Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ferrari Daytona vs. Mk II BigFoot!

Some cars simply deserve to be perfect. The legendary Ferrari Daytona checks that box. What better to improve the appearance of the already stunning Italian supercar than to use the latest in Italian technology: The RUPES LHR 21 Mark II BigFoot Random Orbital Polisher.

The Ferrari Daytona is the muscle car of the fabled Italian brand’s line up. Testosterone fueled lines, a massive V12 upfront, and loads of tire twisting torque make this one of the most desirable cars of all time; and arguably one of the most beautiful.

Manufactured less than 2 hours away from Ferrari’s hometown of Modena, Italy, RUPES SpA has been making world-class tools for the better part of 7 decades outside of Milan. In fact, the first RUPES tools hit the market the same year Ferrari built their first road going car: 1947.

The Mark II versions of the RUPES LHR 21 and LHR 15 feature 30% more power and efficiency (closer to 40% but who wants to brag), improved electronic controls, more RPM, and a more rugged body. In addition, when teamed up with the careful RUPES BigFoot pads and compounds, these tools deliver legendary Italian performance that leaves other tools and countries scratching their heads.

The first order of business was to clean the Ferrari Daytona and prep it’s surface for polishing. It was carefully washed using a prototype RUPES soap and dried using waffle weave micro fiber towels. Compressed air made quick work of any lingering water. Cyclo’s classic twin-headed orbital polisher with Nanoskin pads removed any embedded contaminants from the paint. While the random orbital design of the BigFoot polisher greatly reduce the chance of damaging trim, it was taped none-the-less using 3M Green Tape.

This classic Ferrari had seen better days. Using the calibrated inspection RUPES’ pen light highlighted the paint defects. Sadly, this car deserved much better.

[IMG]

RUPES offers a wide variety of pad and compound options to tackle a number of defects. Given the frequency and depth of these of defects, I elected to use the Mark II tool to its fullest potential by teaming it up with blue micro fiber cutting pad and Zephir compound.

RUPES micro fiber pads are slotted to aid in surface cooling and help balance the weight of the pad to the counterbalance of the tool. As you can see in the photo below, no matter which angle you mount the pads, you will always interface the cooling holes in the backing plate.

To prime the pad, simply draw a thin coating of product over the face of the pad.

Use RUPES’ micro fiber pads on speed 3-4 for maximum effect. Work over the section 3-4 times using slow arm speed.

Optional: Although not officially recommended by RUPES, you can add a mist of water to the surface and continue to polish in order to increase the cutting power significantly.

Spraying the surface with water will amp the cutting power significantly, but allow increase the amount of haze on the surface. However, the trade off was clearly worth it as the I was able to remove 100% of the defects in just 1-step!

Microfiber pads work best when they are cleaned of built-up residue. Use compressed air to blow out debris frequently. When the pad no longer blows completely clean, switch to a fresh micro fiber pad.

For polishing the detail areas, the RUPES LHR 75E “Mini” was used with a 100mm blue micro fiber pad and Zephir compound. Again speed for was used for about 3-4 section passes.

After the initial compounding step was carried out, I switched to RUPES UHS Easy Gloss Compound and the UHS Foam Pad to refine the haze. Note: This haze likely wouldn’t have been present if I hadn’t used the water to amp the cutting power.

Start with 6 drops of product on the outer third of the pad and run for 30 seconds using firm pressure. Afterwards, use only 2 drops of UHS to reload the pad and run at speed 4-6 using light pressure for maximum effect.

The improvement in gloss was significant; The Ferrari Daytona began to look as good as it should.

For the detail work, I decided to go with pneumatic LHR 75 BigFoot. The massive 15mm orbit and 11,000RPM make this not only one of the most powerful tools in the BigFoot line up, but one of the most powerful tools period.

The improvement in gloss was MASSIVE. I was happy!

To be honest, I could have easily stopped here. I wanted to take the Daytona to it’s absolute potential so I elected to do a final polishing step using RUPES BigFoot Diamond White Compound and the white foam pad.

There is no real need to prime this pad, instead use three-pea sized drops and run at speed 4 for 3-4 section passes.

For the detail areas I switched back to the electric LHR 75E “Mini”. Again using Speed 4 (all RUPES BigFoot tools are calibrated to deliver consistence performance relative to polishing area size). Working 3-4 section passes ensured complete breakdown (and easy removal) of the Diamond Ultrafine Polish.

After wiping off the polish I was greeted with a stunning finish. I decided to use BLACKFIRE’s amazing BlackICE montan wax (A wax I helped to design as the Director of Development for BLACKFIRE in a previous life).

Finally I wiped down the engine of the Daytona using a prototype RUPES detail spray and cleaned the leather of the interior using RUPES Leather Fast Cleaner.

Finally, all trim was replaced onto the now-stunning paint.

While rainy weather prevented any sun shots, the Daytona was now perfect. Some shots using the RUPES’ penlight.

Thanks GearHead_1, Stokdgs, Oldfordisbetter thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ferrari Daytona vs. Mk II BigFoot!

Finally, some after shots!

Post Thanks / Like

What could I say that would be adequate to describe that detail? It`s great.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

hood popped and reflecting the rupes banner. wow, what a great money shot
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Todd,
    Stunning, perfect, world-class work !!!

That last pic above taken from a ladder I assume - wow - amazing look restored to such a classic car..

Thank you so much for all that hard work, incredible results, pics and editing..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Good lord that`s a pretty car...

Post Thanks / Like

With what did you stick the emblem back on?

Post Thanks / Like

Great work Todd!
    Craig Embro
    KosmetikWerks Pro Detail

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! Just awesome. Glad some things don`t change. Nice hearing from you again Todd.

Post Thanks / Like

Great detailing, Todd.
    it looks like you used the Mini and the 15 mm pneumatic. Any specific reason for that?
    thanks for posting!
    also, will you guys release RUPES posters sometime? And some BIGFOOT stickers came with my Mini that I got awhile ago: would gladly purchase some more of those if they were available.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    What could I say that would be adequate to describe that detail? It`s great.
    Thank you my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by donbeezy View Post
    hood popped and reflecting the rupes banner. wow, what a great money shot
    Thank you. Luckily this car had a serious money restoration and the body / paint were very very flat, making the reflection shots pop that much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Todd,
    Stunning, perfect, world-class work !!!

That last pic above taken from a ladder I assume - wow - amazing look restored to such a classic car..

Thank you so much for all that hard work, incredible results, pics and editing..
    Dan F
    Thanks Dan! It really means a lot old friend.

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Good lord that`s a pretty car...
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by craigdt View Post
    With what did you stick the emblem back on?
    The old Ferrari logos actually have studs on them that slide through holes in the body and get nutted on.

Quote Originally Posted by kosmetikwerks View Post
    Great work Todd!
    Grazie!

Quote Originally Posted by jtford95 View Post
    Awesome! Just awesome. Glad some things don`t change. Nice hearing from you again Todd.
    Thanks man! I appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfordisbetter View Post
    Great detailing, Todd.
    it looks like you used the Mini and the 15 mm pneumatic. Any specific reason for that?
    thanks for posting!
    also, will you guys release RUPES posters sometime? And some BIGFOOT stickers came with my Mini that I got awhile ago: would gladly purchase some more of those if they were available.
    I will check on the availability of RUPES posters/banners.

The LHR 75 Air Tool features a 15mm stroke and a potential of 11,000 RPM (free air). IF you have adequate air supply, this is the most powerful tool in the RUPES BigFoot line up. Fortunately I had an ample air to use the tool to its fullest potential. When it comes to both cutting with a microfiber pad and final polishing, it is essential to have control over the RPM. Nothing will give you total control and consistency like an electric tool, which is why I chose the LHR 75E Mini for those parts.

Post Thanks / Like

`Perfect` was the perfect descriptor. Well done.

Post Thanks / Like

very nice todd. good to see you haven`t lost any of your mad detailing skills.

Post Thanks / Like

<----- In awe.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

The one thing you can always count on it Todd raising the bar.

Dam that`s pretty---Almost makes me what to but a black car again...............
    Likes Ronkh, tropicsteve liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information