Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a story I just recieved this morn`n, and it just about sums up why along with another post I made on way I might like detailing on the side. Albeit I`m a novice and is proud to learn from the people here. I live in Chicago and a friend of mine whose in the same car club needed to find a detailer. Well after much searching he was coming up empty handed. So, I recommended this person because I`ve read some of his post, well my bud seen a post that said the contrary, so he tryed it on my recommendation, well here is his story. I did delete the name of the detailer so no hard feelings..

"Well, I ended up using ****** a*** *****h. The guy talks a good game, but I am not entirely pleased with the results. At first, he totally missed the appointment and was not there when I showed up at his building. When he finally did get the car, I would say he did a fair job. The car looks good, but then again it looked pretty good when I gave it to him.

There are several little marks in the clearcoat that he could not get out. He said it would require wet sanding and did not recommend it. I agreed, but his attention to detail was pretty weak. The car still has wax residue all over it, and some areas still have wax that was not removed. The wheels are dirty as are my exhaust tips. And my windows have water spots all over the place.

Perhaps my expectations are too high, but at the moment I can`t say I recommend him."

This just ruined a Friday and I feel awful for my buddy..

The Game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about that, unfortuneatly there are very few people in this world who can detail up to the level expected by an Autopian.

Part of the reason I got into this business was because a family member of mine had their car detailed by a local "pro", and after seeing it, I thoght "I could do that, hell, I could do better".

Another thing to consider: Sometimes wheels won`t always come 100%. Espicially Volvos, Audis and BMW`s, as well as any high-performance car have a tendency to get dust burned into the rims. Same for exhaust tips, I`ve had more than a few that won`t take a good polish, ever after Alumabrite, ECP restorer via steel wool and ECP one-step via terry.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn that sucks sorry to hear that bro. No offense to the guy who did it, but shouldn`t we know who so as reference for future customers or so he can tell his side of the story?

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW did you point out the problems areas(water spots, wax residue, etc) to the detailer? If so what did he say?

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately the other side of the tale was told, tho` not directly to me, it has a 180 degree spin on it. Out of RESPECT for the people here and the INTEGRITY the Autopia community as a whole stand for, I just perfer not to. I would never take food from a person`s family and this info., may well just do that. I hope to one day to be counted as your equal and this burden (names given) I feel will only undermine my efforts and the people here. I only hope that others understand. As for my bud he`ll work it out with the gentleman as they should, in private and not spewed on a public forum. Oh, my guy did absolve me of the guilt says " he had doubts".

I asked a question and here is the link; Pitfalls to beginner detailing? ( 1 2 3 )

The Game

http://autopia.org/forum/forumdispla...6&daysprune=28

After reading the response I`ll be a hobbyist for a while. My martial arts teacher, Grandmaster Wai Lun Choi, have always said "No worry no hurry". I`ll enjoy the journey.

The Game..

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok nevermind, that is why I wondered if the detailer had a chance to tell his story. Atleast they are working something out so that is good.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never reccommend people based on my personal releationship with them but on their professional cababilities (both in doing the work and servicing the client).

Like the poster of this thread, I`ve had to deal with the what happens when things don`t go right from "references". Sometimes I ended up having to go fix the situation myself (for free no less).

I`m glad this has a much more happier ending.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Game
    At first, he totally missed the appointment.

...his attention to detail was pretty weak

Professionalism is the key to operating a successful and profitable detailing business. Of course, customers expect to see good results; however, they are equally concerned with all of the things that you do that adds up to creating an overall good experience.

Thread Information