Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Vibration wise, How does the Rupes Duetto compare to the 15 w/ Rupes pads?

If the Dueto is smoother by ?% of the GG6/pc 7424xp, how much % smoother is the 15 to the duetto? Just trying to figure out the % of vibration of the 2 Rupes machines. I`m really leaning towards the duetto as its similar in size. Thank you guys for your input.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vibration wise, How does the Rupes Duetto compare to the 15 w/ Rupes pads?

I never have used a GG6 or PC, but I have heard from some that a PC vibrates a lot. The only thing I don`t like about my 21es is the size and that makes the Duetto very appealing. I own a 21es and 75e (mini) and I really want a Duetto because of its size.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If you like the body size of the Mini go for the Duetto. Or is it the 21 throw that your not liking.
    I have the 15,21 and mini. I had a gg6 and didnt like that body style. I prefer the 15/21 body now. You can reach further with it. IF your looking for less throw the 15 is awesome.
    Likes felixthecat, The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

When used with the properly weighted pads, all RUPES BigFoot polishers should exhibit near-zero vibration in free air (lifted off the paint). This is vital for tool life, user comfort, etc... This can be exhibited on everything from the tiny LHR75 pneumatic to the massive "21".

The larger the stroke, the more sensitive the tool becomes to requiring properly weighted and balanced pads because the force which causes the unbalance (and thus vibration) is modified.

So, the Duetto and LHR 15ES should be equally vibration free. However, if you are going to use other pad options the Duetto should have exhibit slightly less vibration.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered a 15. Open box ebay deal via autopia. Excited!
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec
    Likes XxBoostinxX, mnehls86, The Guz, Todd@RUPES liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Just ordered a 15. Open box ebay deal via autopia. Excited!
    Awesome! You are going to love it.

Likes Todd@RUPES liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Used my 15 today for the first time... I`m in love. So buttery smooth, like a rotary. My 3401 may not get much time now that it`s in line behind the 15 and my 3403.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec
    Likes mnehls86 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Used my 15 today for the first time... I`m in love. So buttery smooth, like a rotary. My 3401 may not get much time now that it`s in line behind the 15 and my 3403.
    That is kind of what happened to my 3401. Bought a 21es about a year ago and haven`t used the 3401 since.

Post Thanks / Like

As I`ve mentioned in previous posts, vibration dampening gloves can make almost any machine feel much better. At the same time, I`d really like to run all these machines at the same time and place and compare not just their feel but also their effectiveness.

What I`d predict is that all the machines with the same action - 21mm throw random orbital - 15mm throw random orbital, etc. would perform exactly the same in the hands of a single skilled operator. Of course, I`d like to throw a couple of true dual action machines into the mix - forced rotation with elliptical movement - for comparison as well.

I`m in Orange County, CA but would travel a fair distance to participate.

Robert
    Likes XxBoostinxX, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

All Y`all hating on the 3401 with all this Rupes love. So I`ll represent for Flex :

It`s Red.

Maybe it`s my 3401 but I find it to be not as smooth and the gear head to me has a lot of clatter. My 3403 and PE8 however are nice tools.
    Likes XxBoostinxX, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhyteWizard View Post
    As I`ve mentioned in previous posts, vibration dampening gloves can make almost any machine feel much better.
    I have been eyeing a set of vibration dampening gloves on Amazon: Ergodyne ProFlex 9000 Certified Lightweight Anti-Vibration Glove, X-Large - Anti Vibration Safety Gloves - Amazon.com. When I put my 6" backing plate on my 21es with Meguiar`s 6" Microfiber pads it vibrates like crazy. It isn`t that bad with a 5" backing plate and Megs 5" Microfiber pads.

Post Thanks / Like

i love my duetto but have no point of reference, it is the first and only polisher i have (because I dont count my meguars da drill adapter as a real tool)

it feels very smooth to me- especially with the rupes pads

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhyteWizard View Post
    As I`ve mentioned in previous posts, vibration dampening gloves can make almost any machine feel much better. At the same time, I`d really like to run all these machines at the same time and place and compare not just their feel but also their effectiveness.
    While I am sure that vibration dampening gloves would improve operator comfort, they will do nothing to protect the tool. The true test of a random orbital polisher is to hold it in free air and allow it to run in a variety of speed settings. Any vibration you feel is created by an imbalance in the rotating assembly and creates a side load on the bearings in the tool, which increases drag, forces the motor to draw more power to maintain rotation (both in free air and under load) to over come this drag, generally results in a hotter running tool, and reduces bearing life.

Even placing the running tool on the paint will limit the vibration we feel because a foam pad will act as spongy shock absorber. The tool itself remains unbalanced and the same stresses mentioned above are still occurring.

What I`d predict is that all the machines with the same action - 21mm throw random orbital - 15mm throw random orbital, etc. would perform exactly the same in the hands of a single skilled operator. Of course, I`d like to throw a couple of true dual action machines into the mix - forced rotation with elliptical movement - for comparison as well.
    I can certainly attest that this in not true. An orbital movement machine is far more dependent on efficiency than actual power draw. It`s the reason we pedal a bicycle in tiny orbits to drive the rear when in a large rotational movement. It just takes far less power input (this shouldn`t be confused with power output) and excessive draw under load (due to a lack of efficiency in the unit) will result in a nice marketing number and a much hotter design. There`s more internal drag to overcome.

Also, the orbital movement is always circular, and never elliptical. A forced rotation, dual action polisher, actually creates a single motion pattern which repeats on the paint. The movement resembles a snake slithering in a circle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd@RUPES View Post
    I can certainly attest that this in not true. An orbital movement machine is far more dependent on efficiency than actual power draw. It`s the reason we pedal a bicycle in tiny orbits to drive the rear when in a large rotational movement. It just takes far less power input (this shouldn`t be confused with power output) and excessive draw under load (due to a lack of efficiency in the unit) will result in a nice marketing number and a much hotter design. There`s more internal drag to overcome.

Also, the orbital movement is always circular, and never elliptical. A forced rotation, dual action polisher, actually creates a single motion pattern which repeats on the paint. The movement resembles a snake slithering in a circle.

As long as the rpms and the orbital movement is the same, the same throw, the movement between the pad and the paint will be the same no matter how efficiently those rpms are delivered. The reason we like to keep the rpms up on our bicycles is that it takes less power per revolution to create a given amount of power output at higher rpms than lower. So, the stress on our muscles has more peaks but the peaks are lower and therefore easier to maintain. This principle is nice to know but I don`t see a correlation between bicycles and polishers as far as this conversation is concerned, unless you`re pointing out that a larger throw machine is like using a higher gear, which will require more peak power per rpm. I would agree with that but again, no matter how efficiently or inefficiently those rpms are delivered, as long as they are delivered, the outcome at the point of contact should be the same.

The pattern of a dual action machine does not repeat from revolution to revolution because orbits per revolution are not a whole number. You can see the pattern shift if you turn the machine upside down and watch the pad. That`s why a dual action machine can create a swirl free, pattern free finish.

Robert

Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information