Post Thanks / Like
    Semi-long post, you can skip to the end for the big question though.

Over the previous winter and spring, I got a PC, pads, polishes, waxes, cleaners, a little bit of almost everything. I had hoped to make detailing a bit of a side job over the summer, helping to earn some extra money for things, but it never really worked out. I didn`t get enough experiance in to offer services with the PC to people, so I never did. I got caught up with a new job, vacations, and my own carputer install.

There was a Nissan meet that I went to yesterday (I drive an Acura and about 4 of us also went up to hang out) and spent a lot of time behind the PC beforehand. I would really like to start work on other cars, outside of my family and immidiate friends. I loved seeing the transformation of my paint from already pretty good, to even better, I find things like that very satisfying.

It seems a bit late in the season to get started for me right now though. My first semester of college is starting hopefully, as long as the teachers/state can agree on some issues that caused a strike. Also, it`s getting into the fall and winter (maybe I`m just being a pessimist).

What I was really wondering was how you guys got started doing work detailing in your spare time. I have done simple work on my family`s cars, friend`s car, and a woman my mother works with. I find it hard to figure out how to get some new customers and get started.

Right now, there is a Caddy for sale at the barn where we board our horse at. We are very close with the owner, and I would like to try and detail her car before she sells it, and to help sell it. I have a feeling I could get some good business from the barn (24 stalls).

It is where I am planning to start, and hopefully continue from there.

What about everyone else? How did you get started? What issues did you run into starting up? Any advice?

Post Thanks / Like
    I started getting into detailing because I had wayyyy too much time on my hands. LOL, I took some meg`s wax (forgot what kind) and waxed my car like 5 times in two days... :LOLOL ....and it grew from there, always wanting my car to look better, I bought so many products I figured I should just start doing other peoples cars to pay for my obsession....when I first started it was hard to deal w/ the stress of making every car look as good as I though it should...I learned fast that not everybody has the eyes of a detailer and many of the processes and work I was doing was complete overkill...hope this helps...My advice...dont stress out...
    "God made turbo lag so V8`s could keep up!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4830Deuce
    I started getting into detailing because I had wayyyy too much time on my hands. LOL, I took some meg`s wax (forgot what kind) and waxed my car like 5 times in two days... :LOLOL ....and it grew from there, always wanting my car to look better, I bought so many products I figured I should just start doing other peoples cars to pay for my obsession....when I first started it was hard to deal w/ the stress of making every car look as good as I though it should...I learned fast that not everybody has the eyes of a detailer and many of the processes and work I was doing was complete overkill...hope this helps...My advice...dont stress out...

How did you get your first customors? It seems tough to be like "Hey, I think you should pay me $40 to wax your car since I wax mine a lot and it`s good for it and makes it look pretty" It may just be nervousness, but it seems like it would be difficult to get people to lay down the money for it. Then again, there are people here going on 10,000 cars, along with a lot of other talented people getting good money for their work.

Post Thanks / Like
    My first customers were family and friends...when your work is good the word spreads fast...I have seen the cheapest of people give me 100 bucks for an exterior detail with a 40 dollar tip. People really do expect to pay a lot more for such a great service...word of mouth is the best advertiser...I also printed out some fliers when I first started, I went around putting them in peoples mail boxes...not one call came in from those :furious: ...
    "God made turbo lag so V8`s could keep up!"

Post Thanks / Like
    I started with making business cards and flyers. So, think of a business name first then get a price list. From there I posted my flyers at local automotive stores etc. Most of my business comes from online though (car clubs). Sounds like a good place for you to start is with that nissan club, let them know your a detailer and show them your car. Offer them great deals to start to pass the word. Word of mouth is the main way to get customers as a weekend warrior. And also expect that over half of the people that call you will not actually have you detail their car, its frustrating but in time you`ll get more and more business. I hope this helps.
    1970 Camaro RS
    2013 Optima SX
    2005 Escalade Platinum
    2000 Integra GSR

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, here’s my story as short as possible. My dad cuts hair on the side in a barber shop he installed in his basement. When I lived at home a friend of mines dad owned a car lot. He used to detail for him. I stopped by and he gave me some stuff he wasn`t using. Full circle, I`m in my driveway detailing my old ford tempo. People getting haircuts would walk by and would give me the dumb comments, "mine next?†I started saying sure, next weekend etc... After a few cars I had more word of mouth referrals than I could deal with. I started charging 80bucks a full detail. By keeping prices low allot of people wanted it done, why not its only 80 dollars. I still did an outstanding job on every car, took about 5hrs or so per car. I didn`t care, it was still extra money. Now I have a rotary, all the chemicals, etc.... I`m still really reasonable I think at about $125 a full car detail, $150 or so for large SUVs etc...and get even better results! I do it because I love it. Like you said, it’s awesome to see a cars transformation. Its all word of mouth and letting people know you detail. Just tell everyone you know that you’re starting up and watch the phone start ringing! Charge what you think its worth. If you do quality work, everyone will come to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I started when I was 16, I had been detailing my family`s cars since I was around 12, before then it was my bike. When I got me DL at 16, I loaded up my supplies in my Dad`s truck and headed out. My little brother and I went door to door in upscale neighborhoods and basically sold them on my services. I still have som eof these people as customers.

I don`t do maintenance washes, full details only and I am as busy as I want to be now. What I would do is make sure that you do EVERY detail that comes your way, you can get picky later. I would do free ones on the weekends if I wasn`t booked, friends, family, etc. Being known as "that guy that details cars" really helps. When they think of you, they should think about your love of detailing. At least that is what helped me gain referrals.

Good luck with it!!!
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    4830 - I have thought about flyers, but thought it would attract too many cars in horrible shape, and not enough repeat business. I don`t want to end up spending an entire day on a car never to see it again consistantly.

I have thought of making up a business card though, not as much to promote a business, but more of a simple contact, give a couple to each person who I detail for to give to a friend if they choose.

Pontman - I have considered the idea, local enthusiests, the only problem for me around here is that there isn`t much of a younger (or older) group of people who really enjoy their cars. There are some scattered here and there, but it is nothing like some other areas of the country.

Krep - Awesome story.

ebp - That`s a bit more aggressive than I, going door to door. It`s awesome to hear that it worked out though. I`ve tried to get to know my neighbors more lately, stopping in at their yard sales just to chat, that sort of thing. It feels like a step in the right direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote name=`UnsanePyro`]4830 -

I have thought of making up a business card though, not as much to promote a business, but more of a simple contact, give a couple to each person who I detail for to give to a friend if they choose.

QUOTE]

Look into LateNight Printers for your business cards. Their website is: http://www.latenightprinters.com and they are always running specials. I had my logo already, but they designed a full color, two-sided business card for me for free. You just pay for the cards...I think I got 5,000 cards for $200. My average detail runs about that much, so the cards have more than paid for themselves...many times over in fact. Good Luck with the business.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    People at work noticed how well my car looked and started asking me if I would do their cars, spread to their family and friends (and neighbors)... any of my business is word of mouth On one recent detail away from home, the guy had two contractors there as well who stopped to look at the car I detailed and asked for my card to do their cars as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Here’s just another quick addition to the initial question, not to hijack this thread. How do you do outside jobs (other than your own car) via Rotary, PC, or by hand. I use a rotary myself, just curious to see if anyone else does. Couldn`t imagine doing everything by hand, at least if your not getting extra for it.

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by krep28
    Here’s just another quick addition to the initial question, not to hijack this thread. How do you do outside jobs (other than your own car) via Rotary, PC, or by hand. I use a rotary myself, just curious to see if anyone else does. Couldn`t imagine doing everything by hand, at least if your not getting extra for it.

I use all three of what you mentioned; there is NO way that I could do stuff to other peoples` cars without my machines.

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello there UnsanePyro. I noticed that most of the replies you are getting to your question are from people in the South, West, and Mid-West. Personally, I have lived in other parts of the country, but was born in the Northeast (and I still live there). Anyway I find people in the Northeast, particularly the New England states, have a different mind set when it comes to being consumers particularly when it involves their cars. Most New Englanders don`t give a crap about their cars and with the messy winter weather they quickly turn to crap. When I was in college, my friend and I had a detailing business during the summer. We probably priced ourselves out of the market, but we were doing all the work by hand.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that in New England it will not be easy to suceed. However, some of the suggestions you`re getting are solid and worked for me. I know making flyers and leaving them on cars worked well. I also left flyers at local businesses near the register. It`s not really possible to know who will be a repeat customer and who won`t. So, mass marketing is your best bet. Besides, since you are only operating in the summer how much repeat business do you really expect to get?? Your best type of repeat business will be if you detail a car this summer will they come back to you next summer. Your best bet is to detail as many cars as possible. They will tell their friends and you will get more business. Business cards are also a great suggestion. I also have a couple of my own suggestions I would like to throw out. Sell gift certificates!!! You can get some blank gift certs at an office supply store like Staples. I can`t tell you how many of these I sold and the low percentage of them that were actually redeemed. Also, don`t be afraid to offer a wash & vac package. This is a "gateway" sale and allows the customer to get their feet wet and achieve a comfort level with you. A full detail often follows. Friends and family are also a great resource. You can get a lot of business out of these people and also great word of mouth reference. I know my Dad used to insist that all of his friends get their car detailed by me. Another one is take some before and after pics of cars you have done to show a potential client. Lastly, keep your personal car shining. Your personal car is your calling card. The better your personal car looks the more excited people will be about getting their car detailed by you.

Thread Information