compatibility - the issue between this specific compound and that pad is something that only manifested itself fully in the last 8-10 months and there is a definite pattern."

Post Thanks / Like

Rupes pads and solvent based compounds have been a problem for at least 3 years. I`m not sure how many water based polishes are on the market besides Chemical Guys polishes. I have a feeling Polish Angel compounds may be water based just due to their wonderful smell, though I could be wrong. It would be nice if Rupes would list which polishes that are known to be compatible with their pads. Saying only use Rupes polishes with their pads costs them money. I have gone almost exclusively to microfiber pads to do my cutting on hard paint systems. I have tried the Rupes blue pads with their matching polish and while they do the job I have yet to learn to control the polish "sling" due to the open cell quality of the blue pad.
    Likes Joel79 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Guz,
    Thanks for the post. I still find it troubling that I can use any type of pad with that polish and never have an issue. Not sure what is so special about those pads that I got that just don`t work well with the fast glass 400. Lesson learned. I most likely will never use those again. Hell, I could go to Harbor Freight and use the cheap pads from there and never have a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

People forget (or don`t care) that Rupes Bigfoot was introduced as a * system *, with the intention of keeping it`s components in harmony with one another. Rupes never intended their tools to be used with after market pads or polishes, which is why they have no obligation to validate competing accessory products with their tools.

In my experience the system has a fairly significant learning curve. From understanding the anit-spin, to dressing / reloading the pads, to reducing the amount of pressure we place on the head of the polisher...

That being said, I find that Meguiar`s products seem to work very well with the Rupes tools and pads. Still, I tend to use it as a system, with no washer mod.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Trouble with Rupes 4 inch pads

I`m thinking OP just got a bad pad? At least Rupes is going to fix it & realize the OP is an OG and knows what`s up & prolly didn`t cook his pads - and they aren`t saying "user error".

My experience is a bit different. I have been using the same Rupes pads as a Rupes system for years now. I bought these pads + a BF 15 from AG a day or so after they picked up Rupes as vendor - it was prolly 3 years ago? Maybe 4?

Granted, I only use them a few times a year. But I just used 2 yellow 6" pads to do the flat surfaces of my new truck with their fine polish on my BG Mk II yesterday with no problems. The white pads have been used the most (on my BMW - doesn`t really need correction), I`ve prolly used/washed them 30 times and they are still in excellent shape.

Still love this system, how easy it is to use, and how good it works. I also love the polish so much I started using it with my PC 7424 & 3" pads (don`t have the mini).

Anyway, I`ve cleaned them with LA`s Totally Awesome APC, WG & BF pad cleaners, & IPA - no problems.

So, here is a pic of some of the first Rupes pads AG sold, currently sitting on my washer clean & drying:

Likes danlc95 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danlc95 View Post
    People forget (or don`t care) that Rupes Bigfoot was introduced as a * system *, with the intention of keeping it`s components in harmony with one another. Rupes never intended their tools to be used with after market pads or polishes, which is why they have no obligation to validate competing accessory products with their tools.

In my experience the system has a fairly significant learning curve. From understanding the anit-spin, to dressing / reloading the pads, to reducing the amount of pressure we place on the head of the polisher...

That being said, I find that Meguiar`s products seem to work very well with the Rupes tools and pads. Still, I tend to use it as a system, with no washer mod.
    I know I`ve read in the past, that the polisher works best with its own pads. But I don`t recall anything that said our polish works best.
    if someone Rupes sees this thread again hopefully they`ll reach out to me. On the brighter side, I used the CarPro CQuartz . It is absolutely phenomenal.

Post Thanks / Like

My experience with Rupes pads is that the blue and green don`t hold up as well as the yellow and white. There is a big difference between the foam cell size between the yellow and white and the blue and green. The huge open cell size of the blue and green must allow for polish to get inside the pad causing them to heat up more and faster. Rupes doesn`t want you to load up the blue and greens with polish, if you do the pads (ime) blow up. I may need to attend a Rupes class on how to use the blue and green pads, or reread Mike Phillips Rupes book, but until then I`ll just use microfiber pads to do the rough paint work.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I know I`ve read in the past, that the polisher works best with its own pads. But I don`t recall anything that said our polish works best.
    if someone Rupes sees this thread again hopefully they`ll reach out to me. On the brighter side, I used the CarPro CQuartz . It is absolutely phenomenal.
    When they say "system" I take that to mean every component of the polishing process.

I forgot to mention that I also really liked the now discontinued Lake Country HD Orbital pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    My experience with Rupes pads is that the blue and green don`t hold up as well as the yellow and white. There is a big difference between the foam cell size between the yellow and white and the blue and green. The huge open cell size of the blue and green must allow for polish to get inside the pad causing them to heat up more and faster. Rupes doesn`t want you to load up the blue and greens with polish, if you do the pads (ime) blow up. I may need to attend a Rupes class on how to use the blue and green pads, or reread Mike Phillips Rupes book, but until then I`ll just use microfiber pads to do the rough paint work.
    Actually, they`re designed so that the polish continually flows around the face of the pad.

Their rigidity, and relatively dry nature probably account for their increased rate of wear.

I`m pretty gentle on pads, and try to take very good care of them. The blue foam pads I learned the system on wore faster than I thought they would. They do work beautifully though.

Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 33153Attachment 33153

I used Rupes pads on 2 doors of my Ford Taurus SHO and they fell apart pretty quick. I`m already not a big fan of Rupes to begin with. But these I received as a birthday gift and didn`t even use them for about 2 hours...
    Disappointed..
    So those pads where brand new and in two doors they fell apart?

Post Thanks / Like

The pads looked new but looked like the foam was pulled to remove it from the backing plate causing it to separate from the backing. I caught myself doing that to a pad and it started to separate so I realized I needed to pull on the backing and not the foam or my pad would look like those in the photo. The Rupes attachment is really strong and should not be pulled by the foam to remove the pad from the machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander View Post
    The pads looked new but looked like the foam was pulled to remove it from the backing plate causing it to separate from the backing. I caught myself doing that to a pad and it started to separate so I realized I needed to pull on the backing and not the foam or my pad would look like those in the photo. The Rupes attachment is really strong and should not be pulled by the foam to remove the pad from the machine.
    Todd. Yes they were brand new.

Wing Commander- They were pulling apart while in use. It wasn`t from taking them off. I learned that from my Bigfoot. That Velcro backing is strong! Too strong in my opinion. Not sure why it`s like that. But Rupes sent me some new ones. So I will take their suggestion on what polish to use from now on with those pads.
    Likes Wing Commander liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the follow up I will keep a eye on my pads next time to see what is up. So far they are really holding strong.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information