Post Thanks / Like

Will rupes offer forcedH

Hi Todd

Do you think or can you find out if rupes will ever offer a forced rotation or forced and random machine combined machine in the future

Forced does create along with rotary at ultra low speed, a better finish than random most times and I`m sick to death of manufacturers making the same tools over and over

Sometimes forced or rotary is needed though I always finish with random
    There is so much more development and evolution of the polisher to go and even whole new types of them and only rupes has looked at our industry and responded as they have.
    i have many ideas for machines but don`t have the money or ability to make them.

Biggest problem with current geared machines is low orbit throw like festool ro90dx. I`d buy one if festool would make it 8 to 14mm throw at least. I`ve Told them many times to make it at least 10mm throw, it`s only 3

And the bigger rotexs don`t spin well in random mode at low speed and again only 5mm throw and no variety of polishing backing plate thicknesses, one polishing plate and the rest are for sanding.

Then the flex, forced only not both and it spins the wrong way IMO.
    The buffing pad aficionado

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will rupes offer forcedH

Quote Originally Posted by Detailology Oz View Post
    Hi Todd

Do you think or can you find out if rupes will ever offer a forced rotation or forced and random machine combined machine in the future

Forced does create along with rotary at ultra low speed, a better finish than random most times and I`m sick to death of manufacturers making the same tools over and over

There is so much more development and evolution of the polisher to go and only rupes has looked at our industry and responded as they have.
    i have many ideas for machines but don`t have the money or ability to make them.

Biggest problem with current geared machines is low orbit throw like festool ro90dx. I`d buy one if festool would make it 8 to 14mm throw at least. I`ve Told them many times to make it at least 10mm throw, it`s only 3

And the bigger rotexs don`t spin well in random mode at low speed and again only 5mm throw and no variety of polishing backing plate thicknesses, one polishing plate and the rest are for sanding.

Then the flex, forced only not both.
    While I don`t know, by best guess would be probably not.

RUPES designed the BigFoot to replace its forced rotation (gear driven) polisher, which had been around for almost 20 years.

My understanding is that it is very difficult to create a large-throw gear-driven polisher because it places an incredible amount of stress on the gear drive. This is why most companies that offer a polisher stick to relatively small diameter orbit. Basically, the larger the stroke the less RPM the machine can turn. FLEX has done a great job by incorporating the gear drive into the backing plate, and as such they are able to deliver 480 RPM with 8mm of stroke, which is really really good. To increase the throw, RPM speed, or both would (to my understanding) mean more robust gears that will increase weight and perhaps cost. Heat would likely become an even larger issue.

Our move away from gear driven was done for the following reasons:

1) Heat. The gear assembly creates a lot of heat, and the location of the gear drive means this heat is usually is close to the operators hand.

2) Finish quality. A gear drive is neither random nor orbital. It scribes a reverse U pattern on the surface (the pad never orbits over itself like a curly q random orbital pattern) that is identical, rotation after rotation. This increases the likely hood of creating a visible scratch pattern. The point of the U is sharp, as the pad has to stop then rotate then accelerate away. This increases the likelyhood of micro marring, particularly with aggressive grains and a soft foam pad that bunches.

3) Efficiency- It requires far less power to run a random orbital polisher than a gear-driven polisher if both create an equal cut. Adding more power to a random orbital usually results in slightly more cut (maybe) but usually a lot more heat. That said, it doesn`t mean aren`t RUPES isn`t working hard to make BigFoot even more efficient.

I will pass your thoughts along, and like I said, I don`t know. The answer above is just my understanding based on previous discussions with our engineering staff and filtered by my lack being an engineer, but you can never say never!

Post Thanks / Like

I should note that some gear driven tools do not create a reverse U. Because they rotate and orbit in the same direction, they do create the preferred "random orbital" pattern. I believe these use some type of planetary gear arrangement, which is both heavy and costly to manufacture, and to my knowledge, really places a limit on stroke length.

Post Thanks / Like

I certainly agree with your comments Todd regarding forced, it certainly can leave marring or worse
    Random orbital can struggle with some things and I love the zero vibration of a rotary and with the new ultra low speed machine with capability of running at 200, 350, 500, 650 and back down to 200 without burning out the motor and new non filling glazing polish that`s mega ultra fine and using sealants via rotary at those speeds, rotary has life left in it

However random is the most uniform and good to finish out with a lot of the time.
    however I have seen all my randoms reduce the colour richness of a rotary jeweled car down a shade or two recently with same polish and plate as rotary or even a finer polish which seems to back up the opinion of someone I know whose 10,000 gloss meter showed rotary finished out 2 points higher than random on all his tests.

I`ve seen incredibly wet sharp finishes Come from forced rotation but I don`t like ending with it

My biggest issue with some randoms is the drying out of the polish from so much airflow. Forced keeps the polish wet for some reason. Makes it become more oily and stay moist which is one of the keys to a great finish from my experience over 23 years

My little 6.25mm metabo doesn`t dry polish out at all but my big ones do.
    Cheers for the quick reply. The more options of machine type, the better IMO. One style and orbit throw size can`t do it all.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just read your other posts. Price is no object for me with tools? But I`m picky with what I buy
    Paid 790 for my ultra low speed German rotary although its still 1200 watts and goes to 1500 if needed albeit rarely. it`s worth every dollar. The shinex is no match even though the price is the same

Post Thanks / Like

So continuing on

I really do prefer a forced unit like what the festool rotex and flex units have
    random is nice to have and even if a random can be made or has been made to match a forced ones cut, I do see better richer finishes coming from forced with no marring. Paint dependent of course, subarus don`t like forced down under in oz.
    maybe my rotary background from 1998 onwards has caused me to like forced gear driven machines so much but it works.

Anyway if no other manufacturer comes to the party with where I see forced and random polishers going and what I`d love to use in the future, I`ll pass them on to rupes instead, at least they listen.

I hate standing still
    a huge game changer is possible if the Germans listen but they may not.

Thread Information