Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reflection Perfection Reflctn Perfctn's Avatar
    Putnam, Dutchess, Westchester, Fairfield countys NY and CT
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am thinking of offering my clients a tire rotation service as well for 19.99$, and only 9.99$ with any detail package! How many mobile guys offer this service??? Also is there any other special insurance that i will need???
    Reflection Perfection, Mobil Car Wash & Detailing....Serving Westchester, Dutchess, Putnam and Fairfield countys, NY and CT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you going to make any money at $9.99? Gonna take you a while with a floor jack, not to mention having to carry all that extra stuff around, and have fun with those lug nuts tightened by impact wrench...last time I let someone touch my wheels I cracked a Craftsman socket trying to get them loose to retorque.

I can`t help you with the insurance aspect, but keep in mind the number of boneheads out there using the wrong size socket, wrong torque, cross threading, etc., and how much trouble that might be on your "simple" rotation. Sorry for the cynicism.

Post Thanks / Like
    Time is money and $10 isn`t enough for all the hassles. JMO
    Good things are not cheap, and cheap things are seldom good !

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like too much risk since you can easily overtighten lugnuts that could end up being difficult to remove (woman driver, flat tire) or cause the rotors to warp (i think that can happen), or undertightening them and the obvious bad happening.

It`s also just more effort and tools, although it would make cleaning the inside of the wheels MUCH EASIER.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought it would be a good up sell service? If a customer wants a wash and vac package which I sell for 25.00$ I can also Save you the hassel of goin to get your tires rotated and do them now for 19.99$ An extra 20.00 for less then 30 minutes of work is not bad.
    Reflection Perfection, Mobil Car Wash & Detailing....Serving Westchester, Dutchess, Putnam and Fairfield countys, NY and CT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Knock yourself out man...I don`t even like doing my own anymore, and I don`t charge myself anything!

Post Thanks / Like
    Will I need any special type of insurance for this service??? Or just Garage keepers?

Post Thanks / Like
    while I really like the idea, I guarantee somebody is going to claim that their (fill in the blank) stopped working `cause you rotated the wheels/tires. :nervous:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    To me it`s to much liability for very little profit. Imagine scratching someone`s expensive 20" rim and the replacement cost. One bad rim and you would be rotating wheels for a long time to catch up. There`s a reason tires shops are in the business to do what they do. They have the proper equipment. I`d pass if I were you.

Post Thanks / Like
    It might bring you more business and as an added bonus you get to work on the tires in a better position than on the car. Use a good torque wrench if you do for sure. Or as a percaution use an air gun and go over each lug with a torque wrench for security. I say go for it, the extra comfort you`ll get from working on the rims while on the table will compensate for the energy it takes to change the tire, and you will be increasing profits too. Most shops have a disclaimer now when it comes to rims and if I was you I`d get one too, "Not responsible for damage to rims" but say it nicer than that. Just say you are very careful, but sometimes rims are damaged and people aren`t aware of it and sometimes minor scratching might happen. I don`t know of any garages around here that accept responsibilty for rim damage, it is well known that the car owner takes a chance when dealing with tire removal for any reason.

The car detailing market is much more competetive now with shops offering more and more services, seperating yourself from the others by offering additional services can only be a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    your nutzzzzz, If you have to do it at least charge $100.
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not offer a tire rotation service. However, this sounds like something that could be offered as a premium service such as a `Wheel Detailing Package`. Included in the package would be 1- removing, cleaning, polishing and protecting all wheel surfaces, 2- thoroughly cleaning and detailing wheel wells. Of course, this service would need to be priced at least at the same hourly rate charged for other detailing services.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mirrorfinishman
    This sounds like something that you would want to offer as a premium service such as a `Wheel Detailing Package`. Included in the package would be 1- removing, cleaning, polishing and protecting all wheel surfaces, 2- thoroughly cleaning and detailing wheel wells. Of course, this service would need to be priced at least at the same hourly rate you charge for your other detailing services.

Bingo! This takes it out of the realm of `mechanic` to ultra-thorough detailer. As a customer, I would wonder why a detailer would offer `tire rotation`, I wouldn`t wonder why a detailer would offer a `wheel detailing package` that included free rotation.
    `06 Honda Ridgeline

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for your replys! I am gonna talk to my state farm agent and see what he says regarding insurance issues. I really like your idea mirriorfinishman about the Wheel Detailing package with a rotation!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Reflctn Perfctn
    I really like your idea mirrorfinishman about the Wheel Detailing package with a rotation!

Actually, it was Joe`s reply(Superior Shine) about how you have to charge at least $100 that got me to thinking about the package idea.

From a marketing standpoint, it is always much better to focus on the benefits of what you are offering your detailing customers rather than talk about a low price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information