Post Thanks / Like
    Now, I just need customers...where do you guys advertise?

I was planning on doing the following:

1) Magnet with business name and phone number for the Porsche

2) Advertising in the newspaper

3) going out and putting my business card under windshield wipers

4) getting some good details done for the neighbors and having them pass the word

5) giving friends business cards to distribute

Any other ideas? how do you guys do it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Combine #s 4 and 5 and you will have plenty of customers. When I finish a detailing job, I always have a stack of business cards ready to hand to the customer so he/she can spread the word with some contact info. I`ll give the customer one card so they can keep in touch with me and, after seeing that I have lots of cards, usually they will ask for more to give to their friends/family. Unless you can`t handle the volume, advertising in the newspaper is a good idea (Yellow Pages would be more successful). It wouldn`t hurt to advertise on your car, especially on a Porsche. Don`t bother putting business cards under wipers, most people (myself included) find that an annoyance and end up pitching them in the trash.

Hope this helps and good luck with your business!

Post Thanks / Like
    QUOTE]Don`t bother putting business cards under wipers, most people (myself included) find that an annoyance and end up pitching them in the trash.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention they know who to call when issuing a littering ticket when lots of people throw them on the ground.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome. Thanks guys. I just posted an add in Westword, one of Denver`s most distributed free newspapers. Hopefully that`ll kickstart business.

Also, I`ll not put things under wipers... Thanks for that advice! You guys are great!

Post Thanks / Like
    When I first started in my plumbing business:

1. Returned phone calls promptly

2. Showed up on time and Did exactly what i said i was goig to do

2. People love personality, I always was curtiouse and explained what they were getting and showed them when I was finished what was done.

3. Sent a Thank you letter to every new customer for thier business.

These simple things went a long way in establishing a customer base.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ooo...good call on the thank you letter... I read the sticky at the top of this forum, and those sound like awesome ideas...I`ll be bringing my camera with on many details...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottabir
    Don`t bother putting business cards under wipers, most people (myself included) find that an annoyance and end up pitching them in the trash.

Not to mention they know who to call when issuing a littering ticket when lots of people throw them on the ground.

:nixweiss I got several customers just by putting my business card on their door (between the glass and weatherstripping). One of them was nearly 10 years ago and I still clean their cars every 2 weeks. I really only do that on cars I really want to detail, not something I do all the time.

Definitely get listed in the yellow pages. Yes, your monthly rate for a business line is higher and you may have to wait for a while until the new phone book comes out, but if someone who has had your car and may have lost can simply call information for your number it really helps.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Hehehe that was more geared torwards flyers distributed in say a parking lot of a mall. Scottsdale (Az.) was kind enough to issue a $125 fine and a notice to clean up the parking lot.

While I am sure a few business cards on select cars is fine (I do it), I would hate to see an autopian get a littering ticket trying to gain customers.

Post Thanks / Like
    The things that have worked best for us is family handing out cards and having an ad in the free paper that is in the coffee shops and things. That worked way better then planned.

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi folks, Im new here and the name is Brian. I too have just opened shop. Its been a passion of mine for 15 years and something always came up that prevented me from going forward with it (marriage, birth of my son, divorce etc etc etc) but now I am in a position to go for it. Porknbeans was correct.... do details for family, friends and neighbors. They will definately pass the word around. 2 neighbors have already gotten me 4 jobs already. I also drive a wrecker part time at night. We do mainly AAA work. I leave cards on the dashboard and people I tow are interested in my services. I probably give out 5-8 cards a night. Good luck to you Porschephile. I hope it turns out better than you expect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! you too Throttle! good luck to the n00bs!

Thread Information