Post Thanks / Like
    Hello everyone...new guy question here. I am learning that I have tons of options with products. My question is...when using a premium product for detailing, do you charge a bit more to cover the cost of boutique products compared to mass produced items like Chemical Guy et al?

Also,in regards to Meg`s...are they cosidered boutique?

Thanks again from the newbie w/a passion for making cars beautiful!:wavey :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t charge more for anything except Souveran.

In most instances, for the amount of boutique product you`d use vs. mass produced or OTC products, the cost difference really isn`t much. You may be talking a dollar extra total on a full detail.

Meguiars Mirror Glaze and Body Shop Professional products are professional level detailing products and their Detailer line is assembly line detailing products, IMO.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I just work it into the price - if I do a high end black or red car, I`ll usually go for P085RD instead of FPII, and if I had some I would use Souveran, etc. For example, I`d probably charge an extra 10-15 bucks to detail a Ferrari/Vette over a "normal" car of comprable size and conditon, because #1 I`d use the expensive stuff, and #2, sometimes when people pay more, they feel that they`re getting a higher quality service.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the best in my arsenal on every car. We treat a kia like a rolls royce, or are we treating the rolls like a kia--i don`t remember!
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Using something less than the best is contrary to the "Autopian Way".

Do it right the first time.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TheFiveO

...when using a premium product for detailing, do you charge a bit more to cover the cost of boutique products compared to mass produced items like Chemical Guy et al?

I offer my customers the option of choosing a polymer product for an added charge of $20 per vehicle. Of course, the polymer product costs more, however it`s also about the benefits of using an additional premium product.

Post Thanks / Like
    My clients get charged the same, regardless of what I use. Even if I use Souveran I don`t up the price as how much of it am I actually going to use per vehicle? Not a lot!

If a car is really trashed and is going to need a lot of paint correction, or if a client really wants me to go to town with multiple glazes, sealants and waxes than I will increase the price, but for a "regular" detail then the price stays as it is.

Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    The price you charge must give your customer value and give you a fair profit. You need to choose products and tune your process to do both.

Keep in mind that for highly labor intensive processes like detailing material cost is a very small (often negligible) percentage of the total. A product that costs you $0.50 less money but costs you 30 minutes of extra work is not a bargain. You need to keep track of what how each product affects the job as a whole.

If a premium product saves you work, gives a better result or improves your image with a customer it’s making you money.

Meguiar’s serves customers from individual craftsman detailers to high volume detailers to retail consumers to paint and body shops to major auto manufacturers.

They have a reputation for high quality and a significant presence in the specialty/collector car world but high volume manufacturers also use them with speed and efficiency. You can buy many of their products in 55gal drums if you like. I wouldn’t consider that “boutiqueâ€.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by the other pc

The price you charge must give your customer value and give you a fair profit. You need to choose products and tune your process to do both.

Keep in mind that for highly labor intensive processes like detailing material cost is a very small (often negligible) percentage of the total. A product that costs you $0.50 less money but costs you 30 minutes of extra work is not a bargain. You need to keep track of what how each product affects the job as a whole.

If a premium product saves you work, gives a better result or improves your image with a customer it’s making you money.

Meguiar’s serves customers from individual craftsman detailers to high volume detailers to retail consumers to paint and body shops to major auto manufacturers.

They have a reputation for high quality and a significant presence in the specialty/collector car world but high volume manufacturers also use them with speed and efficiency. You can buy many of their products in 55gal drums if you like. I wouldn’t consider that “boutiqueâ€.

PC.

Well put.:up
    "If you want to be rich - work. If you want to be clever - study. But if you want to be happy - do what you really like"

Post Thanks / Like
    I will charge more for higher end products if a customer wants Zaino, I have to charge a little more, due to it being a much more expensive process than say P21S.
    Carvista Inc. - Asper School of Business

Thread Information