Post Thanks / Like
    I think on 80% of my vehicles I get some kind of response of this sort when the appointment is booked. I mean come on, what`s really a good coat? Thicker?

If someone marketed a new product called: XYZ`s Good Coat of Wax, they`d have a gold mine on their hands.

Another one I like is, "Just needs a good wax job".

This stuff gets to me sometimes with how often I hear it. I mean, its not even proper english; so where does this malarky come from?

Post Thanks / Like
    well, customers aren`t as well versed as autopians on proper terms and techniques

maybe you should explain them that a good coat of wax is applied very even and thin
    Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s generally the routine I get with my clients as well. I try to explain to them what each of my services will do for their vehicle, and let them decide what they want or are willing to pay for.

Reflection Perfection Reflctn Perfctn's Avatar
    Putnam, Dutchess, Westchester, Fairfield countys NY and CT
    Post Thanks / Like
    haha that bugs me as well, but what even bugs me even more is when a customer says "I want hot wax on my car"

Post Thanks / Like
    I too have gotten that about 90% of the time. Most of my customers have been stubborn as hell, but I got full details out of a good amount of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most people do not know what clay, compounding and polishing are. To them detailing is getting their car washed and the inside cleaned with possibly a coat of wax.

The seem to understand `shampooing` the carpets and seats though probably because they get it done to their house carpets. Also seem to understand that leather needs more care than cloth but they haven`t learned about paint care yet.

Make it your job to educate your customers
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess it is no worse than female customers calling and asking "when can you do me".
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    I guess it is no worse than female customers calling and asking "when can you do me".
    I`ve had a hot young "lady" do that to me once. Though she wasn`t talking about her car
    Carvista Inc. - Asper School of Business

Post Thanks / Like
    Heh, one of my neighbors had his black Altima keyed slightly. He tried to fix it himself, with Turtle Wax. He said it didn`t come off, and that maybe he needed to leave the wax on for longer to fix it . 35 minutes later, I damn near made an Autopian out of him .
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    People who think my sedan is brand new tend to ask what kind of wax I use, but the more car enthuisiast types also ask how I take care of it.

I don`t think you can expect average people to know better, anymore than you can expect them to know what makes a good martini, audiophile sound system, powerful computer, etc. When you are an enthuisiast in these kinds of areas, you represent a very small group.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Reflctn Perfctn
    haha that bugs me as well, but what even bugs me even more is when a customer says "I want hot wax on my car"

Do your customers have Hair growing on there cars?

Ron Harris

Concours Auto Salon

Authorized Modesta Paint Coatings Applier.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had somebody ring up telling me that he didn`t think he`d benefit from a full exterior detail as his car was an everyday+kids car. Then in the next breath went on to say "I just want a really good polish though". I then had to explain that that was kind of one in the same thing.

Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinTRW
    People who think my sedan is brand new tend to ask what kind of wax I use, but the more car enthuisiast types also ask how I take care of it.

I don`t think you can expect average people to know better, anymore than you can expect them to know what makes a good martini, audiophile sound system, powerful computer, etc. When you are an enthuisiast in these kinds of areas, you represent a very small group.

To true, i often get this comment on my own car. I live in a rather large appartment complex, and i ususally do all of my polishing and waxing under my car port. So of course i get alot of passerbys admiring the work. And one of the commen comments is "So, what kinda wax you use`n?" And my typical responce is "If only it where that simple". Needless to say ive gotten several jobs int eh complex from those little conversations.

As for a proper audiophile system, or a powerful computer...that a bigger can of worms then a Dawn wash debate with a Zaino Zeolit.

As for me, i take my amps tube, momoblock, my speakers DIY, and my cables reasonabley priced. And my computers on an Asus, with an AMD strapped to them. :dance

Thread Information