Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks,

I have a customer who want to detail his 360, similar size of Corvette. Detailed regularly by another pro before he moved to Newport Beach, California. He used to pay $130 for this car. He is owning total of 6 cars that will need detail every 6 months. Right now he just want to try one to see my workmanship, therefore, pretty much I just want to stick to $130. In this case what kind of service would you approach to please this type of client?

The car is red color. Assuming in good condition.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by opass
    Folks,

I have a customer who want to detail his 360, similar size of Corvette. Detailed regularly by another pro before he moved to Newport Beach, California. He used to pay $130 for this car. He is owning total of 6 cars that will need detail every 6 months. Right now he just want to try one to see my workmanship, therefore, pretty much I just want to stick to $130. In this case what kind of service would you approach to please this type of client?

The car is red color. Assuming in good condition.

California rate is $50 a hour. Once again it’s about asking questions to build value.. Ask him what did the other person do for $130.00???. How long did he take? What chemicals and equipment did he use? Ask him if you may take a look at the other cars?

Post Thanks / Like
    What did he like about the other services, and what did he not like, about the other services. $130.00 is awful cheap, dont sell yourself short. Is it garaged most of the time ?
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do not bend just for him. I know you want him as a client, but you have to make your $$ too. That`s the first thing I leaned about running my own jobs. Everyone wants a deal, and if you give it to them you`ll soon be out of business. Work with him and agree on a service and do a good job. Treat him well and hopefully he`ll come back with more cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TFin04
    Do not bend just for him. I know you want him as a client, but you have to make your $$ too. That`s the first thing I leaned about running my own jobs. Everyone wants a deal, and if you give it to them you`ll soon be out of business. Work with him and agree on a service and do a good job. Treat him well and hopefully he`ll come back with more cars.

He is seeking out your services because he was unhappy or unsatisfied with his previous detailers work, which the person did for (what he states) $130. I wouldn`t necessarily ask him all the questions about the other detailer, I am not sure the answers are very relevant. You are there to please him. Ask him for his expectations for each vehicle and how often he would like each to be taken care of. That should give you an excellent idea of what to charge.

Also, do not forget that if you make a mistake and damage something (it happens) the cost is going to be significantly higher than if you were to cause harm to a 99 Accord. Your liability is higher for some of his vehicles so that too should be taken into consideration. You hang out on Autopia so I assume the majority of your products cost a fair amount. Calculate your hourly, figure how many hours it will take to meet his needs and estimate accurately.

When giving your estimates it is important to be sincere and straight-forward, explaining how you arrived at the figures. I take care of a gentleman`s Modena every three months at a substantially higher rate than $130. He gets only the best products and my undivided attention. . . even my phone is on silent.

If you work at a lesser rate than what you should, that is going to be magnified 6x, and you will be kicking yourself every time he calls to have another one done. Charge according to the level of work you produce, accurately, and do your best. If he`s happy, he will call again and you`ll be happy (and paid!).

Oh, and . . .

Assuming in good condition.
    Never assume such a thing!
    -Andrew.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thansk for the re-enforcement. Owner mention the previous detailer provided wash, clay, wax, all interior cleaned and condition. That` all I know at this moment.

Let me refine my question. My rate per hour is $50. Will not do for less.

$130.00 is two and half hours work. With this time frame, exterior will receive wash, clay N wax, wheels and tires cleaned and dressed as min. requirement. Door panels and dashboard wipe down and dressed. Seats lightly cleaned and condition. Vaccum. Windows cleaned inside out.

Now...Would you guys be able to do more within this 2.5 hours time frame?

Remember this is sport car in good condition with 2 seats and 2 doors only like the corvette.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now...Would you guys be able to do more within this 2.5 hours time frame?

Remember this is sport car in good condition with 2 seats and 2 doors only like the corvette.

Blow out/wipe the motor compartment

Dress the compartment

Polish chrome in compartment/exhaust

Poly clay/apply sealant to wheels

Don`t under estimate the time needed to clean those damn things either

I will always glaze if a polish is not needed, sometimes both

The interior takes a LOT of leather conditioner. . . it`s like a coach factory in there.

Wax jams

Premium wax for exterior/x2 on the nose

What is going to set you apart from the rest? I could spend six if the guy would pa . . . let me!!
    -Andrew.

Post Thanks / Like
    At our shop a $130.00 detail is called a mini-detail. Its a wash , wax, vacuum, windows,tires, wheels, and interior as needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pssstue
    Blow out/wipe the motor compartment

Dress the compartment

Polish chrome in compartment/exhaust

Poly clay/apply sealant to wheels

Don`t under estimate the time needed to clean those damn things either

I will always glaze if a polish is not needed, sometimes both

The interior takes a LOT of leather conditioner. . . it`s like a coach factory in there.

Wax jams

Premium wax for exterior/x2 on the nose

What is going to set you apart from the rest? I could spend six if the guy would pa . . . let me!!

pssstue,

Are you saying you do all the above for 2.5 hours work? include my basic?

Post Thanks / Like
    opass,

I got a call from a guy early last week with a black Boxster. I finally got to see him late yesterday to just look at the car. He told me what he wants, which was pretty much a car with a miror finish, scratches removed, interior done and apply protectant to the fabric top.

I just told him I charge $300.00 for my detail work and that I detail the whole car. If he said no...that`s fine by me because there are many others waiting in the wings....

So don`t sell yourself short, be confident, not cocky, in your abilities but also know your limits. I try and now practice "under commit and over deliver". So for me, $130 for an interior and exterior is on the low end. I am doing a very clean Porsche tomorrow, so clean it won`t need to be washed (over 2 years old with 3000 miles), I`ll vacuum it, which is always a joke....condition the leather, windows, maybe pass over it with the Cyclo and OCP and lay down some OCW, dress tires. That`s about $140.00

By the way....the Boxster guy made an appointment with me to not only do his car but his wifes and also we will apply 2 clear bra kits on his Porsche and her X5 :clap:

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    I do a black Corvette Z7 every month and it’s not that easy to do interior cleaning, wash, and wax it averages about 5 hrs I charge a “monthly rate†for that customer of $150.00 and I live in Northern Ca where its about 40 to 50 $ hr. He pays me on time and I how what to expect when I detail his car.

Post Thanks / Like
    pssstue,

Are you saying you do all the above for 2.5 hours work? include my basic?

No no. If I were to do all the things that I posted on top of the services your were to do. . . maybe four hours or so depending on whether or not I am polishing. I bill slightly lower per hour to compensate for the fact that I am (IMO) somewhat of a sloth.
    -Andrew.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the car is already in really good condition, you can probably two step the paint with something like Optimum Polish and Wax, do light interior cleaning and dress the leather, wheels and fenderwells in 2.5 hours. It is tough when the previous guy was doing the job so cheaply (especially by Cali standards) to convince the owner to spend quite a bit more if the car needs deep interior cleaning and a lot of paint prep.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    The original post does not specify if the owner lived in Cali orginally. Only states he had it done for $130 prior to moving to Newport. Who knows...maybe this guy lived in the sticks before which might help to explain the pricing. At any rate, he is in Cali now and you should charge your own prices.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not a "pro" so to speak, but I detail cars on the side and I have a flat rate of $125.00 for cars and that included claying the car before hand. I also do the complete interior,wheelwells and bust *** on the rims/tires. I do the engine compartment, but on something like a Ferrari, I don`t think going to the quarter carwash and using the degreaser is an option, LOL! I did a 2003 BMW Z8 and charged him $175.00 for the full detail and 3 step process, but then again, I don`t really have any overhead. This is a hobby of mine that I happen to get paid to do, nice side job to have. Good luck guys! BTW, I would never charge someone more just because the car is expensive, thats just bad business IMO.
    Roger R

-2005 Crossfire Limited

-06` Car Care count..(1)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information