Post Thanks / Like
    How many of you add this service to your detailing company? is it hard to do? Can you go mobile with this service?

Post Thanks / Like
    I detail at a fixed location and offer window tinting to my customers. I found a local guy that will come right to my garage and do it at a discounted price so I can make some money on it. Window tinting is very tedious and takes a lot of practice to get good at, so it`s easier for me to just have someone come to my shop and tint the vehicle while I am detailing it. It usually takes no more than an hour for him to do it compared to about 3 hours for me to do it since I am not experienced at tinting. The way I see it is that I get paid a little extra for my detail without having to do any extra work besides making a phone call & setting up the appointment. Some day I would like to practice at tinting more, but I keep busy enough with details alone.

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a tint shop literally just 40 feet away from me.

I don`t see that the skills are related. He used to detail, and now sends me his referrals.

I refer folks to him.... To put it in perspective, I don`t do car audio work either, altho, I suppose we could.

Seems to work this way.

I don`t want to be all things to all people.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Look around. Most companies that do multiple, unrelated services are mediocre at all of them, at best. The main reason companies diversify is because they can`t survive on their main business and instead of concentrating on fixing it, they diversify.

As Warren Buffet says, "Diversify your portfolio, not your business."
    `06 Honda Ridgeline

Post Thanks / Like
    your right.

Post Thanks / Like
    my local tint shop does amazing tint jobs, he also details ouf his shop. His detail work is pretty average , but like i said the tint jobs are good
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know, I think I have to disagree with most of you guys. You want to be a master of one service, but it doesn`t mean you can`t offer others. That being said, I wholly support having a tint guy, a PDR guy, audio guy or remote starters guy, who can come in and do cars while you are working too. It`s money for you, money for them, and referrals will work both ways in the end as well. And who knows, you might have someone who wants their windows tinted and they end up being a customer for detailing as well. As long as you find guys who are good at what they do, I don`t see a downside...

As far as going mobile, tinting needs to be done indoors. Otherwise, dust and particulate matter in the air will settle between the glass and tint and create noticeable imperfections.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just have various names that I pass on to people for tints, bodywork, etc. I looked into getting into PDR, too bad its expensive and I`m uncoordinated. Same problems with coordination and patience go for tinting.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Thread Information