Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    EBAY AUCTION

Here is another example of Meguiars stepping up to help the people hit by Katrina. All money made from this auction will go to charity.
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice idea but why doesn`t Meguiars donate the money itself instead of getting others to do it through auctions? I have the same problem with celebrities. They donate stuff they most likely got for free from movies, TV shows, etc and use it to get others to give up their money, yet you don`t hear about too many celebrities digging deep into their own pockets.

Not meant as a bash on Meguiars, this is a very common charity thing that many businesses do. I just wonder why those with deep pockets don`t just make a donation themselves. :nixweiss
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    Nice idea but why doesn`t Meguiars donate the money itself instead of getting others to do it through auctions? I have the same problem with celebrities. They donate stuff they most likely got for free from movies, TV shows, etc and use it to get others to give up their money, yet you don`t hear about too many celebrities digging deep into their own pockets.

Not meant as a bash on Meguiars, this is a very common charity thing that many businesses do. I just wonder why those with deep pockets don`t just make a donation themselves. :nixweiss

Because this way everone benefits. The customer gets reduced priced(or in this case collector) items and gets to save a ton of money, as well as knowing that the money spent is going to a worthy cause. Meguiars gets to move old out stock, overstock, discontinued, etc. inventory, donates the proceeds to charity, and then gets a tax writeoff. The unfortane victims of Katrina get food, water, medical supplies and attention because of the money donated. Everyone makes out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very good point Scottwax . Seems more business promotion of self oriented than " we really do care " type thing .

If they matched every dollar they make with their own that would still barely be cutting into .001 % of their profits or something similar though .

Oh well , hope all the people affected by the storms go on and get thru it allright .

Post Thanks / Like
    I just wonder why those with deep pockets don`t just make a donation themselves.

I don`t know that they havn`t already donated money. I understand your thought but I try not to worry too much about what others have or havn`t done. I will bid on the wax to help out a little bit myself.
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax

Exactly......
    "Life is not measured by the breathes we take, but by the moments that take our breathes away" :punk:

Post Thanks / Like
    We don`t know if, or how much, any individual or company, Meguiar`s included, has given. As far as any of us know, Meg`s may have given money as well as running the auction. Seems wrong to paint Meguiar`s, who is clearly doing something to help, in a negative light.

I don`t think we should be critical of any person or company who is helping. I know that was not anyones intent, but that is the impression I`m beginning to get from some responses when reading this thread. Anyone know of other companies doing things to help? We should mention them here and reward their charity with our continued support.

gbackus has it right. The auction is a win-win-win for everyone. I`t a smart approach.

I encourage every person and company to help, to the extent they can, our neighbors who have lost everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thank Meguiar`s for setting this up. I think it is a win-win for everybody. We don`t know how much they have donated in private. What is done in private is seen by God in heaven. Wes

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, its for a great cause..but $213 for a tin of wax signed by Barry Meguiar?? :think: Thats not even really a collectors item..its signed by the company CEO who has a cheesy TV show..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfelbab
    We don`t know if, or how much, any individual or company, Meguiar`s included, has given. As far as any of us know, Meg`s may have given money as well as running the auction. Seems wrong to paint Meguiar`s, who is clearly doing something to help, in a negative light.

I`m sorry if I seem overly critical, I wasn`t meaning to. I`m just saying that more money in a quicker timeframe would get to the victims if the money was donated directly instead of through an auction. You are right, the money is going to a good cause (along with about $62 billion of our tax dollars) but I question the efficiency of auctions vs direct donations. I also feel people would be more willing to participate in such an auction if they already know what Meguiars (or any other company conducting an auction) has already contributed. Fair enough?

Hollywood celebrities though? Not cutting them an ounce of slack. Samuel L. Jackson put it best when he said (I`m paraphrasing here) that celebrities who rely on Joe Six Pack to do the donating should pony up the money themselves since Joe Six Pack may really need that $5 and celebrities have millions.

Regardless, I still love Meguiars products and Barry himself is a real class act.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I always view this sort of thing as a straight charitable donation, only without the tax deduction.

The signature is just a little something that might prompt a "therein lies a tale..." story when somebody asks about it- the buyer gets to say how he helped a good cause by buying the "special" can of wax. Heh heh, the "cheesey" factor is even, IMO, a plus!

Since there`s no tax deduction for a charitable contribution, winning the bidding on the #16 can make for an even more "selfless" gesture in that the recipient really does only get a can of wax, and the knowledge that he did good, in exchange for his money. I bet plenty of people would rather have the story to tell than a few bucks off their taxes.

Maybe I`m just feeling less cynical than usual, but I think this is a pretty cool idea, a way to motivate some giving that might not happen otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you really want to help these people give to the American Red Cross , that way you know all your money is going to help them . If you need something in return for giving if so buy something from the auctions . If you just want to give from your heart then you know what to do . JMO.
    Good things are not cheap, and cheap things are seldom good !

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueM3
    Yes, its for a great cause..but $213 for a tin of wax signed by Barry Meguiar?? :think: Thats not even really a collectors item..its signed by the company CEO who has a cheesy TV show..

Exactly what I am saying, but I think my post was deleted for some reason.... He is the third generation or so of the company, doesn`t mean anything to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it`s not really a 213$ tin of wax when the money is going to something else now is it?

I don`t think the people bidding are really that concerned with what they are getting, but what they are giving.

Also, those 2nd guessing Meguiar`s charity purpose, you have to remember that no matter what, it is still a business. No matter how much you can think someone cares, in the end, it is a business world we live in and the purpose it to make money. Whether they get it through a "We donate half this profit to..." or more people start buying because they are a "giving company".

No matter how much better it would be to think this way, but I don`t believe that CEOs of companies say to themselves "I want to help the victims of..". I still believe a marketing team thinks of how they can profit off of others.

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just returned from 7 days of chainsawing (and more) in Gulfport and Biloxi, MS. I simply cannot describe the impact upon the area.

We have negotiated (with the City of Biloxi) a TWO YEAR Lease for a space for a Base Camp fo our Church Mission. We intend to provide a revolving 30 man crew, weekly, for that period.

If you REALLY want to help, find a local, faith-based organization that has a mandate to help. They will be leaner and and faster than any large organization!

HEY! I`m back already!

And seriously contemplating a second week at "Ground Zero" (Gulfport/Biloxi).

PM me if you have specific ?s!

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information