Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trouble with Rupes 4 inch pads

Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander View Post
    I just purchased a Rupes mini75 polisher and five types of Rupes pads and two types of microfiber pads. I also purchased all five types of polish to match the pads. Is there any cautions I should know about compared to using Menzerna polishes? I will mostly use this for only where the big machines do not fit.

We obviously cannot test our pads with the huge number of good compounds on the market, so this is just my opinion (not official). I have had good luck with Menzerna and our pads. I haven`t tried the newer 300 however.

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased a Rupes mini75 polisher and five types of Rupes pads and two types of microfiber pads. I also purchased all five types of polish to match the pads. Is there any cautions I should know about compared to using Menzerna polishes? I will mostly use this for only where the big machines do not fit.
    Just don`t use any pressure when polishing. Let the polisher do all the work for you and you should be fine. The blue coarse pad gets clogged quickly so try not to use too much polish. I also started to replace my pads more often instead of trying to clean them with a brush. I think the brush tears up the Rupes pads faster.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Likes felixthecat liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I had a new 6" yellow microfiber tear when pulling it off the backing plate Sunday. Was only the 2nd panel I used it on and I had cleaned and dried it in between panels. Sucks because I was really impressed with the results. The foam tore from the backing material to the face and I wasn`t overly aggressive removing it. While using it I was thinking I will have to order more than the 4 I have but not sure now. Anyone else have this issue?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSkip333 View Post
    I had a new 6" yellow microfiber tear when pulling it off the backing plate Sunday. Was only the 2nd panel I used it on and I had cleaned and dried it in between panels. Sucks because I was really impressed with the results. The foam tore from the backing material to the face and I wasn`t overly aggressive removing it. While using it I was thinking I will have to order more than the 4 I have but not sure now. Anyone else have this issue?
    I have come close to doing this. After polishing the heat and pressure built up makes the pad attach to the backing plate more. You have to make sure you grab the pad by the velcro and not the foam. Even if you have to pull a little at a time and wedge your hand behind it. I learned the hard way on some Meg`s MF discs.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vega@RaysWayDetailing View Post
    If you use anything other than RUPES brand polishes, you`re taking a risk.

Thanks for chiming in and clearing that up Todd & Dylan. That makes sense.

Shouldn`t be that way. You`d think most polishes what be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSkip333 View Post
    I`ve had it start on both blue and yellow mf pads.

I have a ton of each, and what I`ve noticed is that some have a hard, dense substrate that holds the fibers and velcro. These pads hold up great, and are very durable.

Others have a more porous substrate, and are very soft. It`s as if it wasn`t "cooked" correctly, or was mis-formulated... With these pads, I`m more careful with how I remove them from the backing plate. I haven`t had one tear from normal operation though. It was from putting too much stress on then from removal.
    Thanks felixthecat thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think I remember seeing someone on AG post a gutted green pad after using Menzerna FG400.
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I would only use Rupes polishes with Rupes pads. The chemicals in Menz polishes can/will cause the adhesive that binds the Velcro to the foam to dissolve. Grab some B&S pads for Menzerma products.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve noticed that sometimes the red Rupes mark on the backing velcro is missing. Could this mean or be knockoff products ?
    Sometimes I purchase from other Detail supply sites, and when they are low in product, where do they source an
    emergency supply ? ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I would only use Rupes polishes with Rupes pads. The chemicals in Menz polishes can/will cause the adhesive that binds the Velcro to the foam to dissolve. Grab some B&S pads for Menzerma products.
    Great to know...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B View Post
    I`ve noticed that sometimes the red Rupes mark on the backing velcro is missing. Could this mean or be knockoff products ?
    Sometimes I purchase from other Detail supply sites, and when they are low in product, where do they source an
    emergency supply ? ?
    I have purchased almost 200 Rupes pads this year from PBMG 7",6",4" and all colors and micro pads have the red Trademark on them.
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have purchased almost 200 Rupes pads this year from PBMG 7",6",4" and all colors and micro pads have the red Trademark on them.
    PBMG is solid. No question
    I`m leary of one site, mainly.
    The River

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    Likes Wing Commander liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B View Post
    emergency supply ? ?
    Their older pads didn`t have the red logo.
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

1.jpg1.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd@RUPES View Post
    This is also the first I have heard of such a problem. PM me your address and I will ship you out a box of 4-inch pads. If you don`t mind, please send the damaged pads to our US facility in Colorado. We would like have one of the engineers examine this problem.

I used Rupes pads on 2 doors of my Ford Taurus SHO and they fell apart pretty quick. I`m already not a big fan of Rupes to begin with. But these I received as a birthday gift and didn`t even use them for about 2 hours...
    Disappointed..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxManRonnie View Post

I used Rupes pads on 2 doors of my Ford Taurus SHO and they fell apart pretty quick. I`m already not a big fan of Rupes to begin with. But these I received as a birthday gift and didn`t even use them for about 2 hours...
    Disappointed..
    What type of Polish did you use with the blue pads. I looks like the second pad is delaminating also. The blue and green pads seem to be the pads I have the most problems with. I have stopped using both blue and green pads and now use microfiber pads for compounding. Besides delaminating I also had problems with the blue and green pads deteriorating. I still use the yellow and white Rupes pads and I would put those two up against any manufacturers pads.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information