Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been detailing for friends, family and neighbors for the past two years. This is maybe a 2-3 time thing a week, but this summer I want to start doing this as a full time job. First thing i`ve decided to do is to design and order some business cards. However, I`m only 17, and i live in NJ. What are the laws pertaining to starting my own business? Where do i register it and is it actually necessary? I just dont want to put "EDISON DETAILING" (edison is the town i reside in) and then have the FEDs knocking at my door because I did something illegal.

What are the other legal issues that come along with starting this business? I havnt considered this much ealier because most of my business was through word of mouth. But now that i`ll be distributing cards, i think everything needs to be legit to avoid trouble..etc. What is your input? thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m 18, and I`m going through much of the same stuff you are. I`m not exactly sure of how to register a business. I dont think you have to register the business, as long as you claim the income on your taxes. You`ll get most of it back anyways.

As for business cards, definetly go with overnightprints.com . I got my cards through them, and I`ve heard nothing but good comments about mine. If you want a card to model off of, PM me and I`ll send you a jpeg of mine. I dont think I`m supposed to post it to the forum, due to advertising issues.

-Tim
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    You should most definitly register yourself as a business, otherwise you`ll be considered "that kid who does car washes." Get a name and all that stuff. All about image.

Its very easy to register a business, cost is relativly cheap <$100. Go to your state`s website or the secretary of state`s website. They usually have forms online you can download and print off.

Fill them out, read their directions (they should have a detailed guide on how to start a business, tax considerations, employee stuff [if you employ someone else as well]). I know Ohio (where I live) has very good information.

I know for Ohio, they have a worksheet with a bunch of questions about your business. You can fill it out, then take it someone (names are listed) who will go over it and offer suggestions and answer questions, etc etc.

As a sole proprieter, your taxes would be done with your personal taxes which is good for you since you hav elittle experience with businesses.

I`m pretty sure you ahve to be 18 to start it up unfortunately. Use the time inbetween to save money to get some advertising out there. The reason you have to be 18 (I assume here) is that minors can`t enter into legal binding contracts, hence if you contract to work on someone`s car and break the contract, that person is screwed. The state wants to protect you and the customer.

Hope that helped.

Enthusiast Extraordinaire RuffRyder's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve looked into doing it myself in NJ (I`m older than you are though) and I think everything that you need has been covered.

My major concern in registering the business (as I`m looking for some income to get me through until September) is the zoning and the fact that it`s only going to be a temporary thing. I would be working out of my house (I have a HUGE driveway) and this area is zoned for residential.

Sorry I couldn`t be of more help, but I`m also concerned about what to do here.
    I think the amount of attention I give my `05 Steel Grey Metallic Mazda6 makes my girlfriend jealous!

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the informative replies guys. I think im going to go ahead and order some business cards just to get my service out there. I will also be operating out my house (parents house), or i can go to the customers cars, so I only expect there to be 5-6 cars on my driveway per week...i dont think my neighbors will mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your local chamber of commerce should be able to point you in the right direction. Things will be slightly different for each state and town.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to review the official Edison website below along with the The Edison Municipal Codebook link.

http://www.edisonnj.org/

http://www.edisonnj.org/clerks/codebook.asp

As far as registering your business that is usually done at the clerks office in the town that is considered the county seat in your county of New Jersey.

Thread Information