Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    A current client has requested for my company to come to the airport to clean their cars when they are away on vacation. So I`m looking to find information to better prepare myself if the need for cleaning aircraft comes up in conversation while cleaning the cars. Any information that you could pass on regarding additional insurance, chemicals and pricing structures would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Aircrafts are not detailed....

Post Thanks / Like
    What would you call it if not detailing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, planes are detailed. . . . washed and cleaned thoroughly. I had an interesting conversation with a guy while working on a few things in his hanger down at Chino Airport. He just scratched the surface on what there is to know about working around planes. Maybe you could ask your client to teach you about the plane in exchange for the cost of a detail, mnus supplies. :nixweiss Your presence alone at the airport might get you a few clients in turn. Don`t forget to stop by the AP diner and grab a bite at the counter with your logo shirt on! Do your homework and check with your insurance agent, liability gets pricey! Sorry I couldn`t be of more help.
    -Andrew.

Post Thanks / Like
    We don`t do many but theyre out there. It is a hassel to get permission to work on the airport, reclaim your waste water and sell to the pilots.

The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info guys. My client owns a company that buys,sales and leases jets and I hardly ever see him. Maybe twice year if that. I will probably have to talk with thier pilot about how to go about cleaning planes. I`m sure if the need comes around I could detail the his car in exchange for the 411 on the detailing of the planes. Looks like I may have to search a soluton for the reclam if needed. Thats uncharted waters for me.

Keep the feedback coming :up

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    We do a Gulfstream IV.

24` up to the tail, and then you get to polish the aluminum leading edge UPSIDEDOWN! Wear a safety harness (hooked to the ceiling) while you work a lift that only allows you to reach 5` in either direction, b/4 you have to unhook,go down, restabilize,move 8 feet, go back up, rehook, buff some more. Repeat. Repeat.

Good money, but real hard work, wiith a low level of gratification.

Insurance is the A/C owner responsibility... but you must be a NAMED INSURED!!!!!!

My client explains it quite simply: "Anything you break costs a minimum of $50,000."

Don`t get me started on landing gear...

Here`s the point: To me, most cars are fun, manageable, and fun to work on. Not rocket science (when you have the proper products, procedures, and tools._

We have found that we should NOT stray too far from our `core competence` of detailing automobiles.

Please read that last sentence again.

If you are really in search of ANY business, then go for it, but I`m going to back off from Planes, BOATS, and Motor Homes.

I praise the Lord - I have enough `regular` business to either reject, or overquote those `other jobs".

Find a focal point; and focus!

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m with you on most of the `other` stuff, Jim. The only reason I wax that 44` coach is because it is in a warehouse, there is good ventilation and he has a rolling staircase that is very sturdy. If I had to use a regular A frame ladder, no way would I do the work.

I have a customer who is buying a turbo prop that he wants me to wax 2-3 times a year and I told him there would have to be a proper ladder for me to use and the mechanic would have to go over the whole plane with me on what parts I need to stay away from. I figure Collinite 870 would work well for the plane.

I also do the occasional boat but only for regulars. I don`t actively encourage boating business. So many are trashed with faded gel coat (at least the ones who call me) and they don`t want to pay what it costs to bring it back properly.

I much prefer to stick within what I consider my area of expertise, which is cars, trucks, SUVs and minivans....and in that order!
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Superior Shine...

Sweet job on that Beechcraft Staggerwing!

How did you deal with the canvas surfaces? I am curious, because I have been approached by a few pilots at the airport I am taking lessons at who are interested in having their cars done when they are out flying and their planes done when they are "grounded".

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

I also do the occasional boat but only for regulars. I don`t actively encourage boating business. So many are trashed with faded gel coat (at least the ones who call me) and they don`t want to pay what it costs to bring it back properly.

Oh, man... you are really missing a good market. I have detailed at least 15 boats in the past month, and none were under $500. You get a couple of guys that are rotary proficient, and it only takes a couple of hours to make the boat shine like new.

As far as planes go, i have never stepped into that market, and I probably never will seeing that there are so many things that you can touch, and cause severe damage. If i break the outdrive on a boat, the owner may get stranded, if i leave a towel by the jet on a plane, the owner may crash. who knows.

Good luck wth the planes though, it looks like it could be a fun learning experience

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by tpgsr

Oh, man... you are really missing a good market. I have detailed at least 15 boats in the past month, and none were under $500. You get a couple of guys that are rotary proficient, and it only takes a couple of hours to make the boat shine like new.

Until my kids get here in 3 weeks, it is just me still...and to be quite honest, I really don`t enjoy detailing boats at all. I had an S500 and a newer SL500 today and believe me, I like cleaning stuff like that over boats.

Maybe if I can find some quality permanent help and pass boats off to them.....:xyxthumbs
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    most planes do not have a clear coat so that make scratch removal difficult. Prop planes are extremely dirty on the belly and takes alot of work to get them clean. And as for bugs, think hitting a bug at 60mph is bad try 200. Also most windows are not glass but plastic/plexiglass. Bring a ladder and a creaper. One trick I learned was black shoe polish on the propellers just make sure to buff dry. Spinners are a PITA to get the scratches out but if u can it will look incredible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Having a mobile detail business of my own plus a degree in aviation (pilot) I would highly recommend avoiding airplanes unless you have properly trained on them. 1) The E.P.A. has a strong presence at airports, reclaim is a necessity. 2) Planes have special little holes in different places. As stated above, anything you break cost alot of money. Plus if these little holes get clogged, you`ve just made the plane unfly-able. 3) Planes require special chemicals, mainly AP mechanic prefered, because if the dissimilar metals and their reaction to static. The list can go on and on. I`m definetly not saying to forget detailing aircraft, but please learn from an experienced person. It will be alot cheaper, and you might learn some of the tricks of the trade

Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing I know how to clean on an airplane is the windshield. Just go the same way as the wind blows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo0903
    Superior Shine...

Sweet job on that Beechcraft Staggerwing!

How did you deal with the canvas surfaces? I am curious, because I have been approached by a few pilots at the airport I am taking lessons at who are interested in having their cars done when they are out flying and their planes done when they are "grounded".

Thank you, Here is a write up on it - Stagger Wing Detail

I did the canvas all by hand. Keep track of your hours as you might lose yer arse on the first few until you learn how much time it takes you to do one and charge appropriately.
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information