Post Thanks / Like
    Now I know it goes against all aspects of Autopianism to even think about using a 3 year old plastic brush with mud, bugs, and brake dust ground into it on our coveted vehicles, but seeing is how this is the Professional section I`m looking for information on a business opportunity.

I have no experience as a pro detailer, but have done some cars for money for friends and family (same old story) and have been learning about detailing and dreamin` of a business venture for a few years now. I am in no position to do anything right now (I`m in school for another 2 years), but I do enjoy dreaming and coming up with all kinds of hypothetical situations - it keeps me going.

That being said, from what I can gather from the real professionals on here from the past few years is that not everyone in the world has the interest or desire to get a full-on professional detail job and many that do, want to pay $20 for a perfect job. Those are obviously not the customers I would want for a REAL detailing shop (or legitimate mobile operation). This has been repeated many, many times on this board and it makes sense.

BUT is there an opportunity to make money from those people out there who are completely content with taking their car down to a self service/coin op car wash that is decked out complete with pressure washer, dirty brush, and tri-color foamy clear coat Brazilian hot wax super-duper treatment?

I have to believe that at least some of these operations must some make money because they are everywhere.

What I am looking for is anyone who has some experience with these types of operations. Anyone have any numbers? What kind of traffic flows through these things everyday? What are the biggest expenses? How many employees are needed? What kind of upkeep is necessary for the equipment? What is the amount of money people spend in the bays? What is the amount of money people spend at the vac/fragrance stations? On average, how many people who use the car wash bay also use the vac station? etc., etc., etc.

Again, I know this goes against what a lot of us like to deal with vehicles personally and professionally, but I`m looking at this as a business -- not a way to deliver the perfect shine with awesome customer service, a clean shop, and a great location, but a way to tap the lower-end of the market.

Thanks for your time.

Post Thanks / Like
    After a little bit of looking around I found this:

http://www.dultmeier.com/pdfs/StartWash.pdf

It has some very detailed info for guesstimating many of the factors I asked about above.

I would, of course, still love some real life feedback.

Edit (addition):

And how `bout these guys:

Lighthouse Carwash

That looks like a very interesting design. Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Self serve coin Ops make tons of money . Like any business location is the key to how well you will do . I would love to open one up here , I even have the perfect location in mind , I just don`t have the million or so dollars to get it going. The way to go is with 4 or 6 self service bays plus an automatic touchless bay .
    Good things are not cheap, and cheap things are seldom good !

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollman
    The way to go is with 4 or 6 self service bays plus an automatic touchless bay .

That set-up is exactly what I was thinking of. I got a ballpark figure for that kind of set-up from a Lighthouse Car Wash distributor (link in a previous post) of $240,000 shipped, erected, and including state sales tax.

The location and intitial construction would be two of the biggest costs along with the carwash equipment. But as far as I can tell they need very little attention once set-up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t forget push button sinks and crank towel rollers! Those 2 features alone keep me going to the same coin op. Gives me the chance to clean up my MFs after drying and get them really dry for cleaning glass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Find a few good “licensed†business brokers in your area. Undoubtably they will have had experience with it. If not ask this dealer if you can have three “established business†and contact names. IMHO your looking at over a $M investment. Banks often own car washes by default and sometimes you can make a deal with them.

Good luck

Thread Information