Post Thanks / Like
    Hey all you professionals, I got a few questions that I would greatly appreciate if you would answer them.

On average...how many vehicles do you finish in a day?

How many people are in your crew? Where do you find these people?

How many days a week do you keep your shop open for business?

Thanx to anybody who takes the time out to answer these questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    1- On average I can finish either 2 cars a day, about 8 hours or 1 large SUV, about 6 hours.

2- I`m a one person mobile detailing business. I go out to each customer’s home and personally detail their cars.

3- Most appointments are scheduled for five days a week, Tuesday through Saturday. Although I do work Mondays and even some Sundays when necessary.

Post Thanks / Like
    1. Depends on what level of cleaning they want. I`ve done 9 cars in one day-8 washes and one exterior detail. I can do 2-3 details in a day, depending on the condition of the vehicels and the time of year. Shorter winter days and 2 is about as good as you can get. When my kids are working with me in the summer, we can do 4-5 details in one day.

2. I am by myself most of the year, except in the summer and every other Christmas break when my kids help. They are now nearly 17 and 19 and have been helping me pretty regularly for about 4 years now. I had a girl helping me about 5 years ago, she was a mobile detailer using the Dri-Wash system and wasn`t doing very well, so she started helping me when she didn`t have anything scheduled--which was often. She went back to school to get her degree so that ended her being able to help me, although we do keep in touch. Just real hard to find quality help in this business. Hard to keep them too because after working for a while, some get the brilliant idea that they can run a mobile detailing business too-starting with trying to undercut you with your customers. Hasn`t happened to me personally but I`ve talked to several who`ve had that happen.

3. I take appointments 7 days a week most of the year, 6 days in the summer since I have help. I get more than enough days off when it rains.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by standalonez
    Hey all you professionals, I got a few questions that I would greatly appreciate if you would answer them.

Thanx to anybody who takes the time out to answer these questions.

1.) On average, one. I could fit two into a day, but that`s a little busier than I like to stay, plus those would be long hours (8-10 for two cars). SUV`s take me ~6, so I never double book them.

2.) Just me. That way I can keep costs low, and don`t have to put up with people. I don`t like people (unless they`re giving me money, then I`ll pretent to like them ).

3.) I`m mobile. Huge advantage for my customers, lower start up / operating costs for me, and the cool thing is - no need to keep a shop open. If I don`t have something booked, I spend the day on the couch, on the computer playing Counter-Strike, or taking the girlfriend to the zoo. Beats sitting in a chair at an office waiting for someone to walk in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanx for the responses...keep them coming. I got another few questions to add...

Is this your main job or is it a side job to put extra money in your pockets?

Do you get a lot of business or does it get really slow at times?

And if any body is really bored and wants to help me out, can you pm me with your basic detail procedures(say you`re working on a midsize sedan)???

thanx to every body who has taken time out to answer my questions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanx for the responses...keep them coming. I got another few questions to add...

And if any body is really bored and wants to help me out, can you pm me with your basic detail procedures(say you`re working on a midsize sedan)???

thanx to every body who has taken time out to answer my questions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    ... Hard to keep them too because after working for a while, some get the brilliant idea that they can run a mobile detailing business too-starting with trying to undercut you with your customers. Hasn`t happened to me personally but I`ve talked to several who`ve had that happen...
    Probably because you`re focused on the highest quality instead of the lowest price and they know they haven`t got a chance competing against you on that.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do one a day.. sometimes two, the second being one of my own, and that is just maintenance.

Just moi.

My detailing schedule is centered around my fire department work schedule and my schedule at the fire academy.

It`s a paying hobby.. pays for vacations and my flight lessons.

I am busy in the spring and fall... summer has it`s share, and I close down for the winter.

Exteriors:

I start with vacuuming the interior and trunk vehicle cleaning the interior glass, washing, removal of road tar, claying, rewashing, buffing a section at a time, polishing a section at a time, then applying the LSP one section at a time, dressing the tires, cleaning the exterior glass then doing a "quality control check" by pulling the car out and checking it in the daylight, QD`s as I go along.

Interiors: vacumming the interior, removing any "gar-bahge" from under the seats, bagging anything of value, such as lost jewelry, coinds, cash and placing them in ziploc bags to give back to the vehicle owner.

For cleaning.. I start at the headliner, proceed to the seats and then pedals, mats and carpeting.

Post Thanks / Like
    The amount of cars I do depends on what they are getting done.

There are 2 of us. (Our third partner is there when we are really busy in between his other job)

We are open 5.5 days (Saturday is just a half day unless we get a lot of work in.)

This is my main job.

Business is up and down. Last month was slooowww. Last week was nuts. I hope it stays like this for long while.

James
    Platinum Touch Auto Care

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Shop is open from 8 til 6, Monday thru Saturday.

Most sedans take 5-6 hours, and most SUV/Vans require 7-8 hours.

$200 for sedans, $250 SUv/Van. $25 Black surcharge.

Between three of us, we work 160 manhours per week.

Weather does not affect our schedule...

We usually have 12-15 cars on the upcoming calendar.

Finding good help is quite difficult. Look for good work ethic, not experience.

Hope this helps!

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Buffit
    My Shop is open from 8 til 6, Monday thru Saturday.

Most sedans take 5-6 hours, and most SUV/Vans require 7-8 hours.

$200 for sedans, $250 SUv/Van. $25 Black surcharge.

Between three of us, we work 160 manhours per week.

Weather does not affect our schedule...

We usually have 12-15 cars on the upcoming calendar.

Finding good help is quite difficult. Look for good work ethic, not experience.

Hope this helps!

Jim

How can you run a legit business with a shop for $25.00 a hour?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doged
    How can you run a legit business with a shop for $25.00 a hour?

Doged~ I think what he means is that he charges them $25 extra if the car is black.

Gonzo~ I am going to school to be a fireman right now- im taking gen eds, then fire science degree, then emt classes. I am going to go volunteer this week at a station by my house. I have been thinking about doing the same thing that you do on my off time (detail cars for extra $$$).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Buffit
    Look for good work ethic, not experience.

:werd: Much easier to train someone willing but inexperienced than break the bad habits of a detailing `know it all`.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    In my fixed location business on an average day during our busy season we`ll have 4-6 cars in the shop. Usually they all aren`t full details but rather 2 or 3 fulls a couple wash & wax mini-details and perhaps an interior or an exterior. We do hand washing as well and may see 3-7 per day on top of the detailing. This is with a crew of 3 full timers. Shop is open 8-6 m-f and 8-4 sat. Saturday is mostly a hand washing day.

Post Thanks / Like
    I work for a good friend, he treats it like a partnership... i recieve half of the income from the jobs we do(minus a little $$ for expenses). we work almost every day really. m-f we try and do two full details each day, on cars and suv`s at least. weekends vary. we do very thorough details and use the highest quality products(like menzerna)... the results are worth the time and effort. i take a great deal of pride in my work so i take my time if needed... i detail cars like they`re my own, nothing feels worse than delivering a vehicle that you`re not satisfied with. i`m not finished until the vehicle is flawless.

i like to start working around 10am, unless i have a client`s car to pick up earlier than that. i get most of my work done at night. i like working late because i`m more productive. we do things a little differently but it works well for us.... we are almost always booked at least 3 weeks out.

Thread Information